Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Java Man
  • 2 Post By jimmyinkedup

Thread: Soy vs. Whey Protein - a comparison

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

Soy vs. Whey Protein - a comparison

So I was pushing the cart over at Winco, and noticed that the bulk protein powder is running about $10/lb for whey compared to $5/lb for soy. Not ever having tried soy protein powder before, I decided to do a little reading when i got back home.

Here is what I found, besides the fact soy protein is running about half the price of whey....

Both are complete proteins

There is some controversy about the possibility of estrogenic effects of soy protein

There is some anecdotal information that soy can actually increase water retention in the skin as measured by the BF caliper.

So out of curiosity, I'd like to ask those that have used both to give us an opinion of what your experiences for both have been. Pros/Cons, your reactions/impressions, that sort of thing.

Thanks!
    ---Roman

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    For quite some time i used zoneperfect whey /soy blend cause i got hooked up with cases of it for free. I noticed no difference at all.
    Odd that I now buy a milk protein/ whey blend (with protease complex) though isnt it ??

V-ROID is offline Member
    Never used whey so can't compare... Get enough soy in diet so haven't used soy protein powder in ages, but never been afflicted with man-boobs or had bouts of crying. I buy a pea/hemp/rice protein mix in bulk and take spirulina and chlorella to up my protein. Soy protein isolate is very cheap and zero carb. I don't subscribe to the soy/estrogen theory really having having much impact on physique or hormone balance. I would have no problem using soy protein if I had a free 80 gallon drum sitting around.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VEGAN-O-ROID View Post
    Never used whey so can't compare... Get enough soy in diet so haven't used soy protein powder in ages, but never been afflicted with man-boobs or had bouts of crying. I buy a pea/hemp/rice protein mix in bulk and take spirulina and chlorella to up my protein. Soy protein isolate is very cheap and zero carb. I don't subscribe to the soy/estrogen theory really having having much impact on physique or hormone balance. I would have no problem using soy protein if I had a free 80 gallon drum sitting around.
    link?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Soy protein is tied with casein as the least anabolic sources of protein (per human studies).

V-ROID is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    link?
    Here is the soy: True Nutrition | Soy Protein Isolate – non-GMO (1lb)

and what I usually buy: True Nutrition | Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula (1lb)

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Haven't I read that there are pro-estrogenic effects with soy? Maybe I'm wrong.

JuicedG.I. is offline New Member
    They are in no way the same. Whey, egg and soy all have different bio-availability rates. Bio-availability is the rate at which your body can use these protein sources. Whey protein being the highest, followed by egg and then soy. Phytoestrogens are present in soy.. so yes estrogen can be a problem when consumed in high quantity's. That is why women who are on menopause are recommended to take soy protein's. However Isoflavone-free soy isolate does not have any pro-estrogenic properties.
    Last edited by JuicedG.I.; 07-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    Good explanation. Thanks.

Java Man is offline Known Troll
    While I'm intro a good deal a much as anyone is it has to be a good deal for what I'm getting. I've read that soy has low bioavailability too, so I stopped using it. I can't honestly say I notice a difference between soy and whey but I didn't use soy for very long. 2 months. Plus, I was fat and out of shape 8 months ago. I could have drank chalk and saw some changes lol. Just changing my diet and getting back into the gym was probably enough stimulation by itself.
    JuicedG.I. likes this.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    While I'm intro a good deal a much as anyone is it has to be a good deal for what I'm getting. I've read that soy has low bioavailability too, so I stopped using it. I can't honestly say I notice a difference between soy and whey but I didn't use soy for very long. 2 months. Plus, I was fat and out of shape 8 months ago. I could have drank chalk and saw some changes lol. Just changing my diet and getting back into the gym was probably enough stimulation by itself.
    This is an excellent post. So often we like to look at all these minute details like soy or whey or casein blah blah blah. As you pointed out most anything, done with consistency and done properly will yield good results..regardless of the small stuff. Again its interesting topic and I thank TR for posting it but this is, IMO, an excellent post of how "The real world" works .....
    JuicedG.I. and Java Man like this.

Thread Information