Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kelkel
  • 1 Post By baseline_9

Thread: Is "Bulk/Cut becoming an outdated strategy? I may never "cut" again.

  1. #1
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271

    Is "Bulk/Cut becoming an outdated strategy? I may never "cut" again.

    I'm an ecto/hardgainer/ thin/ whatever kind of dude.
    I just hate running on the hamster wheel of working so hard to gain a pound or two of muscle, then losing it and more with a cutting diet along with cardio.
    Has anyone toyed with the idea of eating at or just over TDEE to maintain muscle and then bite the bullet and do enough cardio to burn off that fat - rather than calorie deficit via food intake only?
    I'm thinking a lot about it, because the cycle I'm about to conclude has been a success as far as adding muscle, AND leaning. I.E. a re-comp.

    I did it by eating just over TDEE, and keeping my diet strict and within Macros.

    I'd like to lean up a couple more percents, but NOT lose the muscle I just worked my ass off for.

  2. #2
    kronik420's Avatar
    kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,257
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal69 View Post
    I'm an ecto/hardgainer/ thin/ whatever kind of dude.
    I just hate running on the hamster wheel of working so hard to gain a pound or two of muscle, then losing it and more with a cutting diet along with cardio.
    Has anyone toyed with the idea of eating at or just over TDEE to maintain muscle and then bite the bullet and do enough cardio to burn off that fat - rather than calorie deficit via food intake only?
    I'm thinking a lot about it, because the cycle I'm about to conclude has been a success as far as adding muscle, AND leaning. I.E. a re-comp.

    I did it by eating just over TDEE, and keeping my diet strict and within Macros.

    I'd like to lean up a couple more percents, but NOT lose the muscle I just worked my ass off for.
    eat at around maintenance and use cardio and carb cycling to loose bf%

  3. #3
    kelkel's Avatar
    kelkel is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~ No Source Checks
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Coast Dungeon
    Posts
    28,932
    I've never believed in "bulking" per se. Who wants to build a fat cell. Once you do it's there for life, it just gets smaller.
    gbrice75 likes this.
    -*- NO SOURCE CHECKS -*-

  4. #4
    JohnnyVegas's Avatar
    JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The Desert
    Posts
    5,963
    I know a lot of guys start lean and cycle while only eating a few hundred extra calories a day rather than thousand of calories which would just make them fat.

  5. #5
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    eat at around maintenance and use cardio and carb cycling to loose bf%
    That's what I've been doing with this cycle, I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I'll just keep doing it through PCT. I expect to lose a little, but I'll train hard and try to keep it minimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    I've never believed in "bulking" per se. Who wants to build a fat cell. Once you do it's there for life, it just gets smaller.
    Really? For life?? hmmm... Liposuction??
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I know a lot of guys start lean and cycle while only eating a few hundred extra calories a day rather than thousand of calories which would just make them fat.
    I'm really glad I went this route. I dropped 20 # prior to my cycle starting. Maybe if I can slowly get a bit leaner during PCT, I can focus my next cycle more on lean mass.

  6. #6
    baseline_9's Avatar
    baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK Get in the diet forum!
    Posts
    7,901
    Just approach cutting in a different way..... Don't suffer..... And you will enjoy it...

    Adopt a flexible dieting approach and try to eat as much as possible while loosing small amounts of weight week on week (1lb)...

    Keep fats fairly low and carbs as high as possible with protein moderate..... Hit your macros..... And track your cardio via calorie expenditure.... But don't overdo the cardio....


    Try this approach and see how you get on..... I'm currently doing it and its great.... I know it's going to be a long and slow process but I know I can stick to this as it is achievable....
    cue_artist likes this.
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

    Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

    Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros




  7. #7
    krugerr's Avatar
    krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK (Nr London)
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by kelkel View Post
    I've never believed in "bulking" per se. Who wants to build a fat cell. Once you do it's there for life, it just gets smaller.
    There are a few treatments to kill/remove fat cells, Laser Lipo, Freeze Lipo and I guess actual Liposuction. The first two are non intrusive, you just wear a peice of equipment, Im not sure how effective they are though.

    Curious, when you cut down to really low BF%, these cells empty out. If you were heavily overweight before, would they effect any vascularity?

  8. #8
    Java Man's Avatar
    Java Man is offline Known Troll
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    4,327
    I remember reading at one time or another that you have a certain amount of fat cells by a certain age and they just expand/shrink accordingly. When you remove them via liposuction or whatever method they are gone forever. You'll have an uneven appearance if you get obese afterwards.

    Not.true?

  9. #9
    MR-FQ320's Avatar
    MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gods own country
    Posts
    3,007
    That FTTP stuff finds, isolates and terminates white fat cells.

