Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100

Change of Plans...

Here is my dilema. We are moving across country mid September and I know I will have about a month of limited workouts and poor dieting (lots of eating on the road) although I will do my best to eat as healthy as possible. That said, I think I will use my last 6-8 weeks here in Vegas as a chance to try a bulking diet (GB's lean bulk to be exact) and try to add some lean body mass (with minimal bf) before we move. I am currently sitting at 18% bf and hope to not exceed 20-21% with the move. After we get settled in I will once again start cutting down to 15% bf so I can do my first aas cycle hopefully no later than 1 April of next year.

Does this make sense or should I just continue with my cutting efforts? How do I get the most bang for my buck?

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Cut until you reach sub 10%... And clean bulk from there before you think about aas!

That's my advice. Bulking at 18% is a bad idea! I know from experience when I started out!

What type of diet did you use? How much over TDEE did you consume? What was your lifting schedule like? Also ,did you still do cardio? I appreciate the advice but would like to know more about what went wrong with your bulking experience and how you went about it. Like I mentioned I certainly won't run a cycle until I hit a minimum of 15% bf (if nothing else the one thing I've learned here is no cycle above 15% bf or under the age of 25) so no worries there. If things start to creep out of hand I will jump back into my cutting diet without hesitation. Now that my test and thyroid issues are under control I can lose weight much like when I was 30 years younger.

Bump for any other opinions/options?

IMO a bulk at that bf % will just hide any gains you make.

I ate at 400 over TDEE, workout heavy traditional HIT split 4 days per week and cardio was 2-3 days per week! it was a relatively clean bulk but gaining fat at a high bf already made me demotivated and it is harder to lose!!

RipOwens is offline Member
    I was talked out of bulking at 18%....the logic finally made sense to me....if I'm not happy at 18, am I going to be happy at 20+ bf? I was eating way over TDEE, maybe 800 or so. For me, I decided to cut BF but slowly. I'm not in a hurry so that was a factor too

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate the input. I understand your reasoning. I've just been cutting for 3+ months now and need a change of pace if nothing else. For now I think I'll eat my cutting diet macros (TDEE - 450) on non lift days and TDEE + ~300 on lift days (4 days/week). This will put me right at TDEE each week. I will be hitting the weights like there's no tomorrow for the next 6-8 weeks. Started with arms and abs yesterday and walked out of the gym with nothing left in the tank. Tri's are already sore and I hope the bi's will soon follow. Feeling it in the abs too. I will keep a very close watch on weight/bf/lm and if anything looks amiss I will jump straight back into cutting. I'd like to get some of my muscle back after watching it dwindle bit by bit the last three months. Except for leg days I plan to hit cardio every bit as hard as I have been. I guess I'll just have to see how my body responds. Now that I'm on trt and t3/t4 my body actually responds to what I do to it now unlike before when it just laughed at me and said no. lol.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Cutting for 3 months you do need a break. Maintenance or slightly above will do you no harm at all. If you then want to cut again its likely your progress will be improved as a result. The last time I ran maintenance after a cut I dropped 3lbs in 2 weeks!

Are you doing cardio?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Whatever you decide to do mate keep us posted..would like to see your progress either way!

If your happy to do a cycle at 15% why not cut until your at 15% an then bulk from there? If you want to hold off on the cycle that is.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Cutting for 3 months you do need a break. Maintenance or slightly above will do you no harm at all. If you then want to cut again its likely your progress will be improved as a result. The last time I ran maintenance after a cut I dropped 3lbs in 2 weeks!

Are you doing cardio?
    I do fasted cardio almost every morning with a 15-30 mile bike ride. Average about 16 mph so a fairly moderate pace. I really like biking and it is very easy on the knees. Honestly I worry I might be doing to much cardio and it is cutting into the lbm...

I was kind of thinking along the same lines because the body loves to do the same thing everyday and sometimes you just have to shock it with something new.
    Last edited by Brazensol; 07-18-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Whatever you decide to do mate keep us posted..would like to see your progress either way!

If your happy to do a cycle at 15% why not cut until your at 15% an then bulk from there? If you want to hold off on the cycle that is.

Good luck
    Thanks and I'll post my progress. Since I know I won't be able to cycle until at least early next year I just thought I'd see if I can add some lean without while adding only minimal bf. Anything over 2% and it's back to cutting so it will be walking a tight rope for sure. We'll consider it a science experiment! lol.

Thread Information