Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gbrice75
  • 1 Post By JJ78

Thread: can plant protein build muscles? what about vegan bodybuilding ?

meganaruto is offline New Member

can plant protein build muscles? what about vegan bodybuilding ?

hi.....

some people say that plant protein can not build muscles even when they have all essential amino acids and eating alot of plant proteins !!! just because it is not animal protein !! i know it is lower digestible but increasing intake can overcome this problem

i know there are vegan bodybuildiers like Patrik Baboumian
    and Robert chekee ..some say they are taking steroids that mean protein source is not problem !!!

any help ?!!

any replies?

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member

m4ever is offline New Member
    Any other ideas ?

infos in study not sufficient !!

what about vegan bodybuildeirs ? robert chekee and patrik baboumian

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by meganaruto
    hi.....

some people say that plant protein can not build muscles even when they have all essential amino acids and eating alot of plant proteins !!! just because it is not animal protein !! i know it is lower digestible but increasing intake can overcome this problem

i know there are vegan bodybuildiers like Patrik Baboumian
    and Robert chekee ..some say they are taking steroids that mean protein source is not problem !!!

any help ?!!
    1- when all essential amino acids are present/sufficient, the building blocks are in place to repair/build tissue. I don't care what the source is. The required amino's are identical.

2- the idea that the only reason vegan bodybuilders can make gains is due to steroid use is ludicrous!! Steroids don't build muscle - proteins (i.e. amino acids) do. Steroids will aid that process. How many newbs have you seen (who eat animal proteins) take steroids and still make no gains/look like shit? If training and nutrition aren't in check, steroids won't do a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    1- when all essential amino acids are present/sufficient, the building blocks are in place to repair/build tissue. I don't care what the source is. The required amino's are identical.

2- the idea that the only reason vegan bodybuilders can make gains is due to steroid use is ludicrous!! Steroids don't build muscle - proteins (i.e. amino acids) do. Steroids will aid that process. How many newbs have you seen (who eat animal proteins) take steroids and still make no gains/look like shit? If training and nutrition aren't in check, steroids won't do a damn thing.
    that mean if i have sufficient amino acids and increasing my intake from plant proteins to overcome lower degistiblity that will be sufficients to build muscles ?

really ?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by meganaruto View Post
    that mean if i have sufficient amino acids and increasing my intake from plant proteins to overcome lower degistiblity that will be sufficients to build muscles ?

really ?
    If you can eat enough plant proteins to extract and assimilate sufficient amino's needed for growth, then yes.

It wouldn't be my approach, way more effort than I'd ever want to put into eating, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Remember that we evolved from being primarily herbivores to 'quasi' carnivores. Granted, our ancestors probably weren't concerned with packing on slabs of muscle tissue, but by the same token, it's highly unlikely, when considering their lifestyle, that they were scrawny and muscleless, which would have been the case if they weren't getting sufficient protein for maintaining muscle mass at the very least.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 05-17-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    If you can eat enough plant proteins to extract and assimilate sufficient amino's needed for growth, then yes.

It wouldn't be my approach, way more effort than I'd ever want to put into eating, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Remember that we evolved from being primarily herbivores to 'quasi' carnivores. Granted, our ancestors probably weren't concerned with packing on slabs of muscle tissue, but by the same token, it's highly unlikely, when considering their lifestyle, that they were scrawny and muscleless, which would have been the case if they weren't getting sufficient protein for maintaining muscle mass at the very least.
    thanks .....i think there is no reason to say plant protein cant build muscles if they are sufficient and have sufficient amino acids

chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I take a mix of 50/50 egg protein and pea protein. Take a look at my avy and tell me if plant protein builds muscle or not. Nuff said

JJ78 is offline Senior Member
    Yes. You can. My protein supps are vegan and organic. I do eat Chicken, fish, steak and eggs, but not very much.

I am 230lbs around 14-15% BF 6'2'' and pretty strong. I was vegan for about a year, I did not loose any muscle mass.

I think vegetable based protein powders are much better than Whey products, unless you can find some organic Whey. I havent seen any yet. I do not eat any dairy, except cheese rarely.
    meganaruto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ78 View Post
    Yes. You can. My protein supps are vegan and organic. I do eat Chicken, fish, steak and eggs, but not very much.

I am 230lbs around 14-15% BF 6'2'' and pretty strong. I was vegan for about a year, I did not loose any muscle mass.

I think vegetable based protein powders are much better than Whey products, unless you can find some organic Whey. I havent seen any yet. I do not eat any dairy, except cheese rarely.
    greeeat

Thread Information