Giggle is offline Female Member

How is this different than yoyo diets?I

Hi All -
    I've done a few bodybuilding shows, and each time I cut way down, the fat comes back. And it seems like it's faster, and with less deviation from the diet.

I've always heard that yoyo diets were bad - so is that basically what BBers do? Or do you think it makes a difference because we eat clean?

Can you share your experiences?
    Thanks

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    ive never cut as lean as u have to get to do a show (4-6%) but i have cut to 9%bf before and i went back up to 17.8%bf in the matter of about 4 months (LOL) but it was because i was tired of deprivation and said "screw it" LOL..

i havent noticed it being with less deviation but like i said i havent cut as low as necessary to compete.

i would speculate when u cut to competition levels of leanness, due to the fact that usually for most people these levels are not sustainable for very long this is why the fat comes back and comes back with a vengeance. i would also speculate it is easiest to gain fat at 4% (for men) than 8%.. and it probably gets harder to gain fat as u get fatter just like it gets harder to lose fat as u get leaner..

Yes, I have heard that research about easier to gain fat when you are very lean...but you also gain in lean muscle as well.
    I used to worry that the ups and downs of bodybuilding would affect me long after the shows were done, but my coach said we were only doing it with clean foods (well, mostly!).

I've found that in the two years after my last show, I'm still holding more fat than what I want.

So - I'm just curious about the rest of you who cut to low levels.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Just curious to what bf% ur at currently, where u would prefer to be, and what ur current diet looks like as well as how lean have u been (during contest time)???

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    How long did you diet for and do you remember what your dieting style and calorie restriction were at that time (how much under maintenance were you eating?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I haven't measured in a long time but I'm usually lean with arm veins, ab veins, and slight ab blocks showing.
    Now I only have traces of shoulder veins when I train, and no upper arm veins at all.

I was surely down to single digits by showtime but I didn't check. I've been in the bodpod many times and usually says 12-15% when I'm lean (but this wasn't near a show).

The longest I ever dieted for was when I did three shows in one year, so it was from April - September. Carb cycling seems to work great, and I've also used fat days/no fat days with almost no starchy carbs. Standard stuff with 6 small meals, high protein, lots veggies, and a sweet potato after the gym.
    I've never counted calories, my coach would up the cardio steadily every week or so.

I was thinking of starting a log but my pictures right now are pitiful!
    Oh well, I know it will help me in the long run.
    I will put my pics in it from a show, and my current ones, and maybe I can get a better idea about bf% then and now.
    Thanks!

Oh yes, my current diet - well, that's what I'm working on now.
    For now, low carb days (about 80gms) x 3, and then higher carb days (about 200gms) x 1 day.
    About 5 oz chicken, fish, tuna, or 8 egg whites per meal, and all the veggies I want (broccoli, green beans, salad, cauliflower), and about 1 T of oil or walnuts for most meals.

I weigh 142 or so, but I've lost a lot of muscle in the last year and I want IT BACK. So that's my goal.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Extended periods of time consuming less calories than your body requires can lead to metabolic damage. Essentially your BMR lowers meaning you can then eat fewer calories without gaining weight. If you aren't careful about slowly increasing calories following a long diet then your BMR can stay low and you will easily gain fat.

How long ago were your comps? You are 56 now?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Thanks BIB. I did try to come back very slowly, and of course, I'm older than the usual. Yes, 56. My last show was in Oct 2011. Powerlifting since then, so it's much easier in the diet department!

May I ask - who's the R.I.P. for?

Oh - nevermind. I saw the thread.
    That's very sad.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle
    Oh yes, my current diet - well, that's what I'm working on now.
    For now, low carb days (about 80gms) x 3, and then higher carb days (about 200gms) x 1 day.
    About 5 oz chicken, fish, tuna, or 8 egg whites per meal, and all the veggies I want (broccoli, green beans, salad, cauliflower), and about 1 T of oil or walnuts for most meals.

I weigh 142 or so, but I've lost a lot of muscle in the last year and I want IT BACK. So that's my goal.
    Curious to your current macro split and daily caloric intake!

I finally got brave and started a log in the Nutrition section.
    Thanks

Thread Information