Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tdoe11
  • 1 Post By bigpapabuff

Thread: Protein

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries

Protein

53, years old and doing first real cycle, test e, did oral t Bol 10 years ago for 6 weeks, recently joined forum and had some great advice.
    I am getting my body fat in order and loosing a few lbs before going ahead, need to clean up diet as well.
    My question is how much protein, what source of protein, how often and best time to take, have spent thousands on shakes over the years, and training clean it only made me fat, going for the 1gram per lb body weight. I understand protein will get utilised better with AS. I hope to start a cycle at 170 lbs and about 15% fat. I Know protein only works when your diet is good, I am looking to gain lean muscle, any advice would be appreciated, DIckster.

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion/experience protein powders are very very over rated. I do one post work out with some oatmeal P butter and berries in it. Other than that I eat real food for my protein. There is always egg whites, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, canned tuna, even milk if your bulking for a quick protein burst. I aim for 300 grams a day, I am 220lbs. I would say if you have a moderate protein diet, I gram per pound should suffice on cycle. If you are used to eating a large amount regularly 1.5 per lean pound will work. I focus of course on protein, but IMO I shoot for the daily calories more so.

Blog Entries
    Thanks appreciate it, Dickster.

swithuk is offline Associate Member
    i agree . i dont want to get shouted at but i saw a good documentary the other day and it said that supplements industry is unregulated and they put all sorts into it (not harmful , just fillers ) . also i seem to remember some u.k consumer protection body that tested protein powders etc and said they werent what they said they were by a long way

doc - Bigger Stronger Faster* (2008) - IMDb

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by swithuk View Post
    that tested protein powders etc and said they werent what they said they were by a long way
    Tis' why I've almost completely given up protein powders and replaced with cartoned 100% liquid egg whites.

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    My kids doctor sent 4 multis into consumer labs to get tested. It was Arbonne, gnc, Kirkland and one other (can't remember who). Arbonne was 95%, Kirkland was low 90's% and GNC and the other were around 50%. That's 50% of what is stated on the bottle was actually in it! Like you said no one regulates it. They can put what ever they want and promise the sun moon and stars.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Dickster.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, yes I tried the liquid whites, did not taste to bad, but no-one would get near me, them things give you serious gas man, thanks will stick to good foor.

qbizm is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75

Tis' why I've almost completely given up protein powders and replaced with cartoned 100% liquid egg whites.
    What about powdered egg whites? Would that be better than investing in a tub of protein?

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    Just try to get as much of your protein from food as you can and fill in with shakes when you need too.
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dickster View Post
    Thanks, yes I tried the liquid whites, did not taste to bad, but no-one would get near me, them things give you serious gas man, thanks will stick to good foor.
    It's funny... a lot of people have this problem, but they don't affect me that way at all. Not sure if that's good or bad.... the latter could be an indicator that I'm not fully/properly absorbing/digesting/assimilating the protein. Hmm...

Carbs, on the other hand... I could just destroy people after eating 200g.

Quote Originally Posted by qbizm View Post
    What about powdered egg whites? Would that be better than investing in a tub of protein?
    Define 'better than'. They're still processed to some degree, but then again, so are cartoned egg whites (pasteurized). At least you'd know what you're getting, vs. protein powders and 'proprietary blends'.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapabuff View Post
    Just try to get as much of your protein from food as you can and fill in with shakes when you need too.
    ^^ this

qbizm is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75
    Define 'better than'. They're still processed to some degree, but then again, so are cartoned egg whites (pasteurized). At least you'd know what you're getting, vs. protein powders and 'proprietary blends'.
    I use a blend from bbwh (apologies if not allowed to name) which has a protein blend and creatine+taurine. I'd rather have as pure a protein source as possible which is obviously food, but if I can have a shake in the morning with the cleanest source of protein minus the excess additives then I'd take it. So I guess I'm asking if I use egg white powder to make a shake instead, is this better than the blend I currently use?

Quote Originally Posted by qbizm View Post
    I use a blend from bbwh (apologies if not allowed to name) which has a protein blend and creatine+taurine. I'd rather have as pure a protein source as possible which is obviously food, but if I can have a shake in the morning with the cleanest source of protein minus the excess additives then I'd take it. So I guess I'm asking if I use egg white powder to make a shake instead, is this better than the blend I currently use?
    ^^ based on the bold - yes, definitely, IMO.

Thread Information