Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By oatmeal69
  • 1 Post By krugerr
  • 1 Post By oatmeal69
  • 1 Post By krugerr

Thread: Egg Beaters?

Egg Beaters?

How do you guys feel about Egg Beaters??

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    I use them occasionally. They're fine and taste ok. Same amount of protein (per "egg")

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalGorilla
    How do you guys feel about Egg Beaters??
    R these liquid whole eggs?

I use about 16oz of egg whites a day in my shakes.

-Chomp Chomp Chomp-Clink Clink Clink-

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I think they suck personally. Just go with 100% liquid egg whites found right next to Egg Beaters...

oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I think they suck personally. Just go with 100% liquid egg whites found right next to Egg Beaters...
    Agreed. I really like them though. Not only for convenience, but because it's zero fat and they have been pasteurized / cooked which greatly aids in protein synthesis. (Our bodies don't use raw egg very well) Costco sells an Egg-Beater knockoff for less than $10 per 6 cartons.
    I still use egg whites out of a shell if whatever I'm making gets cooked, but for shakes, egg-beaters are great.

Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    Agreed. I really like them though. Not only for convenience, but because it's zero fat and they have been pasteurized / cooked which greatly aids in protein synthesis. (Our bodies don't use raw egg very well) Costco sells an Egg-Beater knockoff for less than $10 per 6 cartons.
    I still use egg whites out of a shell if whatever I'm making gets cooked, but for shakes, egg-beaters are great.
    Nah man, I wasn't referring to egg whites out of the shell - who has time for that!?! I was referring to the cartoned, 100% liquid egg whites which can be found right next to products like Egg Beaters. If I recall, Egg Beaters aren't 100% pure egg whites but have some other crap in them (I could be thinking of a different product though)... I don't see the point when you can get 100% liquid egg whites just as easily... also pasteurized, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Egg Beaters?-eggs.jpg   Egg Beaters?-egg.jpg  

I use the Costco ones primarily because of cost. IF I were to pay what they want for egg whites, I may as well spend the time cracking, separating, and cooking them myself.
    gbrice75 likes this.

I use the Costco ones primarily because of cost. IF I were to pay what they want for egg whites, I may as well spend the time cracking, separating, and cooking them myself.
    Haven't noticed them at Costco... Kirkland brand? I'll have to look into it tomorrow when I do my weekly Costco run... I'm paying $4 and change per quart - and I buy about 7-8 a week. It's a killer!

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Haven't noticed them at Costco... Kirkland brand? I'll have to look into it tomorrow when I do my weekly Costco run... I'm paying $4 and change per quart - and I buy about 7-8 a week. It's a killer!
    A quart? Is that approximately a litre? I haven't checked UK prices for a while as liquid egg whites make me gag. That does seem cheaper than the UK though.
    Are the egg whites in the cartons less slimy? I was using cracked eggs into my shake and it's revolting.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    A quart? Is that approximately a litre? I haven't checked UK prices for a while as liquid egg whites make me gag. That does seem cheaper than the UK though.
    Are the egg whites in the cartons less slimy? I was using cracked eggs into my shake and it's revolting.
    A quart is 32oz if that means anything to you, lol!

Actually, they're not slimy at all. Nearly water-like consistency, and no smell, taste, etc. Perfect for me. Although this last batch I bought did have some coagulation going on... as if it had been heated (pasteurization process) just a BIT too long... something along the lines of egg drop soup, lmao! Nasty, but I dealt with it.

Well, 96oz. of the Kirkland "Real Egg" product costs $9 and change. So, it's about 9 cents for the Costco brand vs. about 13 cents for whatever you're getting at $4 per quart. That's significant, if you can abide the difference in product. I just read the label, it's 95% egg white, plus salt, and color.

Oh, and F**K Disney, Costco is the HAPPIEST place on earth!!
    gbrice75 likes this.

Well, 96oz. of the Kirkland "Real Egg" product costs $9 and change. So, it's about 9 cents for the Costco brand vs. about 13 cents for whatever you're getting at $4 per quart. That's significant, if you can abide the difference in product. I just read the label, it's 95% egg white, plus salt, and color.
    Meh... it's probably no big deal but I can't swallow the '95% egg white' ... like, why not just the whole damned thing? We'll see though... I like saving money too lol.

Oh, and F**K Disney, Costco is the HAPPIEST place on earth!!

Egg Beaters has the knock off eggs then they also have the liquid egg whites - thats what I meant .,...

Bumping an old thread. I need the British members to comment here... Wheres the cheapest source of egg whites for us? Bulk powders does 6 litres for £23.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    If its all about cost then just buy caged eggs from your local farm or supermarket. They end up cheaper than bottled whites. But then, if you wanna drink them they are less bio available and you'd need double the amount to get the actual amount of protein.

