siniganngbaboy1 is offline New Member

Macro Ratio Research

I have read many books and read many posts that discuss macro nutrition. I read posts and they say to do 50/30/20 & 40/40/20 diet. Lately, I have been reading a lot of new books with new research saying to use the following:

1.25g of protein per lean lbs
    50-65%double to triple the amount of carbs
    20-25% = fat

They say that the body doesn't need a excess amount of protein throughout day (40-50%). They refer the high protein style diet "old school" way of thinking. Eat enough protein for repair and growth (which is 1.25g of protein per lean mass of lbs). Also it says to increase the amount of carbs up to 50-65% of calories intake (essentially doubling or tripling the amount of grams of protein) throughout the day. The thought process behind that is to preserve the muscle and making sure the body doesn't tap into muscle as energy. By increasing the amount of carbs it will make sure it preserves the muscle

Let's do some calculation:
    Weight: 200lbs
    Height: 5'8
    Sex: M
    BF: 18%

sooooo...

BMR: 1994
    Daily: 3091
    Gain: +500

Total: 3591

Breakdown
    Protein: 202.75 = 811 calories / 23%
    Carbs: 493.76 = 1975 calories / 55%
    Fat: 87.78 = 790 calories / 22%

So to sum up what this post is about, I want to know if that sounds legit? Doesn't that seem like that is A LOT of carbs? Research says that the amount of protein is just enough for a person to build muscle. Even if you were to reduce the amount of carbs 52% and raise the fats to 25%, that still leaves 466g of carbs and 99.75g of fat.

I think in that diet (being a natural endomorph), yea I would gain muscle, but even with a clean diet I would gain massive amount of fat because of the excess carbs... I know during bulking phase I will naturally gain some kind of fat, but with almost 500g of carbs, even if clean would demolish my body lol? Maybe for a natural ectomorph or hybrid ecto/meso this would be good but not for the other half...

What are your thoughts to what the "new research"?

basketballfan22 is offline Senior Member
    How did you calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR)? A good starting point would be to multiply your lean body mass (LBM) by 15; or because you are an endomorph, by 13. This would give you

BMR = (200)(0.82)(13) = 2132 Calories per day.

Because you are an endomorph, you will most likely be more sensitive to carbohydrates; so you should start at a smaller number. I would suggest you start with a ratio of 40%:20%:20% carbs to protein to fats. From there, you can adjust the ratios based on your results, e.g. if you are gaining too much fat, then reduce the number of carbs. I would suggest you consume 500 Calories more than your BMR that way you can expect gains of about 1 pound per week.
    Last edited by basketballfan22; 06-29-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballfan22 View Post
    How did you calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR)? A good starting point would be to multiply your lean body mass (LBM) by 15; or because you are an endomorph, by 13. This would give you

BMR = (200)(0.82)(13) = 2132 Calories per day.

Because you are an endomorph, you will most likely be more sensitive to carbohydrates; so you should start at a smaller number. I would suggest you start with a ratio of 40%:20%:20% carbs to protein to fats. From there, you can adjust the ratios based on your results, e.g. if you are gaining too much fat, then reduce the number of carbs. I would suggest you consume 500 Calories more than your BMR that way you can expect gains of about 1 pound per week.
    Do you mean 40/40/20? I know you probably were but just making sure...

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I wouldn't worry so much about the macro percentages.
    First, build your diet around your protein requirements (mainly with lean meats). Then factor in the accompanying fat, and add in foods rich in unsaturated fat 10-15% of your total cals) and polyunsaturated (under 10%). Now fill in the rest of your diet with enough carbs to bulk on (try to stick to whole grains and fruits + veggies). For me, this comes out to about 34/33/33 at ~3000 cals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    I wouldn't worry so much about the macro percentages.
    First, build your diet around your protein requirements (mainly with lean meats). Then factor in the accompanying fat, and add in foods rich in unsaturated fat 10-15% of your total cals) and polyunsaturated (under 10%). Now fill in the rest of your diet with enough carbs to bulk on (try to stick to whole grains and fruits + veggies). For me, this comes out to about 34/33/33 at ~3000 cals.
    That's what I was saying...I built my protein caloric intake based off of 1.25 (recommendation based off of new research) per lean mass. When I fill the rest in, my carbohydrate intake reaches almost 500g of cabs which seems excessive for my carb sensitive body...what formula did you use for your protein requirements?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Anyone 18% bf (my current bf% btw) needs to cut!!!

500g carbs + 90g fat everyday would make a lot of people fat!! Prob most.. Myself included..

At 200lbs 18%bf (164lbs LBM)

164 x 15 = 2460

2460 + 350 = 2810 cals

Where id start to be safe

Thread Information