kuilontli is offline Junior Member

Tired of trial and error when it comes to dieting...

So I've been hitting the gym for a while now, Ive seen some results but I am still having problems with the diet part. Mostly, because I have not been able to figure out the total number of calories I should ingest. I have tried several websites to figure that out, and the results are way off from each other.

Here is my info

Age 36
    Height 5'10
    Weight 200
    BF% 25 or so

Current workout
    Cardio 1 hr each day, 7 days a week
    Weights 45 min each day, 6 days a week

And now, some of the issues I have...
    Some of the websites Ive found say I should be eating around 2300 cal per day, some go as high as 3800 cal per day, all that is based on my stats and level of activity. There's a huge difference there, so what I do is just forget the diet all together and then I get mad because I don't see the results I could've achieved if I had an actual diet plan.

So, how can I actually find out the right amount of calories I should be consuming based on my stats and level of activity?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    K u have come to the right place! your frustration will end here provided u do what we tell you to do.

first off the best way to calculate ur rough maintenance cals is: (LBM x 15) which is

lean body mass x 15

lean body mass = total weight - fat weight

since ur 200lbs and 25%bf then

200 x .25 = 50 (lbs fat)

200 - 50 = 150 (lbs LBM)

LBM x 15 = 150 x 15 = 2250cals (rough maintenance)

from here u want to create a caloric deficit. but first lets make sure ur bf% is correct. look at these pics (Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean) and tell me which one most looks like u as far as how much fat youre carrying. also posting a pic would be very helpful and/or u could make an appt for a BOD POD (COSMED - BOD POD GS: Gold Standard Body Composition) which i would suggest doing at some point.

also read this:
    http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...1-cutting.html

Brazensol is offline Productive Member~ Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Here is a great place to start. Take your lean body mass (lbm) and multiply it by 15. In your case;

200 pounds minus 25% = 150 pounds lbm. times 15 = 2250 calories/day. This should, roughly, be what you need to consume to keep you at your current weight. But you want to lose weight so we have to remove some of those calories (your deficit). The more you remove the quicker the results but also might require more discipline on your part because of the hunger involved. Between 350 and 450 is a great place to start so you would be eating somewhere between 1900 to 1800 calories per day. A good way to divide this up is with a 40/40/20 macro nutrient split. 40% will go to protein, 40% to carbs and 20% to fats.

Log everything you eat and weigh yourself weekly to see how you are responding. You might need to do some minor tweaking to get it just right but this should get you started. And remember - the more lbm (muscle) you put on the more you get to eat! Also try to eat the majority of your carbs the meal before and the meal after you workout (weightlifting). Some say its a waste of time while others swear by it. It does seem to work for me so I do it. Also, if you can do your cardio first thing in the morning before you eat anything. This is called fasted cardio and it helps to utilize your fat stores for energy more efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    K u have come to the right place! your frustration will end here provided u do what we tell you to do.

first off the best way to calculate ur rough maintenance cals is: (LBM x 15) which is

lean body mass x 15

lean body mass = total weight - fat weight

since ur 200lbs and 25%bf then

200 x .25 = 50 (lbs fat)

200 - 50 = 150 (lbs LBM)

LBM x 15 = 150 x 15 = 2250cals (rough maintenance)

from here u want to create a caloric deficit. but first lets make sure ur bf% is correct. look at these pics (Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean) and tell me which one most looks like u as far as how much fat youre carrying. also posting a pic would be very helpful and/or u could make an appt for a BOD POD (COSMED - BOD POD GS: Gold Standard Body Composition) which i would suggest doing at some point.

also read this:
    http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...1-cutting.html
    You beat me to it... lol.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazensol View Post
    You beat me to it... lol.
    kwik on the draw!

Thanks

I am actually heading out to work but I will check the info and links provided.

I think I am eating a lot less than 2250 calories, and also eating the wrong macros.

I'm sure that somedays I only eat no more than 1200 cals. I am not anorexic or anything I just get too busy at work, and don't eat until 7pm. If I do eat at work, it'd be a couple of slices of pizza. So... high fat, carbs and few protein.

Just got some Whey protein (Now Foods, Whey Isolate) and hit the meat market for a bunch of meats, mostly chicken breast and extra lean ground beef.
    I'm going to start cooking meals for when I am work, once I figure out how all the daily macros.

I don't think I am anorexic, but on average I only get hungry around 6pm. I wake up around 5 or 6am each day.

Quick question...

Since people should eat based on what they want to achieve, is there anyway one of you can post a sample diet for cutting?
    Or a link perhaps...

I love to eat, but eating a healthy diet seems like a lot of food to hit the macros and that's when I give up, I am just not used to eating more than twice a day

Thanks again

Try these;

http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...%2A%2A%2A.html

http://forums.steroid.com/nutrition-...mple-diet.html

They should get you off to a good start. Calorieking and myfitnesspal will be major players in your diet also.

Brazensol;

Thanks for the reply. I have used MyFitnessPal and I like it. The only problem I have is that I can never figure out what my daily calorie intake should be. And, since healthy meals are usually not too high on calories the food I have to consume to meet my quota looks quite excessive.

I am still fighting the urge of eating a smaller amount of bad food vs a large healthy meal. I am not used to eat healthy, that's the problem.

You just need to sit down on the weekend (or any day off) and put together a diet that will work for you. A lot of us like to cook all our meals for the coming week a day off and just grab it and cook/reheat it. I do this with some things but I usually have the time to make my meals so I don't do it as much as some of the busier guys.

As for bad food vs. good food; it's just a habit you need to develope. After a short time it becomes second nature.

'myfitnesspal' is pretty good to keep track too you'll find everything in there.
    Remember
    You can only monitor what you measure. Good luck!

Thread Information