Me, I have some ethics, I buy free range eggs but I only eat 3 per day so I don't take cost into account.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Me, I have some ethics, I buy free range eggs but I only eat 3 per day so I don't take cost into account.
    Was that a dig? lol

If its all about cost then just buy caged eggs from your local farm or supermarket. They end up cheaper than bottled whites. But then, if you wanna drink them they are less bio available and you'd need double the amount to get the actual amount of protein.
    The main issue was exactly that, the bio-availability of cracked eggs is half that of pasterized egg-whites. So I would need double. I was just enquiring, I want to make some adjustments. Cracking and seperating them is effort, so I would prefer liquid, it just seems a rather expensive way to do it. Maybe I'll find another alternative! Thanks BiB

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    No dig mate, just saying

The texture of raw eggs is different to those of pasteurised and is something that I wouldn't want to compromise on so I'd pay the price. But they aren't essential you could just use a different protein source. If I'm drinking protein I mix whey with cottage cheese.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black
    No dig mate, just saying

The texture of raw eggs is different to those of pasteurised and is something that I wouldn't want to compromise on so I'd pay the price. But they aren't essential you could just use a different protein source. If I'm drinking protein I mix whey with cottage cheese.
    I was winding you up mate! I know what you mean. I try and buy free range whenever possible.
    6 litres is a lot of eggs. I was just curious about other sources. Cottage cheese is something I've not used for a while. It's a good shout.

I have my full body analysis tomorrow. He was saying today that I'm insulin and carb intolerant, this is clear by the way I store my fat. Sounds like some PT bro science. But he's giving me a free hour session, so ill listen to it all.
    I have been carb heavy last few weeks, and weight loss has slowed. I feel fuller though.

With GB's carb cycling sticky up, I may go for that when this comp is over!
    gbrice75 likes this.

... if you wanna drink them they are less bio available and you'd need double the amount to get the actual amount of protein.
    real eggs are definitely the least expensive, but a pain to work with. I'd buy a case of 12 dozen at Costco for like $5 or something really cheap like that. Then I'd crack and separate them, and cook the whole batch in a big pot to a certain temp (I forget what it is), stirring constantly to prevent them from congealing too much. Basically I was pasteurizing them, and breaking down whatever it is that makes them not so great for absorption. It works, and gets you the highest bio-availability, but DAMN it's a lot of work. Pretty soon, I said f**k it, bit the bullet and now just buy pasteurized egg-whites or egg-beaters.
    Last edited by oatmeal69; 05-22-2013 at 08:46 AM.

probuild42 is offline Member
    Just bought 2 qts today of egg whites!! cheers!!

gymfu is offline Knowledgeable Member
    My Costco (Texas) now has both a kirklands brand egg beater and 100% egg whites!

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    I have my full body analysis tomorrow. He was saying today that I'm insulin and carb intolerant, this is clear by the way I store my fat.
    I'd be interested to hear more about this as you go along if you feel like sharing. As you probably know, I believe I'm also insulin /carb intolerant (my self-diagnosis). PM me if you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by gymfu View Post
    My Costco (Texas) now has both a kirklands brand egg beater and 100% egg whites!
    Good to know. I'll keep my eyes open at my Costco... they do tend to suddenly just start carrying new products out of the blue!

Dadstrength is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gymfu
    You talking about this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-177766799.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	619.9 KB 
ID:	139286

chi
    chi is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    agreed they don't taste as good for drinking em raw I like the 100% liquid egg whites as well

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

I'd be interested to hear more about this as you go along if you feel like sharing. As you probably know, I believe I'm also insulin/carb intolerant (my self-diagnosis). PM me if you prefer.
    PM'd you buddy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadstrength View Post
    You talking about this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-177766799.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	619.9 KB 
ID:	139286
    Yep. about $9 per case of 6 cartons.

Live for the PUMP is offline Senior Member
    That's it. I am getting a Costco Card!

Yeah, Costco makes the diet thing SOOOOO much easier and less expensive. Bulk chicken breasts, ground turkey, oatmeal, cottage cheese... almost everything I eat comes from there.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Costco in my area of SoCal carries egg whites now. I bought 36 cartons last week. Cashier looked at me like I was loonie!!!

Yeah, Costco makes the diet thing SOOOOO much easier and less expensive. Bulk chicken breasts, ground turkey, oatmeal, cottage cheese... almost everything I eat comes from there.
    I have put it off for too long. Think it was the 50$ yearly membership. I am sure that will pay for itself in a few months.

I don't think it's $50, it's more like $35. Pays for itself in a visit or two.

I don't think it's $50, it's more like $35. Pays for itself in a visit or two.
    even better

Thread Information