Armykid93 is offline Productive Member

Interesting study on high/low gi foods

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...Weight+Loss%29

I thought this was really interesting. What do you guys think?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armykid93 View Post
    New brain imaging study provides support for the notion of food addiction

I thought this was really interesting. What do you guys think?
    This concept of addiction is nothing new. There's a reason restaurant chains (not just fast food) have psychologists and behavioral experts doing more heavy lifting than their actual chefs.

What is new, obviously, is the notion that these cravings can be responsibly silenced by a substantial rise in blood sugar and not a traditional healthy response to hunger. For me, it's nonsense -- not that I don't believe the study or what the imaging shows, but do you really think obesity has much to do with actual hunger? My answer is no, and that's why I cite psychology and behavior in my initial paragraph. People like to graze while watching movies or sitting in the car, or doing just about anything else. After a while, eating becomes associated with these activities and it becomes no different than chewing gum or smoking or biting your nails, it's just a fixation, a nervous habit, or a compulsive thing to pass the time. My point is that until we target the root of the issue, eating when people aren't hungry, any consumption of high GI carbs to satisfy cravings is not the answer. If it was, diets that simply control portion size wouldn't have such a low success rate, i.e. something like 90% of people who start Weight Watcher's don't see it through. It's like saying that ordering a dessert and having two bites is better than allowing the cravings to fester. Yes, that's probably true, but only in the case of an individual who can actually have only two bites; that individual probably isn't overweight in the first place. Final thoughts: interesting but minimally applicable to obesity in modern society where we eat for fun and subsidize the cheapest, shittiest foods and make them easily available everywhere.
    Last edited by Damienm05; 06-27-2013 at 07:44 AM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Tbh, I didn't read it. I saw 'GI' and my eyes glazed over, sorry!

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    I don't really believe in the whole gi thing either but it was interesting none the less

Thread Information