Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Back In Black

Thread: Weighing out food

  1. #1
    pitweiler is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    586

    Weighing out food

    I've been weighing out my chicken and what not after I've cooked it. Is that how your suppose to do it? A friend questioned me about it and its got me thinking.

  2. #2
    MBear is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21
    My buddy's brother does this. I asked him if it has been working for him. He is in a cutting phase and said yeah.

  3. #3
    GEEZII is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    116
    i weighed after cooking because i cooked in bulk and it worked fine, but now i weigh it raw, worked both ways for me

  4. #4
    ppwc1985's Avatar
    ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,928
    I weigh after, I cook 40 breast at time and they all weigh about 4 oz before so then I just equal them out afterwards.

  5. #5
    pitweiler is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    586
    I do it In bulk too. That's why I was dong it after. Seems like it would be a PITA to do it raw and in bulk.

  6. #6
    GEEZII is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    116
    lol yeah it gets annoying, however i eat a lot of mince (chicken, beef, turkey) so when i weigh it raw, i make balls out of them. and then when i cook it in bulk, i know how much is in each ball, if you get what i mean.
    chicken breast, steaks, etc.. would be annoying though.

  7. #7
    Back In Black's Avatar
    Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    17,186
    Weigh all your food in its uncooked state.
    baseline_9 likes this.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

  8. #8
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,035
    Blog Entries
    162
    All foods should be weighed raw, no exceptions.

    Thanks
    ~T

  9. #9
    ppwc1985's Avatar
    ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,928
    Why, if you know the macros of your cooked food then there is no reason. Now if it is someone who just started counting cals and keeping up with macros I understand. So op if you don't know these things then yes scale it raw, but when you get experienced than either way will be fine. There is no way to weigh raw if cooking large quantities. But there are plenty of ways to know the macros of cooked food.

  10. #10
    human project's Avatar
    human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,909
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pitweiler
    I've been weighing out my chicken and what not after I've cooked it. Is that how your suppose to do it? A friend questioned me about it and its got me thinking.
    Ya I never can decide how to do it either..... I personally weigh meat after cooked and everything else before..... Meat is just too dependent on how its cooked....
    Last edited by human project; 07-08-2013 at 01:55 AM.

  11. #11
    human project's Avatar
    human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,909
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985
    Why, if you know the macros of your cooked food then there is no reason. Now if it is someone who just started counting cals and keeping up with macros I understand. So op if you don't know these things then yes scale it raw, but when you get experienced than either way will be fine. There is no way to weigh raw if cooking large quantities. But there are plenty of ways to know the macros of cooked food.
    Ya I think I answered this too fast lol..... After a while you kinda just divide your macros into percentages depending on bulking, cutting, ect..... After that its just increasing or decreasing portions to match diet, goals and training.... That's how I do it at least.... for me weighting my food is just to make sure I ate at least as much as yesterday hahahahaha

  12. #12
    Back In Black's Avatar
    Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    17,186
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985
    Why, if you know the macros of your cooked food then there is no reason. Now if it is someone who just started counting cals and keeping up with macros I understand. So op if you don't know these things then yes scale it raw, but when you get experienced than either way will be fine. There is no way to weigh raw if cooking large quantities. But there are plenty of ways to know the macros of cooked food.
    Because food changes weight when you cook it. You cook it for a few minutes longer or shorter from one time to the next then the end weight will be different every time. In its uncooked state that weight is always the same.

    I'm unsure as to your point that you can't weigh large quantities of food raw?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

  13. #13
    ppwc1985's Avatar
    ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black

    Because food changes weight when you cook it. You cook it for a few minutes longer or shorter from one time to the next then the end weight will be different every time. In its uncooked state that weight is always the same.

    I'm unsure as to your point that you can't weigh large quantities of food raw?
    Idk I been doing this 25 years and always weigh after, at least meat I do. It's hard to say cause I eat mostly chicken and macros can change with each bird. Most time if I'm just preparing one meal I don't even have to weigh it cause you get used to portion size. Everyone has their own opinion so do what works for you.

  14. #14
    Back In Black's Avatar
    Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    17,186
    Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985

    Idk I been doing this 25 years and always weigh after, at least meat I do. It's hard to say cause I eat mostly chicken and macros can change with each bird. Most time if I'm just preparing one meal I don't even have to weigh it cause you get used to portion size. Everyone has their own opinion so do what works for you.
    Once you've been doing it some time it's pretty easy to eyeball a chicken breast or a potato and know pretty much what it weighs. There are folks here that look stupendous that never weigh anything, they just know what they eat.

    For the 'beginner' it is good practice to weigh food and know exactly what they eat. It's more exact to do it raw because 100g of chicken weighed raw will always yield the same macros whether it is 90g or 60g in its cooked state. Carbs that absorb water are the same (but the opposite), rice and pasta gain water and may be entirely different weights if you cook them for different periods.

    The differences in each portion may very well be negligible but over 6 meals a day, 7 days a week it will all add up.

    Be interesting to see if you weigh a meal in its raw form if it yields the same macro's in its cooked form that you are used to.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

  15. #15
    ppwc1985's Avatar
    ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black

    Once you've been doing it some time it's pretty easy to eyeball a chicken breast or a potato and know pretty much what it weighs. There are folks here that look stupendous that never weigh anything, they just know what they eat.

    For the 'beginner' it is good practice to weigh food and know exactly what they eat. It's more exact to do it raw because 100g of chicken weighed raw will always yield the same macros whether it is 90g or 60g in its cooked state. Carbs that absorb water are the same (but the opposite), rice and pasta gain water and may be entirely different weights if you cook them for different periods.

    The differences in each portion may very well be negligible but over 6 meals a day, 7 days a week it will all add up.

    Be interesting to see if you weigh a meal in its raw form if it yields the same macro's in its cooked form that you are used to.
    I understand where you coming from. IMO macros are never right on anyway. If you take it to a lab I bet most our macros are off, lol.

  16. #16
    baseline_9's Avatar
    baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    UK Get in the diet forum!
    Posts
    7,901
    Weigh it raw
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

    Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

    Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •