Results 1 to 26 of 26
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By --->>405<<---

Thread: Macros and off days.

  1. #1
    dylan111557's Avatar
    dylan111557 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    202

    Macros and off days.

    Hey everyone, I am 19 year old male.
    5'10, 185-190lbs.
    My TDEE with ''Moderately active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise or sports three to five times per week)''
    Ends up being 3065 calories. I think this is WAY too high, and was planning to put my calories somewhere around 2000.

    237g protein - 150g carb - 50g fats

    What do you guys think?
    I was also planning on not eating carbs (except veggies) on offdays, which would probably be 0-2 a week, depending.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Seems like excessive amount of protein. Whats your BF% ?
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  3. #3
    dylan111557's Avatar
    dylan111557 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    202
    Last time I posted in here they recommended I do 1.5 x bodyweight, I honestly wouldn't mind lowering it. I'm a picky eater and getting that much protein is very hard for me.

    Bf% I think is around 15%, that's what my caliper average out to around.

  4. #4
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    Seems like excessive amount of protein. Whats your BF% ?
    Hey austinite, what is your typical macro breakdown? If you don't measure everything, just ballpark it.

  5. #5
    Back In Black's Avatar
    Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    17,186
    If you are cutting and planning on dropping carbs on off days then you should look at a complete carb cycle plan. There's a sticky you should read.

    FYI, I think your protein amount is good, especially if you are cutting.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

  6. #6
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan111557 View Post
    Last time I posted in here they recommended I do 1.5 x bodyweight, I honestly wouldn't mind lowering it. I'm a picky eater and getting that much protein is very hard for me.

    Bf% I think is around 15%, that's what my caliper average out to around.
    1.5 X LBM maybe. With your stats 1.2 X LBM is fine.

    don't multiply by body weight.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  7. #7
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    Hey austinite, what is your typical macro breakdown? If you don't measure everything, just ballpark it.
    Varies a couple times a year. I'll pm you later so we keep this OP-relevant.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  8. #8
    dylan111557's Avatar
    dylan111557 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    202
    Alright, so 157 x 1.2 = 188g protein?
    Also, assuming that this is my protein, would I raise my carbs or fats?
    And, is 2000 calories too low?

    Thanks

  9. #9
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    Varies a couple times a year. I'll pm you later so we keep this OP-relevant.
    Oh, damn. I thought my question was relevant. I am sorry dylan111557. I already messed up one thread with my questions, so I am trying to keep my questions relevant (What was your academic road like austinite? Just kidding, ). Sorry. I really appreciate the private message though. Thanks.

  10. #10
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan111557 View Post
    Alright, so 157 x 1.2 = 188g protein?
    Also, assuming that this is my protein, would I raise my carbs or fats?
    And, is 2000 calories too low?

    Thanks
    Honestly, I think you can just round up to 200 grams of protein. I don't know what your body type is like, so 2000 Calories may be fine. Personally, I have a very fast metabolism; so I know I need more than 3000 Calories per day (I know from experience). I usually try a split of 40%:35%:25% carbohydrate to protein to fat ratio. I know some members here don't like ratio splits, but it works fairly well for me. Some people are very carbohydrate sensitive though, so they may need to adjust that ratio.

  11. #11
    --->>405<<---'s Avatar
    --->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,819
    u guys and ur low proteins.. dont know how u do it! i am also noticing a trend toward this here in the very recent past.. i eat 300-400g every day.. has gotten me to 9%bf . personally i get/stay leaner getting cals from protein vs carbs, maybe some of u are different. a 200lb guy eating 300g protein is fine IMO.. is it more than the body "needs"? who is to say? studies? seems like most studies eventually get replaced with more studies after a certain amount of time. i guess what is most important is what works.. for me its 300-400g protein
    Java Man likes this.

  12. #12
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    u guys and ur low proteins.. dont know how u do it! i am also noticing a trend toward this here in the very recent past.. i eat 300-400g every day.. has gotten me to 9%bf . personally i get/stay leaner getting cals from protein vs carbs, maybe some of u are different. a 200lb guy eating 300g protein is fine IMO.. is it more than the body "needs"? who is to say? studies? seems like most studies eventually get replaced with more studies after a certain amount of time. i guess what is most important is what works.. for me its 300-400g protein
    I try and eat 300 grams of protein (usually around 270 grams) per day, so I agree with you. You are so right about studies too. I will say that I do believe diets very high in protein are not ideal for one's health; but I do this for vanity reasons, lol. I am not saying you will die from so much protein, but I do believe a diet higher in vegetables and good carbs and fats and lower in red meats and protein is ideal for the human body.

  13. #13
    dylan111557's Avatar
    dylan111557 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    202
    Alright, well I'll probably do 200g protein - 140g carb - 50g fat. I'll do 2k calories and see how that goes, I usually lose a quick 5-10lbs but than it slows dramatically and I get sort of stumped.

  14. #14
    --->>405<<---'s Avatar
    --->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    I try and eat 300 grams of protein (usually around 270 grams) per day, so I agree with you. You are so right about studies too. I will say that I do believe diets very high in protein are not ideal for one's health; but I do this for vanity reasons, lol. I am not saying you will die from so much protein, but I do believe a diet higher in vegetables and good carbs and fats and lower in red meats and protein is ideal for the human body.
    yeh BBall i am not saying 300-400g protein isnt hard on the body and is the healthiest, i am not saying that at all.. like u i dont think itll kill me, it may be harder and could lead to strrain on the liver/kiidneys but im vain #1 and health conscious #2.. a close second but when it comes to what i consider small risks (high protein diets) im willing to take them for the sake of leanness.. i do enjoy eating 2-4 pounds of meat everyday as well. some guys i dont understand their appetites!

  15. #15
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    yeh BBall i am not saying 300-400g protein isnt hard on the body and is the healthiest, i am not saying that at all.. like u i dont think itll kill me, it may be harder and could lead to strrain on the liver/kiidneys but im vain #1 and health conscious #2.. a close second but when it comes to what i consider small risks (high protein diets) im willing to take them for the sake of leanness.. i do enjoy eating 2-4 pounds of meat everyday as well. some guys i dont understand their appetites!
    Lmao. I have a feeling we are not the only ones in this forum with the same "priorities," lol.

  16. #16
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan111557 View Post
    Alright, well I'll probably do 200g protein - 140g carb - 50g fat. I'll do 2k calories and see how that goes, I usually lose a quick 5-10lbs but than it slows dramatically and I get sort of stumped.
    Well you are at (200 + 140)(4) + (50)(9) = 1810 Calories there, so I would definitely increase your macros. I don't know if 200 grams of carbohydrates is more than you want, but that would put you at 2050 Calories.

  17. #17
    dylan111557's Avatar
    dylan111557 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    Well you are at (200 + 140)(4) + (50)(9) = 1810 Calories there, so I would definitely increase your macros. I don't know if 200 grams of carbohydrates is more than you want, but that would put you at 2050 Calories.
    Hell no! Carbs are yummy But, I remember someone explaining that carbs should be low. Not sure as to why?

  18. #18
    dylan111557's Avatar
    dylan111557 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    202
    Also, can I take in some sugars? (Milk, ketchup, bbq sauce) In moderation? >50g carbs. If not I'm fine with sacrificing all of those. I think the only time I'm ''allowed'' is as a post-workout correct? To spike insulin .

  19. #19
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan111557 View Post
    Hell no! Carbs are yummy But, I remember someone explaining that carbs should be low. Not sure as to why?
    Carbohydrates are the primary culprit in fat storage. Carbohydrates are known as saccharides (sugars), so they increase the amount of glucose in your bloodstream. Insulin is then excreted from the pancreas to remove any excess glucose by converting glucose into glycogen (glycogenesis). Glycogen is stored in both the liver and muscles; however once there is too much glycogen, it is then stored as body fat.

