Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: IF and Strong Lifts, Back to basics...

DuggyPhresh is offline Junior Member

IF and Strong Lifts, Back to basics...

So this is my first large post on this forum. Seeing what the vets think of my current workout plan and future plans. So bio first. I'm 29 @ 6'3" and 197lbs. BF% is around 21% currently as I've been eating like a tank for the last few months. I've been working out for the past 3 years. I've been doing this intermittent fasting thing for almost a year now. I plan on going back to the 6 small meals a day routine once i decide i'm ready for a cycle. So i want to give a breakdown of my diet routine and workout routine and my goals. So i'll start off with diet. My eating windows is 8 hours and i eat from 11:00am to 8:00pm (i know the math doesn't add up but the 8th hour is actually 7pm-8pm);

Lunch (1st meal): 60g-Fat, 130g-Carbs, 102g-Protein
    Organic Brown Rice (1/2cup) with olive oil (2tbsp)
    Frozen Vegetables (1cup)
    Top Sirloin (6oz)
    Whole Milk (2cup)
    MyoFusion Probiotic Whey (1scoop)

Snack (2nd meal): 16g-Fat, 46g-Carbs, 44g-Protein
    Dave's Good Seed Bread (2slices)
    No Salt Added Turkey Breasy (2oz)
    Roast Beef (2oz)
    Pepperjack Cheese (1slice)

Workout: 0g-Fat, 39g-Carbs, 7g-Protein
    Gaspari Sizeon (1scoop)

Post Workout Smoothie: 51g-Fat, 67g-Carbs, 79g-Protein
    Whole Milk (2cup)
    Optimum Gold Whey (2scoop)
    Banana (1ea)
    Adams Natural Peanut Butter (4tbsp)

Dinner (3rd meal): 47g-Fat, 84g-Carbs, 104g-Protein
    Whole Wheat Spaghetti (2oz dry)
    Broccoli (1cup)
    Chicken Breast (4oz)
    Grated Parmesan (60g)
    Chicken Broth (1/2cup)
    Olive Oil (2.3tbsp)
    Fat Free Milk (2.5cup)
    Elite Casein Whey (1scoop)

Ends up being a daily total of ~4364cal, 174g-Fat, 366g-Carbs, and 337g-Protein. Currently i am getting back to basics and following the strong lifts 5x5 routine. Going to the gym Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. My plan is to continue this routine and assess my 1 rep max for my squat, bench, dead, bent over row, and overhead press to get a baseline of where i'm at. Now I've never been the strongest of the bunch so lets not criticize my numbers too much please. These are my current numbers and i haven't established my 1rep max (mind you i just started back up on this routine and am building to my max):

Squat 160lbs @ 5x5
    Bench 130lbs @ 5x5
    Bent Over Row 140lbs @ 5x5
    Shoulder Press 85lbs @ 5x5
    Dead Lift 205lbs @ 1x5

I will update this thread with new numbers as i progress and once I obtain my 1rep max. My goal once that is complete is to get into a routine i will use for my first cycle. i'm not saying after i do this i will be jumping into a cycle, i want to build a solid routine to use for my first cycle whenever that may be. I plan to use that routine with cardio to decrease BF% below the recommended 15% prior to starting any cycle. And as i mentioned before i will be going back to a 6 small meal a day plan and will post a new thread for critiques on that diet plan as well in the future.
    So, as i'm new to this forum i appreciate any critiques the pros/vets are willing to offer and am willing to answer any questions anyone has so i can further myself for the better. so here goes!!! Post!!!

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Im no vet (fo-sure lol) but I do believe and apply IF living. wanted to wish you much success! ... and bump you up so others will see and chime in on your thread

Much appreciated, thanks for the support.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    IF is tuff if our heads are not the game that day, esp the more frequent /longer time done/ or if your on a high intake regularly than down to nadda for a day... all support is good support.
    if you dont get the feed back your seeking just adda new update to bump your thread upto increase visibility an you will catch the attention of a pro

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Quote Originally Posted by DuggyPhresh View Post
    197lbs. BF% is around 21% currently as I've been eating like a tank for the last few months. I've been working out for the past 3 years. I've been doing this intermittent fasting thing for almost a year now. I plan on going back to the 6 small meals a day routine once i decide i'm ready for a cycle. So i want to give a breakdown of my diet routine and workout routine and my goals. So i'll start off with diet. My eating windows is 8 hours and i eat from 11:00am to 8:00pm (i know the math doesn't add up but the 8th hour is actually 7pm-8pm);

Lunch (1st meal): 60g-Fat, 130g-Carbs, 102g-Protein
    Organic Brown Rice (1/2cup) with olive oil (2tbsp)
    Frozen Vegetables (1cup)
    Top Sirloin (6oz)
    Whole Milk (2cup)
    MyoFusion Probiotic Whey (1scoop)

Snack (2nd meal): 16g-Fat, 46g-Carbs, 44g-Protein
    Dave's Good Seed Bread (2slices)
    No Salt Added Turkey Breasy (2oz)
    Roast Beef (2oz)
    Pepperjack Cheese (1slice)

Workout: 0g-Fat, 39g-Carbs, 7g-Protein
    Gaspari Sizeon (1scoop)

Post Workout Smoothie: 51g-Fat, 67g-Carbs, 79g-Protein
    Whole Milk (4364cal, 174g-Fat, 366g-Carbs, and 337g-Protein. Currently i am getting back to basics and following the strong lifts 5x5 routine. Going to the gym Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. My plan is to continue this routine and assess my 1 rep max for my squat, bench, dead, bent over row, and overhead press to get a baseline of where i'm at. Now I've never been the strongest of the bunch so lets not criticize my numbers too much please. These are my current numbers and i haven't established my 1rep max (mind you i just started back up on this routine and am building to my max):

Squat 160lbs @ 5x5
    Bench 130lbs @ 5x5
    Bent Over Row 140lbs @ 5x5
    Shoulder Press 85lbs @ 5x5
    Dead Lift 205lbs @ 1x5

I will update this thread with new numbers as i progress and once I obtain my 1rep max. My goal once that is complete is to get into a routine i will use for my first cycle. i'm not saying after i do this i will be jumping into a cycle, i want to build a solid routine to use for my first cycle whenever that may be. I plan to use that routine with cardio to decrease BF% below the recommended 15% prior to starting any cycle. And as i mentioned before i will be going back to a 6 small meal a day plan and will post a new thread for critiques on that diet plan as well in the future.
    So, as i'm new to this forum i appreciate any critiques the pros/vets are willing to offer and am willing to answer any questions anyone has so i can further myself for the better. so here goes!!! Post!!!

Way too much protein..... If you trying to gain weight shoot for about 1.2g/lb of LBM which is about 185g for you....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Are u looking for a critique for the current diet? Wat is this diet supposed to accomplish? Ur diet needs work. U have way too much fat for someone eating 340gcarbs.. U definitely should be gaining fat with that macro split and caloric amount.

At 6'3" 197lbs 21% bf ur carrying approx 155lbs LBM which is not a lot for a guy that tall especially considering u have been lifting 3 years.

What were ur stats 3 years ago? IMO u have a ways to go before considering a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    Are u looking for a critique for the current diet? Wat is this diet supposed to accomplish? Ur diet needs work. U have way too much fat for someone eating 340gcarbs.. U definitely should be gaining fat with that macro split and caloric amount.

At 6'3" 197lbs 21% bf ur carrying approx 155lbs LBM which is not a lot for a guy that tall especially considering u have been lifting 3 years.

What were ur stats 3 years ago? IMO u have a ways to go before considering a cycle.
    Unfortunately I only have logs going back a year and a half, but when I started I couldn't even bench 95lbs I think I weighed around 158lbs or so, I've always been super skinny. I am definitely gaining weight on this diet. I was maintaining weight (184lbs) with no gains at 3500cal on a 4 day split before increasing my intake.. Gaining weight and increasing my lifts was my goal and I couldn't seem to do it even at 3500cals. Perhaps my BF% is off? I'm going to the gym today and will check my BF%.

Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    IF is a good concept but I think for your weight and dropping bf it's not for you . Diet is off alot man need to cut fat Down and carbs. IMO this is very flawed at the moment.

i suggest u post a pic on here so we can ball park ur bf%

there could be a major difference all the way around depending on ur body composition.. how have u been getting it checked up until now?

google BOD POD for ur area for an accurate reading

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Way too much protein..... If you trying to gain weight shoot for about 1.2g/lb of LBM which is about 185g for you....
    Agreed. I wouldn't go over 250g regardless of whether you're bulking or cutting, and that's pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<---
    i suggest u post a pic on here so we can ball park ur bf%

there could be a major difference all the way around depending on ur body composition.. how have u been getting it checked up until now?

google BOD POD for ur area for an accurate reading
    I kinda guesstimates from a post in here of pictures of people and BF Ranges. I was gonna fat caliper at the gym today.
    BOD POD? A friend suggested that also.

