Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100

Stuck in the 90's... the upper 190's that is.

What causes us (some of us anyway) to stop losing weight for periods of time even though diet and exercise are spot on? I'm 199.4 today (again). I'm taking in 2300-2400 calories a day (I measure and record everything). I do cardio 5-6 days a week for 60-90 minutes day and lift hard 3 times a week. Just doesn't seem possible to be stuck between 297-201 since April 19th. What do I need to do to get the weight to start dropping again? Frustrated to say the least.

Gaspaco is offline "The Italian Stallion"
    What is your calorie deficit?

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    What causes us (some of us anyway) to stop losing weight for periods of time even though diet and exercise are spot on? I'm 199.4 today (again). I'm taking in 2300-2400 calories a day (I measure and record everything). I do cardio 5-6 days a week for 60-90 minutes day and lift hard 3 times a week. Just doesn't seem possible to be stuck between 297-201 since April 19th. What do I need to do to get the weight to start dropping again? Frustrated to say the least.
    You have only been dieting a month. How much have you lost? Whats your defecit? What is your diet? Macros? Whats your TDEE?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    also what r ur stats?? age weight height bf%

its called a plateau.. get used to it buddy

cutting can be tricky..

Weight: 199.4
    Height: 5'10"

RMR: 1845
    TDEE: 2855
    Daily Calorie Goal: 2355 with a 40/40/20 macro
    Deficit: 500

Last July I was 34.5% bf and 215# as measured by bod pod. In Oct I had it down to 30.0% bf @ 205#'s. Over the holidays I went up to ~220#'s. Started watching what I ate after the new year but did not log it (mistake). I started to log my diet on 31 Mar 2013 and at that time I weighed 206#'s. I was not exercising at all, no lifting and no cardio. Since then
    I have only lost ~6 pounds ( despite a pretty good cardio program and lifting ~75 minutes three time a week. On 26 April the bod pod had me at 27.6% bf. I will do another bod pod at the end of this month. I'm guessing I am sitting somewhere between 24-26%. But maybe I'll have a pleasant surprise and be 22-23%!!!

Don't get me wrong - I definately am seeing improvements both in the gym (increased weight/reps and increased muscle measurements/looser fitting pants) and the mirror (looking much better than 3 months ago). Just seems like the bf should be going down about twice as fast but maybe I am expecting too much? I made bigger improvements (bf-wise) the first 3 months when all I was doing was cutting back on my calories with NO exercise. It a nice thought that perhaps I am increasing lean mass at about the same rate I'm burning off the fat but that doesn't seem reasonable does it?
    Last edited by Brazensol; 05-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    Weight: 199.4
    Height: 5'10"

RMR: 1845
    TDEE: 2855
    Daily Calorie Goal: 2355
    Deficit: 500
    Okay, that sounds good. Its only been a month my friend. What weight have you lost in that time? With your diet, what macro split are you using?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    What is your bodyfat%....

If you have stopped loosing weight the explanation is simple.... It is because you are consuming an equal number of calories to what you are burning per day (TDEE).....

So you need to increase the calories going out or reduce the calories going in..... However if you started a cut on low cals and carbs you will now have little room for manipulation.....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Okay, that sounds good. Its only been a month my friend. What weight have you lost in that time? With your diet, what macro split are you using?
    The time frame in question has actually been almost 7 weeks! It's been about 6 pounds so not bad I guess afterall. Just seems slow based on how much I lost before adding exercise compared to now. But I have been stuck at 199+/- 2 pounds since 21 Apr.

Macro is 40/40/20.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Did you start cutting with cardio 5-6 times a week?
    I find its better to start off with less cardio, and increase the days a week and time as needed, if you go all out at the start you can't really progress to anything. Who wants to do 90 minutes of cardio anyways :|

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    You are suggesting you are close to 25% body fat? If that is the case then your TDEE is closer to 2300, the amount you think you are eating as a deficit.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    You are suggesting you are close to 25% body fat? If that is the case then your TDEE is closer to 2300, the amount you think you are eating as a deficit.
    How did you come up with that? I'll recalculate again but I've done it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Did you start cutting with cardio 5-6 times a week?
    I find its better to start off with less cardio, and increase the days a week and time as needed, if you go all out at the start you can't really progress to anything. Who wants to do 90 minutes of cardio anyways :|
    No. I started cutting calories right after the new year. I didn't start cardio until 4 April when I bought my bike. When I first started 3 miles was a bit of a struggle. Today I rode 15 miles in 56 minutes. Luckily I love riding! Easy on the joints too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol

How did you come up with that? I'll recalculate again but I've done it several times.
    LBM x 15 is a really simple and more realistic calculation than all the other calculators that are notorious for over estimating.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    LBM x 15 is a really simple and more realistic calculation than all the other calculators that are notorious for over estimating.
    Thanks! I worry if I go that low I'll start in on the lean tissue but I'll give it a try starting next Monday and see what happens. So that's 2250 - 500 = 1750/day? On cardio and lifting days I estimate I burn ~1000 - 1200 calories. It should be interesting.

Hell, I'll start tomorrow! I may have to cut back on my biking for awhile though...

I'd probably start at 2000 and see what happens. You are doing lots of cardio and lifting so 1750 might be too low. You'll need to find your sweet spot and not cut too many cals.

Did you read 405's log at all? I think his starting stats were comparable to yours.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I'll have to read it. I agree with you though, 2000 seems more realistic. One nice thing is I can tell by looking in the mirror (with measurements to back it up) that I am putting on some lean mass. I might be pleasantly surprised at my next bod pod reading.

Looks like all I got to do is whine a little bit to you guys to get things moving... 196.6!! New low! Still going to cut the calories a bit. Going with 2200 for two weeks and we'll see what we see.
    Last edited by Brazensol; 05-22-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Thread Information