GEEZII is offline Junior Member

Intermittent Fasting + Training

Hey guys i want to start Intermittent Fasting.
    to suit my day i would eat from 1pm-9pm (9pm being the cut off time)
    but i train in the morning at 7:30am-9am
    will it be a problem (besides being hungry) to not eat for 4 hours after training? even like a pwo shake

when would be an ideal time to workout during I/F ?

anybody?

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey there. Would you mind sharing some stats for us? Height, Weight, age, bodyfat, training experience!

I used IF to cut some weight last year, and I found it to be a fantastic tool because I was in the mid 20% bodyfat range. I believe if you're on the leaner side, there are more efficient ways to cut.

To actually answer your question, I dont see any problem with not eating for the 4 hours after your training, I trained mornings whilst using IF from 12-8pm and didnt suffer.

24 years old, 183cm, 84kg with around 16-17% bf, about 8 weeks ago I was 90kg
    I have been training on and off for years
    I have been clean eating and carb cycling for around 6 weeks
    I train 5 days a week with 20mins low intensity cardio after weights.

Quote Originally Posted by GEEZII View Post
    24 years old, 183cm, 84kg with around 16-17% bf, about 8 weeks ago I was 90kg
    I have been training on and off for years
    I have been clean eating and carb cycling for around 6 weeks
    I train 5 days a week with 20mins low intensity cardio after weights.
    Okay, good job with the 6kg weight loss. It looks like the carb cycling is working a treat, stick with that. Why are you looking to change it?

My suggestion: Stay with Carb Cycling, get your bodyfat measured every 2 weeks if possible. If/When you start to plateau you can begin to up the cardio slightly.

Keep up the good work and forget the use of IF for now!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Preferably you want some form of protein and carb in you before or after training. Protein promotes protein synthesis while carbs prevent muscle tissue breakdown combined they net a positive muscle mass increase. Protein does not affect protein breakdown and carbs don't promote protein synthesis.

Having said that, if you do eat around your training time and outside your "eating window" you will effectively break your fast. This is probably the one exception I see where bcaa's have a need for use. You could take 5-15g of BCAA's to help protein synthesis and as for carbs, it only takes 10-15g to prevent protein breakdown but again it will technically break your fast. I would try either re-arranging your eating window towards training more (4hrs after training to eat a meal isn't going to make or break you though), possibly take a small carb intake right before training, or just do it as you described. The effect could very well be negligible. Total daily energy and macro intake and consistency are much much more important the the timing so keep your diet in check for the day and worry about every else after.
    Last edited by Docd187123; 06-20-2013 at 08:12 AM.

thanks for the replies guys, i just feel like doing the IF will help me get closer to 10-12% bf so i can start bulking comfortably.

i can probably take bcaas before and after training.
    yeah my macros will remain the same, i would just eat them in 3 meals rather than 7
    as long as im not losing lbm for not eating before/after then i dont mind waiting 4 hours for a meal

Quote Originally Posted by GEEZII View Post
    thanks for the replies guys, i just feel like doing the IF will help me get closer to 10-12% bf so i can start bulking comfortably.

i can probably take bcaas before and after training.
    yeah my macros will remain the same, i would just eat them in 3 meals rather than 7
    as long as im not losing lbm for not eating before/after then i dont mind waiting 4 hours for a meal
    405 is a big fan of Carb Cycling and Fasting combined, he uses this to hit single digit bodyfat values. Like I said earlier, I think IF is a very useful tool, I just think that while you're still losing weight at a comfortable speed, you shouldnt change it. You've lost 13lbs in 8 weeks, thats a very good rate! What you're doing is working fine for now, why use all the tools? Save IF for when you hit a sticking point

My 2 cents, of course you can do as you feel. We've got a lot of success stories on here regarding IF, and those posted above by GB, give those a read as well!

Thread Information