I kinda guesstimates from a post in here of pictures of people and BF Ranges. I was gonna fat caliper at the gym today.
    BOD POD? A friend suggested that also.
    yes! google it for ur area, call and go.. make sure to be fasted and have not drank large aMOUNTs of any liquid. the closer u can be to the state u wake up in, the better!

post a pic too.

$40 and 15 minutes away, I'll schedule an appointment.

If I remove all my protein shakes (ill keep the optimum whey) are my food choices ok? As long as I get my macronutrients to the desired levels? Or is there anything you guys would swap out

Appointment scheduled for next Thursday on the BOD POD!!
    gbrice75 likes this.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^^ reminds me... I need to make one myself, 2 weeks from now.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ reminds me... I need to make one myself, 2 weeks from now.
    So we can expect a depressed gb cause your 11% and not 10.9 like you wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707
    IF is a good concept but I think for your weight and dropping bf it's not for you . Diet is off alot man need to cut fat Down and carbs. IMO this is very flawed at the moment.
    Yeah looking at it now I'm at about 30/33/35 lol think I got mixed up by using 20% fat in grams and not 20% calories from fat. IF is by far my favorite diet routine, with work and my kids it streamlines my day.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9

At a 40/40/20 setup. Does this look right; 185g-Protein, 185g-Carbs, and 41g-Fat (1850 calories) And then are you adding this on top of your already daily expenditure? Sorry for the newb questions, just want to get 110% on track.

At a 40/40/20 setup. Does this look right; 185g-Protein, 185g-Carbs, and 41g-Fat (1850 calories) And then are you adding this on top of your already daily expenditure? Sorry for the newb questions, just want to get 110% on track.
    Huh??

It is 40/40/20 but wats this add on top of daily expenditure? U def do not want an 1800cals surplus!

Have u read the stickies above? Dieting 101: cutting and
    Dieting 101: lean bulking
    ???

^^^. Sorry I meant BMR not Daily expenditure. I've been reading yes and I think I'm just confusing myself, and you guys lol My TDEE is 3055 cal. So should I go 305g-protein, 305g-carbs, and 68g-fat? Or do I maintain the recommended 1.2g-protein per lb of lean muscle and up the carbs to maintain my calories? (185g-protein, 425g-carbs, and 68g-fat)

Gym yesterday:

Squats - 165lbs @ 5reps x 2, 4reps x 2, 2reps x 1
    Overhead Press - 90lbs @ 5x5
    Dead lift - 210lbs @ 5x1

^^^. Sorry I meant BMR not Daily expenditure. I've been reading yes and I think I'm just confusing myself, and you guys lol My TDEE is 3055 cal. So should I go 305g-protein, 305g-carbs, and 68g-fat? Or do I maintain the recommended 1.2g-protein per lb of lean muscle and up the carbs to maintain my calories? (185g-protein, 425g-carbs, and 68g-fat)
    Your tdee is not 3055 it's 2,322 where did you get those numbers? Lbm x15 which is 196x.21(bf%) which is 41.16 so 196-41.16=154.84x15 is 2322 tdee work from there.

Gym yesterday:

Squats - 165lbs @ 5reps x 2, 4reps x 2, 2reps x 1
    Overhead Press - 90lbs @ 5x5
    Dead lift - 210lbs @ 5x1
    What are you working out ? And that was it? Go to other people's log and see what they are doing I have one going in the nutrition section now not perfect but it can be a blue print for you to work off of.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    I don't really get into other peoples diets as I have enough experience to know what works for my body. None of which would probably work exactly like it does for me on anyone else so with that I will now ask my stupid question...

What is IF and is that why you are limiting your eating to 8 hours? I eat 24/7. Sleep is the only time I'm not eating something for more than an hour or 2 at a stretch.

IF = Intermittent Fasting. Google "Lean Gains" for more info. Basically involves fasting for 2/3 of the day and eating only in that 8 hour window.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707

What are you working out ? And that was it? Go to other people's log and see what they are doing I have one going in the nutrition section now not perfect but it can be a blue print for you to work off of.
    That's the Stronglifts 5x5 routine, pretty simple I agree. As far as TDEE, I used the calculations from the TDEE Sticky (BMR=66+(13.7xWeight in kg)+(5xHeight in cm)-(6.8xAge in years)) then multiplied by 1.55 for moderately active.

Where does the (TDEE = LBM x15) come from? I've never seen that equation before?
    Last edited by DuggyPhresh; 05-23-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    IF = Intermittent Fasting. Google "Lean Gains" for more info. Basically involves fasting for 2/3 of the day and eating only in that 8 hour window.
    Ah ok thanks

Gym today:

Squats - 165lbs @ 5reps x 2, 4reps x 2, 3reps x 1
    Bench Press - 135lbs @ 5x5
    Bent Over Row - 145lbs @ 5x5

1 rep more on the last set of my squats and still progressing on bench and row.

Where does the (TDEE = LBM x15) come from? I've never seen that equation before?
    Easies way to figure it out lbm burns a certain amount of calories hourly and daily it's an average rate for most people who have any activity in there life this is considering you have at least decent training and diet which works out to be lbmx15 works for me 3055 is way to much my frein your gunna get big on that diet trust me and not good big.

Gym today:

Squats - 165lbs @ 5reps x 2, 4reps x 2, 3reps x 1
    Bench Press - 135lbs @ 5x5
    Bent Over Row - 145lbs @ 5x5

1 rep more on the last set of my squats and still progressing on bench and row.
    Sry man not trying to sound like an a$$ but if your eating 3055 cal and this is your training and your trying to loss bf and eating all that in 8 hours your gunna blow up IMO not in a good way. Your training and diet need alot of help please go check out my cutting log I created it from alot of reading and advice from GB it will help you see what wrong with your at least.

^^ No I understand man, no offense taken. My plan is to do this Stronglifts routine for 6-12 weeks and assess my one rep max for those lifts. I'm not worried about shedding BF until I'm done doing that. After this routine I plan on moving to a 6 meal a day clean bulk diet (I have a BOD POD appt. next week that will tell me actual BF% and BMR). Can you link your post with your routine?

^^ No I understand man, no offense taken. My plan is to do this Stronglifts routine for 6-12 weeks and assess my one rep max for those lifts. I'm not worried about shedding BF until I'm done doing that. After this routine I plan on moving to a 6 meal a day clean bulk diet (I have a BOD POD appt. next week that will tell me actual BF% and BMR). Can you link your post with your routine?
    Ok... Are you cycling?
    http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...g-log-1-a.html

No. Not cycling. Just looking into it and getting "informed."

Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707 View Post
    No. Not cycling. Just looking into it and getting "informed."
    Ok gotcha.

Gym today:

Squats - 165lbs @ 5reps x 4, 3reps x 1
    Overhead Press - 95lbs @ 5x5
    Deadlift - 215 @ 5x1

Added an extra rep on my last 3 sets on squats.

sgt2jay is offline Knowledgeable Member
    here is my half cent which for many goes from the traditional BB diet. I started IF about a month ago combined with a Paleo/LCHF type diet

My feeding window is from 11am to 6:30 pm and fast then fast until the following day and start again at 11am.

my goal is 2500 cals in the window but i rarley get above 2300 not be choise just the hunger isnt there and i dont so much count calories but eat when hungry with in that window.

My basic Marcos are from thuresday
    2138 cals
    231 pro
    40 carb of that 21g dietary fiber
    122g fat

since i started i have gone from 212 to 201 again roughly 4 weeks.

also worht mentioning my lfit days are during the fast about 5 hours before my feed window starts i agree that there will be some minimal muscle loss but as of yet i havent noticed.

many here have said that the fasting is tough and require discipline. I have to say for me this has been the easiest diet i have erver tried.

after about 2 days it becomes easier and easier. one thing that has helped me is i book end my heavier fat meal at the begining and end of my feed period.
    it helps give you that fuller feeling right away when breaking your fast and prvent you from over eating and the same goes at the end of the feed it gives the full feeling longer to carry you to bed time which allows you to sleep through moost of your fast.

I an going to keep at this for longer and when i get a full grasp of it i intend to post a log on my experiences

i forgot to add which i feel is important my fat sources:
    Avocado
    almonds
    beef
    eggs
    coconut oil

@sgt2jay

Good to hear man. I think the hardest part about IF is getting used to the fasting period. Once you get past that it's easy. Have you googled "lean gains?" Lots of good info on IF.

honestly the onlyhard part of the fasting is the thought of it. Oncde you do it you will realize how easy it is. i also found i dont need to be as strict as you think. for example on wednesdays it is my most active day so i find my self hungry soone and my fast is only 15 hours but most days is is 16.5 to 17 hours.

after a couple week you kind of get a feel on when you need to eat as opposed to whe you want to eat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information