  10. #10
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    I don't think it's outdated per se, it's simply the fact that other options are starting to come to the forefront and people are seeing now that the perpetual bulk/cut cycle isn't the only way, and probably isn't the optimal way - for most.

    There are those who do well bulking and cutting. Usually, mesomorphs who can build muscle easily, tend not to add much bodyfat and/or have an easy time burning it off while maintaining gains. Genetically gifted. A lot of pro's, if not most, still follow a traditional bulk/cut cycle, so it's definitely not outdated, IMO.

  11. #11
    largerthannormal's Avatar
    largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,133
    Doing a recomp right now, Im 6 weeks in my cycle. I am down 3% bf and my scale weight is the same as day 1.

    I started at maintenance, and adjusted as I seen fit, there were certain weeks fat did not come off. then I implemented a carb cycle had a few low days and once just now adding a double carb day.

    Each day I am getting leaner and the scale has not moved more than up and down 2 lbs depending on what type of day I was on.

  12. #12
    RaginCajun's Avatar
    RaginCajun is online now Pissing Excellence!
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Deep Down South
    Posts
    23,308
    oatmeal, do yourself a favor and read Marcus's Diary in the lounge from page 1.

    you can thank me later!

  13. #13
    gbrice75's Avatar
    gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17,457
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    Doing a recomp right now, Im 6 weeks in my cycle. I am down 3% bf and my scale weight is the same as day 1.

    I started at maintenance, and adjusted as I seen fit, there were certain weeks fat did not come off. then I implemented a carb cycle had a few low days and once just now adding a double carb day.

    Each day I am getting leaner and the scale has not moved more than up and down 2 lbs depending on what type of day I was on.
    Very similar to what I'll be implementing next week. 3 days around maintenance (workout days, higher carb, but not HIGH per se), 3 low days (cardio only days, no starchy carbs), and 1 high day (about double the carbs, just like yours). From that baseline, I'll make adjustments as need, and I do expect there'll be a few.

  14. #14
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Adopt a flexible dieting approach and try to eat as much as possible while loosing small amounts of weight week on week (1lb)...
    Keep fats fairly low and carbs as high as possible with protein moderate..... Hit your macros..... And track your cardio via calorie expenditure.... But don't overdo the cardio....
    Try this approach and see how you get on..... I'm currently doing it and its great.... I know it's going to be a long and slow process but I know I can stick to this as it is achievable....
    Agreed. It's not "linear" , I.E. it seems with me if I'm doing what you mentioned that I'l drop a pound, then maybe sit there for a week or three, then up a bit, and then down 2 pounds, etc. I think for me to do this right, I have to take a long haul approach. If I see positive changes month to month I'm doing well. But if I start dieting so severely that I'm dropping a pound or more a week, a lot of that will be muscle.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I don't think it's outdated per se, it's simply the fact that other options are starting to come to the forefront and people are seeing now that the perpetual bulk/cut cycle isn't the only way, and probably isn't the optimal way - for most.
    There are those who do well bulking and cutting. Usually, mesomorphs who can build muscle easily, tend not to add much bodyfat and/or have an easy time burning it off while maintaining gains. Genetically gifted. A lot of pro's, if not most, still follow a traditional bulk/cut cycle, so it's definitely not outdated, IMO.
    You're likely right. I'm learning here that it's CRUCIAL to find what works FOR YOU. And, realize that someone else may havve a totally different way that works for them. There is no "right" way, only the one that produces results.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    oatmeal, do yourself a favor and read Marcus's Diary in the lounge from page 1.you can thank me later!
    Already did. I'll say it again, I sure with there was a way mods or the OP could edit the junk, redundancy and filler away those huge threads. IT took HOURS to read what I could have got in 15 minutes. I started HIT with this current cycle. Marcus' method totally changed how I work out for the better. I'm excited to see how HIT works for me while I'm not cycling.
    Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal View Post
    Doing a recomp right now, Im 6 weeks in my cycle. I am down 3% bf and my scale weight is the same as day 1.
    I started at maintenance, and adjusted as I seen fit, there were certain weeks fat did not come off. then I implemented a carb cycle had a few low days and once just now adding a double carb day.
    Each day I am getting leaner and the scale has not moved more than up and down 2 lbs depending on what type of day I was on.
    Yeah, again, I think it's important to not get frustrated just because the scale doesn't move for a week, or even goes up once in a while. If the mirror and pictures are telling you the story you want to hear each month then that's what to go with.

  15. #15
    oatmeal69's Avatar
    oatmeal69 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,271
    Oh, and consistency. Grind it out every day. DOn't cheat in your diet, and keep it up. Consistency over time is what really makes the big changes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •