Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It's working!

bethdoth is offline Knowledgeable Member

It's working!

I had my BF% checked on Jan 2nd and then again today. I know calipers are not the best but I had a baseline. I was 26.4% on Jan 2nd at 213 pounds today 22% at 205 Lost 11 pounds of fat and gained over 2 pounds of muscle! I have lost over 3 inches off the love handles too!

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoag
    I had my BF% checked on Jan 2nd and then again today. I know calipers are not the best but I had a baseline. I was 26.4% on Jan 2nd at 213 pounds today 22% at 205 Lost 11 pounds of fat and gained over 2 pounds of muscle! I have lost over 3 inches off the love handles too!
    If you are 22% im higher then the caliper readings im taking. Im getting readings of 13.9% u look way better then me. (granted my son isnt the best at taking readings lol) Good going mate your looking good. What style of diet are you following?

I am doing fasting cardio at 5AM then lifting at 3:30 PM. Here is my meal plan for a typical day. I may try reducing carbs and increasing fat just a bit to try an break my current plateau. I just started the Lyle Mcdonald (???) fasting cardio protocol that Stem always mentions this morning. 5min warm up, then 10 minutes of 15 sec wide open 45 second rest (10 reps=10 minutes), 20 minutes at 70% RPE (for me 145-150BPM heart rate), then 5 sets of 30 sec at 85% RPE rest 30 sec, last 5 minutes I do at about 135BPM then 5 minute cool down.

I thought it was pretty funny when the trainer said "Wow I don't know any guys your age that could do this" Like I'm an old man at 52.
    Last edited by bethdoth; 02-05-2013 at 06:01 PM.

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Congrats man. Feels good to see your body changing for the better.

< <Samson> > is offline Neurologically Intact
    Blog Entries
    Looking damn decent, I strongly doubt u r over 18%. Maybe even leaner than I am now, and I am under 18%.

bdos is offline Anabolic Member
    Good on ya, what is your goal weight and bf%

My goal is 15% BUT, that is just a number I picked that I felt I may have uncovered a 6 pack at that number. I was really happy to hear that he felt I actually gained 2.5 pounds of muscle. It's hard to push to muscle failure because everyone at the gym has there ear buds in listening to music...so it makes it harder to get a spot and help forcing reps.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    My goal is 15% BUT, that is just a number I picked that I felt I may have uncovered a 6 pack at that number. I was really happy to hear that he felt I actually gained 2.5 pounds of muscle. It's hard to push to muscle failure because everyone at the gym has there ear buds in listening to music...so it makes it harder to get a spot and help forcing reps.
    Be nice to see side by side pics of start and current, with the same pose in each one.

If you struggle for a spot for forced reps just do a drop set instead.

All good news so far, we'll done mate, stay with it
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks for all the encouragement and comments. I wish I would have taken a pic the day I started, it would be nice to see the change side by side. I will look and see what pics I have on my PC at home. I have been super-setting with light weights after I go heavy.

junk2222yard is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhoag View Post
    I am doing fasting cardio at 5AM then lifting at 3:30 PM. Here is my meal plan for a typical day. I may try reducing carbs and increasing fat just a bit to try an break my current plateau. I just started the Lyle Mcdonald (???) fasting cardio protocol that Stem always mentions this morning. 5min warm up, then 10 minutes of 15 sec wide open 45 second rest (10 reps=10 minutes), 20 minutes at 70% RPE (for me 145-150BPM heart rate), then 5 sets of 30 sec at 85% RPE rest 30 sec, last 5 minutes I do at about 135BPM then 5 minute cool down.
    Great work, man! You are an inspiration, really.

I am going to research this protocol you are doing. But tell me, how grueling is it?

A few years ago I was doing HIIT cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, and I lasted a week before throwing in the towel. Just too hard on my system. Went back to regular cardio later in the day and stuck with it, but it took forever and the results were poor.

J2222y,
    I hear that a lot. When I tell people what I am doing they say "Oh I could never do that on an empty stomach". At first it was very hard for me to roll out of bed at 4:30 and be at the gym in PT gear ready to go at 5AM. Now it's like I don't even have to set an alarm. I am up and ready to go, sitting at the gym finishing my coffee with BCAA's waiting for them to open. I prepare everything the night before, coffee ready to go, breakfast made and take it to eat at work later, lunch made and packed, work clothes in my gym bag and PT close on the floor next to the bed. I have also started going to bed earlier 9PM vise 10PM. There are morning that my energy level feels down but, those are the days that count when you push through it and get a good work out in despite feeling a bit drained. I have also found that taking a day off and doing nothing but reducing calories a bit is beneficial. The day after a good rest I always feel stronger.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    No way are you 22%. If you're 22%, i'm currently 40%. You're closer to 17% or so brother.

I will eventually have to go get a better BF% measurement but, If I use the same trainer with the same calipers, same scale, same time of day, etc.... it will show progress made.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    looking good mate!...........excellent work, well done!

I couldn't find any pics on my PC from December time frame that even remotely showed how fat I was. I can carry the extra fat pretty good. There have been times in the past that I was pushing 220 and droped down to close to 200 and no one would even notice. At one point in my life (1987) I was 224 lbs, 25% BF (IAW Navy height to weight to circumference of waist minus neck) and smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I left on a ship (USS Wainwright CG-28) for a Med cruise and came back 6 months later at 171 pounds, 11% BF and had not had a cigarette since day 2 of the cruise.
    Ok so even at 171 pounds I did not have a 6 pack.... so what do I need to do to build my Ab muscles while I am digging them out from this layer of FAT?

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...s#.URLFViggGc1

This appears to be quite popular.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by SteM View Post
    WOW this is going to be fun! Thanks that should do it.

I absolutely destroyed myself yesterday! My body had no energy left at 7:30 PM last night.

Up at 4:15 coffee with BCAA>> at the gym 5AM and did 50 minutes Lyle cardio>> ate protein pancakes at 7:15 >> ate salad (spinach, chicken breast, dried cranberrys with Zesty Italian free dressing) at 1015 >> ate 2 cans of tuna with light miracle whip and roman lettuce leafs at 1230>> protein shakes at 2>> gym at 3:30 did chest and back 5 reps to failure and the Ab routine from stems link above. Got home and shoveled the darn driveway (5" new snow again), went in and made dinner while drinking a protein shake with 1tsp peanut butter, 6:45 ate cod with grilled asparagus. Finally at about 7:15 sat down in my chair had a 10oz glass of coke zero.

Jumped on the scale this morning at it appears my plateau may be broke! 197 down 1.8 pounds.

Keep going mate, you'll be amazed how good you look before summer even arrives!
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I was 198 Last Saturday and 196 this morning. In pic left is 198 and right is today at 196, lost 2 pounds this week not real noticeable in the pic. But, by the tape measure I lost 1/2 inch off the love handles this week. I will continue what I am doing but get more hard core on the ABs! Since I just went back to the gym (under new owners) back in November non of the trainers, owners or desk personnel knew me. All of the trainers seem to have taken an interest in my progress and one of the ladies that owns the place has nick named me the Machine. I must be doing something right for an older guy!

jedax is offline Junior Member
    do you squeze your abs in your photos you are too lean for %22(even the first pic)

I would be fibbing if I said I don't tighten my AB"s a bit. Off to do legs today.

Synergy1 is offline Junior Member
    Looking good! Impressive work.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    I would be fibbing if I said I don't tighten my AB"s a bit. Off to do legs today.
    Another member getting great abs. I can't wait to do this routine. Looking good!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. This morning was difficult. Did legs yesterday so my legs were already screaming. Then the wife kicked me out of bed for snoring, so I went to the grandkids room, the darn sump pump was kicking on every 45 seconds or so. Not a good night of sleep but, made it to the gym at 5 and did my 50 minutes of HIIT!

Today is a day of rest...I swear every muscle in my body hurts (good hurt). I got up a bit early this morning and went out and sat in my hot tub for 15 minutes and stretched..then off to work relaxed. I am up 2 pounds in the past couple days but, this typically happens when I eat red meat vise fish or chicken.
    What are some good things I can do to recover on my off days? I do take BCAA's and Glutimine. I have a 1 hour massage scheduled for Sunday... I can't wait... she does a great job and I always feel awesome for 3-4 days after.

DeeJay7211 is offline New Member
    Hey rhoag post a link with ur daily calorie spreadsheet when u have some time. I'm not good at excel and have been jacking around with trying to make one for over a wk. It would be very helpful if ur willing to share it!

Good luck with ur ongoing training. Looking very good and providing mucho motivation for me...

sent you a PM I would have to e-mail it to you. I don't know of any other way to attach an excel file???
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJay7211 View Post
    Hey rhoag post a link with ur daily calorie spreadsheet when u have some time. I'm not good at excel and have been jacking around with trying to make one for over a wk. It would be very helpful if ur willing to share it!

Good luck with ur ongoing training. Looking very good and providing mucho motivation for me...

I know I can't compare to the progress blondee is making but, I am happy with the results. This week my weight was up early in the week but was back down to 196 by the end. Lost another 1/2' of the love handles. I will just keep doing what I am doing till I reach my goal. if I stop making progress then I will switch something up.

I think I am going to give up my cheat day. I have 4 slices of pizza and 5 crown royals and diet pepsi last night. Woke up at 2AM with a huge knot in my upper stomach like I wasn't digesting the pizza. Felt like crap and didn't sleep well, so my workout was not very intense this morning.

Anyway, here is a pic with 2 weeks progress. Living in Wisconsin the land of beer, cheese and brats I feel pretty darn good for 52 years young!!!

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    I know I can't compare to the progress blondee is making but, I am happy with the results. This week my weight was up early in the week but was back down to 196 by the end. Lost another 1/2' of the love handles. I will just keep doing what I am doing till I reach my goal. if I stop making progress then I will switch something up.

I think I am going to give up my cheat day. I have 4 slices of pizza and 5 crown royals and diet pepsi last night. Woke up at 2AM with a huge knot in my upper stomach like I wasn't digesting the pizza. Felt like crap and didn't sleep well, so my workout was not very intense this morning.

Anyway, here is a pic with 2 weeks progress. Living in Wisconsin the land of beer, cheese and brats I feel pretty darn good for 52 years young!!!
    Excellent stuff! definate improvement again.......you are flying mate, well done.

Hmmmmm, your shorts fell off. Don't worry about that it appears endemic with folk on this site

Good work mate, keep going you'll get there.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks! Stem the 2 things you provided for me the ab routine and the fasting HIIT are really aiding this process. Yesterday I did 60 minutes of the fasting cardio and added 1 set of 15sec all out 45 sec rest for a total of 11 minutes. did 5.5 miles and 1025 calories according to the elliptical!

Next week will be a challenge. I have to go to Kansas City for a week and live out of a hotel and not so good gym facilities. The room does have a fridge, stove and sink so i can do my own cooking. Any idea what I could do to maybe accelerate fat lose while I am gone for a week ... with no distractions?

Hit the gym morning and evening. Cardio 2x a day is fine. make your fasted low intensity and your later cardio HIIT, provided you have the facilities?

It's good that you can cook your own food, there should be no excuses on that score i guess.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

No excuses. I think I may try some of those crazy exercises I see the trainers having their clients do with dumbbells and kettle-balls. I was reading a book today that detailed a lot of multiple movement exercises with dumbbells. I can't remember from the last time I was there what the heaviest dumbbell they had. I was also thinking of starting to do a minimum 12 hour fast once a week? Probably on my off day Tuesday from atleast 5PM to 7AM with HIIT at 5AM?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Nice progress. Keep up the good work.

I feel like I am going backwards this week for some reason? My weight for the last 2 weeks has gone up and down between 196 and 199. My waist is staying about the same this week. But, almost every muscle in my body is sore from working out very hard. I am up to twice a week on the ab routine, did HIIT cardio Monday, Wed and this morning, Wed did chest and back then another 25 minutes of easy cardio. I have continued to eat clean this week with the exception of a couple glasses of wine one night and one makers mark and coke zero last night.
    Tomorrow is a new day and will hit it hard again.

austinite is offline HRT Specialist ~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    Great progress rhoag!

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    do u have gyno?

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No excuses. I think I may try some of those crazy exercises I see the trainers having their clients do with dumbbells and kettle-balls. I was reading a book today that detailed a lot of multiple movement exercises with dumbbells. I can't remember from the last time I was there what the heaviest dumbbell they had. I was also thinking of starting to do a minimum 12 hour fast once a week? Probably on my off day Tuesday from atleast 5PM to 7AM with HIIT at 5AM?

mate do a 24 hour fast if only once a week, 12 hours will do nothing at a ll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information