dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries

Plant based diet and bodybuilding, is it possible.

Hi, I am thinking of radically changing my diet.
    I am interested in a plant based food programme.
    Can it be achieved, whilst bodybuilding and if so has anyone got any advice on plant base protein sources.
    I tried hemp protein a few months back, but it played havoc with my digestive system.
    I am starting my first cycle, test e only in a few days, would it be more prudent to leave a plant based diet until after the cycle.

V-ROID is offline Member
    EVERYONE here will tell you meat is the way to go. Hard to hit macros without meat unless you resort to a lot of powders. I prefer pea/hemp/rice protein mix I buy in bulk. You can mix whatever ratios you like or leave out hemp. I just try to stay away from soy supplements so that I can enjoy it in my diet. There is a body building forum dedicated to what you want to do, but not too impressive really, not winning any competitions, except among themselves. I haven't had meat in almost 20 years, no dairy in almost 10. Everyone responds differently and you could do well, but would probably be at a disadvantage to our carnivore buddies.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by VEGAN-O-ROID View Post
    I haven't had meat in almost 20 years, no dairy in almost 10.
    curious to how this has gone for u??

also what do u do about bbq ribs, chicken, steak ??

u dont like bacon and sausage??

oh and pizza??

V-ROID is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    curious to how this has gone for u??

also what do u do about bbq ribs, chicken, steak ??

u dont like bacon and sausage??

oh and pizza??
    Haha and I don't eat wheat, corn or many grains at all either. I use besan (chick pea flour) to make pizza crust, cornbread or whatever with slight variations. Splurging tonight and wife making quesa(less)dillas. I was raised big into hunting so I have eaten almost every kind of meat you can imagine. In 1994 I thought going vegetarian was the healthiest choice. 2004 said why don't drop dairy too and get really healthy. 2010 dropped wheat and that made more of an impact than anything else I have ever tried in my life. Fat fell off and cardio actually started to show like I wanted it to. I still cook meat for friend and relatives. No problems with killing shit for food. I just feel like I can't go back now. Enough about me... sorry to sidetrack.

^^ thx

V-ROID is offline Member
    Ah dinner was yum but too much trouble to log macros. Let's just say I am stuffed. I also IF and only consume calories in about a 4 hour window at most, sometimes more, but sometimes just skip a whole day. Sorry OP but thought my tempeh stuffed meal might show you how I get some of my protein. Bean chips and guac on side...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plant based diet and bodybuilding, is it possible.-20130724_181909.jpg  

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It is possible, but you'll have to become a master of amino acid contents (knowing which foods contain/lack which aminos) so that you can ingest the equivalent of complete protein.

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Do you concider tofu as a plant based food? I mean it actually is, but is it something you can have?

dickster is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    Sounds difficult, but most things of benefit are.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    It is possible, but you'll have to become a master of amino acid contents (knowing which foods contain/lack which aminos) so that you can ingest the equivalent of complete protein.
    Too bad hemp messes the OP up. I eat chlorella and spirulina at least once a day.

Spirulina
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Seaweed, spirulina, dried

Chlorella
    Sunchlorella | Chlorella Library Number2

Hemp wiki
    Hempseed's amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[11] Hemp protein contains all 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential ones[12] adult bodies cannot produce.

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    I bought some hemp protein awhile back and it was nearly impossible to mix in a shake or drink. It had the consistency of sand. I'm sure it may work better to cook with?

It's readout like VOR said was really good.

V-ROID is offline Member
    Yah hemp is pretty gritty. Gotta keep shaking it before you drink to stir up the sediment. Otherwise, like you said, last gulp is like sand. I make protein ice cream with is sometimes and always turns out good. Canned coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup, peanut butter, coconut, avocado, blue berries, nuts or anything laying around.

i dated a vegetarian a long time ago and she made some pretty good stuff! vegan i bet u have some good recipes.. ?? maybe u should start a vegetarian thread with recipes??

swansong is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Diamond View Post
    I bought some hemp protein awhile back and it was nearly impossible to mix in a shake or drink. It had the consistency of sand. I'm sure it may work better to cook with?

It's readout like VOR said was really good.
    The best way to mix hemp protein, or any for that matter, is fill the cup first with water then put the powder in and stir with a spoon. It works great this way. Way easier than putting a lid on the cup and shaking it.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by VEGAN-O-ROID

Too bad hemp messes the OP up. I eat chlorella and spirulina at least once a day.

Spirulina
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Seaweed, spirulina, dried

Chlorella
    Sunchlorella | Chlorella Library Number2

Hemp wiki
    Hempseed's amino acid profile is close to "complete" when compared to more common sources of proteins such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[11] Hemp protein contains all 21 known amino acids, including the 9 essential ones[12] adult bodies cannot produce.
    Thanks for sharing this info. I am going to order the chlorella.

Thread Information