Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By krugerr

Thread: Having second thoughts about what is a GOOD PWO SHAKE???? How's this look?

tripmachine is offline Senior Member

Having second thoughts about what is a GOOD PWO SHAKE???? How's this look?

So I have been taking this shake for quite some time now for my PWO. Right after a workout I go home and have this:

Water
    2 scoops Isopure whey isolate
    1 scoop karbolyn
    1 banana
    ICE

Now I was told by a few other people you want fats and sugars in your shake?? I was under the impression you don't want fats and sugars for your PWO shake? Can somebody please help and set me straight? I hate having this on my mind not knowing what one is right, I need to get it right....

Thank you!

krugerr is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Whats the macros on it?

I think its a matter of your goals, some like high protein low carb, some go for high carb and protein. Its just a preference depending upon your goals at the time. I dont see a problem with sugars in a PWO shake, as long as its consumed relatively close to the end of the workout.
    Heath48 likes this.

Heath48 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripmachine View Post
    So I have been taking this shake for quite some time now for my PWO. Right after a workout I go home and have this:

Water
    2 scoops Isopure whey isolate
    1 scoop karbolyn
    1 banana
    ICE

Now I was told by a few other people you want fats and sugars in your shake?? I was under the impression you don't want fats and sugars for your PWO shake? Can somebody please help and set me straight? I hate having this on my mind not knowing what one is right, I need to get it right....

Thank you!
    You are already consuming roughly 14g of sugar from your banana. Depending on size.

Quote Originally Posted by krugerr View Post
    Whats the macros on it?

I think its a matter of your goals, some like high protein low carb, some go for high carb and protein. Its just a preference depending upon your goals at the time. I dont see a problem with sugars in a PWO shake, as long as its consumed relatively close to the end of the workout.

Thanks for the reply! Well my goals are to reduce bf and build LBM (you'd think that would be most peoples goals unless bulking?)

The macros on the shake I have everyday after lifting are as follows:

Isopure protein = Calories: 210, Fat: 1g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 50g
    karbolyn = Calories: 200, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 50g, Protein: 0g (maybe I should take half scoop? 25g carbs?)
    banana = 27g carbs 1g protein .5g fat

What do you think of my shake for my goals?

Anyone for that matter please feel free to chime in thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath48 View Post
    You are already consuming roughly 14g of sugar from your banana. Depending on size.
    well what's your opinion on a PWO shake for my goals? Should I have that 14g of sugar from the banana in my PWO shake? Or take it out? Let me know if you know. thanks for the reply!

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    it really depends on what the rest of your diet looks like macro-wise. if it fits into your macros for the day, then go for it!

I just usually eat a meal PWO, then have my shake as dessert later on to crave my evil sweet tooth/teeth!

post up the rest of your diet with macros, your stats, and your goals

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    it really depends on what the rest of your diet looks like macro-wise. if it fits into your macros for the day, then go for it!

I just usually eat a meal PWO, then have my shake as dessert later on to crave my evil sweet tooth/teeth!

post up the rest of your diet with macros, your stats, and your goals
    Damn.... That's what I was hoping wasn't the case... I am not really keeping tabs on my diet as to where I can post exact macros on everyday eating since things change a bit.... I was hoping I could just do what I did before and just eat cleaner. You are making me reconsider and think to count my macros for a day or so. The thing is I don't want to eat the same exact shit everyday.... I guess I sorta already do but I just don't worry as much about all my macros from morning til night.

I was hoping no one would want my daily macros

I can tell you what I usually eat and how it 'usually' goes...

7-9 a.m.ish wake up

meal 1 - 1 scoop isopure whey 25g protein
    go straight for cardio for 45 minutes

meal 2 - right after cardio 1 scoop isopure+ 8oz. liquid egg whites in reduced sugar / fat choc milk 63g protein total + i add a little pb and coconut oil and a banana. maybe thats a bit much?

meal 3 - 1 hour after above shake 1 serving oatmeal + 7-9 eggs 1-2 whole and all the rese whites

meal 4 - chicken burrito 5-6oz. white meat chicken beans, brown rice depending on how hungry I am

PWO 2 hours after last meal 1 scoop karbolyn + 12 guage shotgun + hemavol + cre8

workout for 1 1/2 hours

PWO shake as stated above 2 scoops isopure, 1 banana, and 1 scoop karbolyn 50p 67carb

1- 1 1/2 hours later i'll eat brown rice white meat chicken extra chicken... probably 6 oz. is my guess

later i'm trying to drink the egg whites mixed with choc. milk before bed or mix it with a isolate / casein blend.. maybe a few almonds and then sleep.

that's about all i can do with telling you about my diet until i put some time in and count those macros for you. Some meals are not eaten and replaced with other meals.... like occasionally i'll eat 6oz shrimp pinto beans and white rice.. =X (its' just soooooooo good at this place i go to)

edit:: oh yeah my stats 6'2" tall 215 lbs.... 17% bf? Looking to lose as much bf as possible while retaining and building as much LBM

Currently running a cycle which is as follows:

wk 1-8 test p 700mg ew
    wk 1-8 tren a 700mg ew
    wk 1-8 mast 700mg ew (yes i know it won't do much but it's a blend of those 3 so i'm stuck)
    wk 8-16 test 500mg ew? or I might keep it at 700
    wk 8-16 Var 700mg ew

got clen and t3... giving the clen a 1-2 week break for the moment
    letro at .5mg ew
    cabor 1mg ew

Thank you!
    Last edited by tripmachine; 06-18-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Well, how can you know if your PWO shake is good if you don't count all your daily intake.

Add up everything you posted and see what you are actually eating macro wise. This will help you decide if your PWO shake is good or not.

Check out myfitnesspal app, it has everything you are looking for to keep track of your daily macros and you can customize it online to the macros of your desire. You can thank me later

Well, how can you know if your PWO shake is good if you don't count all your daily intake.

Add up everything you posted and see what you are actually eating macro wise. This will help you decide if your PWO shake is good or not.

Check out myfitnesspal app, it has everything you are looking for to keep track of your daily macros and you can customize it online to the macros of your desire. You can thank me later
    Lol thank you in advance! ;b Ok I will get that app.... a few years back i used fat secrets calorie counter.... i'll check myfinesspal out.

Hey what do you think about having 1 scoop isopure 0 carb 25g protein right when i wake up in the a.m. then going to do cardio? I was doing cardio on complete empty stomach but now someone told me to have 1 scoop of that so I won't be catobolic doing cardio... what's your opinion? I do 45 minutes 6 days a week or stairs or eliptical

Heath48 is offline New Member
    Lol thank you in advance! ;b Ok I will get that app.... a few years back i used fat secrets calorie counter.... i'll check myfinesspal out.

Hey what do you think about having 1 scoop isopure 0 carb 25g protein right when i wake up in the a.m. then going to do cardio? I was doing cardio on complete empty stomach but now someone told me to have 1 scoop of that so I won't be catobolic doing cardio... what's your opinion? I do 45 minutes 6 days a week or stairs or eliptical
    I would personally skip the shake before cardio. Take bcaa's instead. Possibly a caffine pill also. As far as my opinion on post workout shake they have basically covered everything needed above. Figure your diet out and post back.

Remember everyone is different!!!! I have 27g of sugar in my pwo shake 5 days a week as I walk out of the gym, but my diet is super clean and I have pretty decent genetics. I am around 10% bf (going to get another bod pod in a few days) so what works for me might not work for you or anyone else. It's a lot of trial and error.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    I would ditch the Karbolyn and add another form of carbohydrates that isn't so nutritionally devoid.

Quote Originally Posted by tripmachine

Some like to do fasted cardio and some don't.

It is more or less up to you. I have done fasted cardio and liked it. I eat now before cardio and like it. It all comes down to how much (macros) your eating.

What has your progress been like? Have you been eating like this, or just starting to?

Some like to do fasted cardio and some don't.

It is more or less up to you. I have done fasted cardio and liked it. I eat now before cardio and like it. It all comes down to how much (macros) your eating.

What has your progress been like? Have you been eating like this, or just starting to?
    Well I have been eating like this for a short while few days.... but I have eaten similar in the past and changed quite a bit...

25% bf to 10.5% bf... life is great when you're happy about your hard work.. :]

^ those are results I have gotten from eating cleaner like I am now... I didn't do cardio much at all back then either but of course I was cycling then too... I expect good results and I know i'll get them but I want the BEST possible results so that's why I'm getting sooo paranoid over my PWO shake and other stuff but now I know what I NEED to do to get the customized help. I will count my macros soon but today doesn't allow for that. haha

Well I have been eating like this for a short while few days.... but I have eaten similar in the past and changed quite a bit...

25% bf to 10.5% bf... life is great when you're happy about your hard work.. :]

^ those are results I have gotten from eating cleaner like I am now... I didn't do cardio much at all back then either but of course I was cycling then too... I expect good results and I know i'll get them but I want the BEST possible results so that's why I'm getting sooo paranoid over my PWO shake and other stuff but now I know what I NEED to do to get the customized help. I will count my macros soon but today doesn't allow for that. haha
    Being paranoid about your PWO shake is bordering on OCD IMO. PWO shake is not mandatory if you've eaten before training. A typical meal takes 4-6hrs to fully digest and absorb so you'll still have amino acids being absorbed after training even without a PWO shake. Plus it's total energy intake that's most important whereas timing is of less concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    Being paranoid about your PWO shake is bordering on OCD IMO. PWO shake is not mandatory if you've eaten before training. A typical meal takes 4-6hrs to fully digest and absorb so you'll still have amino acids being absorbed after training even without a PWO shake. Plus it's total energy intake that's most important whereas timing is of less concern.
    lol.... well i guess being ocd about working out and nutrition isn't such a bad thing though?? ;b Ok I will figure my macros out and post more info for more help because no one knows what to help me with if they don't know what's going in my body each day. makes sense now

lol.... well i guess being ocd about working out and nutrition isn't such a bad thing though?? ;b Ok I will figure my macros out and post more info for more help because no one knows what to help me with if they don't know what's going in my body each day. makes sense now
    There are worse things for sure but that doesn't mean it's good for you or a necessity. I'm just pointing out the fact that total daily intake is still number one priority and the timing comes after that. No need to add more stress to your life worrying about the perfection of a PWO shake that's impossible to prove perfection of. Just a different perspective to look at buddy, not trying to bash you in anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    There are worse things for sure but that doesn't mean it's good for you or a necessity. I'm just pointing out the fact that total daily intake is still number one priority and the timing comes after that. No need to add more stress to your life worrying about the perfection of a PWO shake that's impossible to prove perfection of. Just a different perspective to look at buddy, not trying to bash you in anyway
    Oh yeah for sure... i am seeing the light! lol.... I needed to post this thread and get all the feedback I have so far, it's making me 'see the light' as you say. I NEED TO FIGURE OUT MY INTAKE DAILY. I will do that tomorrow and add everything up THEN AT LEAST I will have a good idea what to eat and what to drop etc.. (cause I will NOT count my calories for more than about a week or two because I will know after a week or two what's up)

Oh yeah for sure... i am seeing the light! lol.... I needed to post this thread and get all the feedback I have so far, it's making me 'see the light' as you say. I NEED TO FIGURE OUT MY INTAKE DAILY. I will do that tomorrow and add everything up THEN AT LEAST I will have a good idea what to eat and what to drop etc.. (cause I will NOT count my calories for more than about a week or two because I will know after a week or two what's up)
    I use myfitnesspal for calorie and macro tracking. Very easy, pretty accurate, can scan barcodes and automatically enters info, and can create custom foods. I think someone mentioned it in this thread so definitely give it a shot. Track your macros for a few days to get a accurate level since some days are going to be different than others. After a while you'll get a very good feel of portion sizes and macros so you're right, you might not need it afterwards. Best of luck!!

Thread Information