    This is why I asked if 200 grams of carbohydrates is more than you want. Some people are more carbohydrate sensitive (e.g. 405 and Tron3219), and they need to be more vigilant about the amount of carbohydrates they consume. I, on the other hand, have a very fast metabolism and am not carbohydrate sensitive; therefore it is fine for me to consume more carbs than some other people. In fact I need to have a decent amount of carbohydrates (comparatively speaking) in order for me to gain weight and lean muscle mass. You know your body type better than anyone else, so you can make a better decision on the ideal amount of carbohydrates. Like 405 mentioned above, do what works best for you. This will involve some trial and error. The best way to figure out how your body responds to certain amounts of macros is to be very strict with your diet and slowly adjust the quantities.

  20. #20
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan111557 View Post
    Also, can I take in some sugars? (Milk, ketchup, bbq sauce) In moderation? >50g carbs. If not I'm fine with sacrificing all of those. I think the only time I'm ''allowed'' is as a post-workout correct? To spike insulin.
    I assume you mean "<50g carbs," as that means "less than 50 grams of carbs." The whole spiking insulin after your workout has been pretty much disproven. If you want to eat some fruit after your workout, then that is fine. Again, I can get away with eating more fruit than some people. I am not as strict with my diet as some people here. Don't get me wrong I weigh most things I eat, and I limit the amount of simple sugars I consume; but I also will have a little bit of bbq sauce on my ribs. Like I already mentioned though, I have a very fast metabolism; and I can get away with having a few extra carbs. My diet tends to be rather monotonous with the exception of what I eat for dinner. Most of the day I only eat very clean foods and only a moderate amount of carbohydrates.

    I tend to get around 3200 - 3500 Calories with a carb to protein to fat ratio of 40%:35%:25%. This fluctuates a little bit (e.g. 35%:35%:30%), but this is about what I get on average.
    Last edited by basketballfan22; 05-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.

  21. #21
    hingey242 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    72
    How do you distinguish how much something has in it? For example 150 grams of chicken breast, how do you know how much protein is in that?

  22. #22
    basketballfan22's Avatar
    basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Colorado.
    Posts
    1,256
    I answered your question in the thread you started. I use MyFitnessPal on my iPhone though.

  23. #23
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    yeh BBall i am not saying 300-400g protein isnt hard on the body and is the healthiest, i am not saying that at all.. like u i dont think itll kill me, it may be harder and could lead to strrain on the liver/kiidneys but im vain #1 and health conscious #2.. a close second but when it comes to what i consider small risks (high protein diets) im willing to take them for the sake of leanness.. i do enjoy eating 2-4 pounds of meat everyday as well. some guys i dont understand their appetites!
    I don't think that's the point of taking in lower protein than Ronnie Coleman. The point is you could reach 9% without that much protein. If it works it works, who cares what it takes if you're staying healthy.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

  24. #24
    hingey242 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22
    I answered your question in the thread you started. I use MyFitnessPal on my iPhone though.
    Yeah thanks mate, just starting to get my head around it now! Thanks again!

  25. #25
    --->>405<<---'s Avatar
    --->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by austinite View Post
    I don't think that's the point of taking in lower protein than Ronnie Coleman. The point is you could reach 9% without that much protein. If it works it works, who cares what it takes if you're staying healthy.
    I guess my point is if i ate less protein then id either eat more carbs or be more hungry! IMO either one could very well result in my NOT getting down to 9%.. Im a hungry guy man

    I am considering playing around with the fat macro while cutting to see if itd be a better source to utilize instead of carbs. I just have not done it yet!

  26. #26
    austinite's Avatar
    austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cialis, Texas
    Posts
    31,154
    ^ lol. I see, well in that case eat more protein!! I'd rather have that over carbs, too.
    ~ PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR SOURCE CHECKS ~

    "It's human nature in a 'more is better' society full of a younger generation that expects instant gratification, then complain when they don't get it. The problem will get far worse before it gets better". ~ kelkel

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •