Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Want my Shoulders Back (and the rest of me too)

Giggle is offline Female Member
    I have but not lately - my hips are not very flexible, and I feel off balance.
    Maybe I should give it another try though. Thanks Major, I hadn't thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorPectorial View Post
    U tried sumo dead lift? ;-)

Back in Black - Thanks again. Tonight I only did flat bench. It's not HIIT tho, it's more powerlifting for the benches. Then I switch over to more bodybuilding style HIIT for the rest of the sets. I'm trying to improve strength AND size. I know - it's said you can't chase two goals, but because I'm somewhat undertrained, I hoped to make some improvements in both.I would do one. Once you've exhausted on movement there should be no need to repeat it. And, if you are following a HIIT style you should have exhausted it.[/QUOTE]

Did chest tonight;
    barbell BP - worked up to 115 x 3, then dropped back to 105 x 3 for 10 sets. (first time in a while that I didn't have to make a second drop in the middle; I did them all with 105 and didn't slow down much)
    Incline DB 30's x 4 for 2 sets, then a drop set. 30's x4, 20's x 6, 15's x a bunch! With RP, I lost count
    Incline flyes with 20's x 8, 3 sets.
    DB pullovers wth 30# x 10, 3 sets.
    Done!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle
    Back in Black - Thanks again. Tonight I only did flat bench. It's not HIIT tho, it's more powerlifting for the benches. Then I switch over to more bodybuilding style HIIT for the rest of the sets. I'm trying to improve strength AND size. I know - it's said you can't chase two goals, but because I'm somewhat undertrained, I hoped to make some improvements in both.

I would do one. Once you've exhausted on movement there should be no need to repeat it. And, if you are following a HIIT style you should have exhausted it.
    [/QUOTE]

I think you can improve both, it depends what you truly mean by strength. I don't do strength training per se but I aim to get stronger each session. I am more after hypertrophy but I keep my reps in the 6-10 range. Sounds like you may be a bigger range of reps?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

BIB - I wish I knew what would work best for me. I was a lot stronger and bigger about 1.5 years ago. I want to get back to that, or at least closer.
    So I work on strength first (low reps, even doubles and singles) and then progress to some sets for hypertrophy.
    Help me! Does one get stronger first, and then put on size...or does increased muscle mass lead to getting stronger??

When I left bodybuilding to try PL, I found I was crazy strong. I set the gym record for girls squats that first day when we were just testing. So size led to strength! Now...I don't know.

Anyway - I'm training consistently. And that I can control. I'm betting I will progress.

Legs today...MUCH better on my hip. Almost back to normal.
    Squats: 5 sets of 165 x 2, then slowed down and had to drop to 155 x 3 for the last 3 sets. No soreness, will go up next week.
    Leg press: up to 2 plates and a quarter on a side for the last set. Hard, but didn't even strain to get it.
    Stiff leg deads: 45 x 10, 55 x 10, and 65 x 10. Go up next week easy!
    Leg ext and standing calfs - felt good.Nothing to report.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    BIB - I wish I knew what would work best for me. I was a lot stronger and bigger about 1.5 years ago. I want to get back to that, or at least closer.
    So I work on strength first (low reps, even doubles and singles) and then progress to some sets for hypertrophy.
    Help me! Does one get stronger first, and then put on size...or does increased muscle mass lead to getting stronger??

When I left bodybuilding to try PL, I found I was crazy strong. I set the gym record for girls squats that first day when we were just testing. So size led to strength! Now...I don't know.

Anyway - I'm training consistently. And that I can control. I'm betting I will progress.
    Heavier weights generally build bigger muscles and bigger muscles generally lift heavier weights. But this is also dependant on the repetition range you use. If you want to focus solely on strength the you won't want to do many, if any, more than 5 reps per set. Obviously if you want hypertrophy you can lift anywhere in the 6-12 range (for the most part, higher for quads and maybe hams and calves). Does it make sense to do both in one workout? Maybe, but you may be selling yourself short on one or the other. You could cycle your training and run a pure strength routine for 8-12 weeks and then revert to pure hypertrophy. See How each of those work out. It may be, at the end of all that, that your combined strength/hypertrophy works better. We all have different routines, exercises and rep ranges that we think work best for us it's still a case of trial and error for some many, many years on.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

That sounds like a good idea, to do a long cycle of one, followed by a long cycle of the other. I will try that when I stall on this plan. Thank you!

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Legs today...MUCH better on my hip. Almost back to normal.
    Squats: 5 sets of 165 x 2, then slowed down and had to drop to 155 x 3 for the last 3 sets. No soreness, will go up next week.
    Leg press: up to 2 plates and a quarter on a side for the last set. Hard, but didn't even strain to get it.
    Stiff leg deads: 45 x 10, 55 x 10, and 65 x 10. Go up next week easy!
    Leg ext and standing calfs - felt good.Nothing to report.
    I too am empresses with your numbers! Got sore just reading 'em.

Thanks GGR! I'm a little sore myself. Especially calfs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    I too am empresses with your numbers! Got sore just reading 'em.

BP and shoulders:
    Flat bench - 115 x 1, for 8 sets
    Seated press with 30's x 10, 2 sets, then drop set (felt heavy and slow)
    Standing laterals with 15's x 8-10
    Leaning over rears with 30's x 10
    Standing front raises with 15's x 6
    The above I did in a circuit to work with a little less rest - felt good!

Had to take three days off from the gym, but I've started back on cardio and a renewed focus on losing the last of this weight.

Some of you know, but I've been a little lost since I lost my coach, nutritionist, and friend about a year ago. Tried to ignore the fact that I just plain miss his guidance and knowledge - but I feel like I'm floundering.
    Decided today to sign up with a new coach who will develop my plan - nutrition, training, cardio (sorry KelKel - but I gotta!) and will keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm very excited!!!!!! Eager to see where we are headed. The goals are the same - to lose a little more, and then to go into a growth phase.
    I (Still) want my shoulders back!
    Giggle

I completely understand the lost feeling. I am sure you found yourself a good one too! I am excited for you!!!!

What is the goal for this growth phase you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    Had to take three days off from the gym, but I've started back on cardio and a renewed focus on losing the last of this weight.

Some of you know, but I've been a little lost since I lost my coach, nutritionist, and friend about a year ago. Tried to ignore the fact that I just plain miss his guidance and knowledge - but I feel like I'm floundering.
    Decided today to sign up with a new coach who will develop my plan - nutrition, training, cardio (sorry KelKel - but I gotta!) and will keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm very excited!!!!!! Eager to see where we are headed. The goals are the same - to lose a little more, and then to go into a growth phase.
    I (Still) want my shoulders back!
    Giggle

Hi Girly -
    Thanks for checking in. How are you doing these days? Do you have a thread and I missed it?

My goal is to get back some of the size I lost in the last year or so. I'm a skinnier/fatter version of my usual. So I have to think long range - first lose down, and then try to gain back some muscle.
    Actually - I'm not unhappy with the scale weight, it's that I'm so fat AT this weight!

Did legs tonight - felt pretty good. Still trying to get to that intensity you boys talk about.
    First some powerlifting...
    Squats, 6 sets of 2 at 165. Did high bar tonight. I thought I'd be able to go up to 185 - but it just wasn't in me. Maybe next time.
    Focused on hypertrophy for the rest of the night...
    Hack squats with 25's x 8-10, 3 sets
    Stiff leg deadifts with 85#bb x 10, 3 hard sets
    Standing calves on 90#x 10 slow and 5 fast; 4 sets

Hi Girly -
    Thanks for checking in. How are you doing these days? Do you have a thread and I missed it?

My goal is to get back some of the size I lost in the last year or so. I'm a skinnier/fatter version of my usual. So I have to think long range - first lose down, and then try to gain back some muscle.
    Actually - I'm not unhappy with the scale weight, it's that I'm so fat AT this weight!
    We must be soul sisters!!! This is exactly how I feel now.

First day with the new training. It was challenging and went great! I'm going to do my powerlifting first, and then do the rest in a higher rep range for the goal of hypertrophy.
    Chest - Started with bench. Up to 8 sets of singles at 120.
    Flat twist presses with 20's, 30's, 30's, and drop set of 30's and 20's.
    Incline BB 4 sets of 8's. With only 10's on the bar - these kill me!
    Pushups - 3 sets of 20 (or so - I had trouble with this one)

Shoulders - Bent over rears with 20's x 20, for 3 sets
    BB front raises - 3 sets of 12 with 15# BB
    DB partial side laterals - 3 sets of 30! I could only do 20's and it was hard.

Abs - 4 sets of roman chair leg lifts and 4 sets of standing cable crunches (up to 110# - go up next time)
    Great day! Legs tomorrow....

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    A little bit of time and dedication you'll get right back to where you were.
    Java Man likes this.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Java Man is offline Known Troll

If you don't mind me giving my opinion on that question even though it wasn't directed at me, I believe size and strength cannot be separated. I've never seen a huge human who was not also strong but I have seen many people who are very strong but don't look huge. If its a chicken or egg question then imo you must get strong before you can get big. In my own experience, no matter what style of train ing I'm using if I'm getting stronger, I'm getting bigger. Once the strength is there you can switch your training using those heavier weights to induce hypertrophy. You have to keep rotating strength/hypertrophy periodically or you stop responding.
    Last edited by Java Man; 09-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Hi Java - That makes sense to me too. I am working hard on strength, so I hope we are right! It seems ;right that as I get stronger I can use heavier weights, which should lead to improvements in size as well.
    I am progressing - just slowly.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Java Man View Post
    If you don't mind me giving my opinion on that question even though it wasn't directed at me, I believe size and strength cannot be separated. I've never seen a huge human who was not also strong but I have seen many people who are very strong but don't look huge. If its a chicken or egg question then imo you must get strong before you can get big. In my own experience, no matter what style of train ing I'm using if I'm getting stronger, I'm getting bigger. Once the strength is there you can switch your training using those heavier weights to induce hypertrophy. You have to keep rotating strength/hypertrophy periodically or you stop responding.

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    A little bit of time and dedication you'll get right back to where you were.
    Thanks BG - I do have the dedication - I am not going to give up!

Training has been going great.
    Did back tonight. Intense and fairly quick. I ended up sweaty and tired - it was good.
    Meadows rows with 25#, 3 sets of 10.
    Cable rows 3 sets of 12, going up in weight. Last set was a drop
    BB rows with 45# bar. 3 sets of 10
    Close grip pull assisted ups with 70# - 2 sets to failure
    DB shrugs and hypers

Today was just catch-up.
    BP: Worked up to 120, and then started work sets. 10 sets of 115. Started with doubles, but only got 5 when it slowed down, and had to go down to singles.
    Barbell standing shoulder press. First time in a year or so I included these - and it showed! Only got to the bar plus 15's x 5.
    Calfs and Abs and I was done.

I've changed up my plan to start the week on Saturday so here goes. Still starting with primarily powerlifting stuff, and then switch to hypertrophy focus. I'm still making progress this way so I'm sticking to it.
    Actually - I finally can tell a difference in my legs, chest, and shoulders!! I can see it, also my weight belt is a teensy bit loose today.

Legs:
    Squats: worked up with triples 135, 155, 165, then singles 175, 185! usually I drop down for work sets, but these 185's felt so solid I stayed with them for 5 sets! MUCH better feel today - finally.
    Lying leg curls 3 sets moving up in weight, and then triple drop set for the work set.
    Standing BB stiffs with 85# for 3 sets of 10. Hard squeeze at the end of each rep.
    Leg press - sets of 10 with 3 second negatives, and then explode up. No lockout at the top. Only up to 2 plates, but these were hard.
    Smith squats, 2 sets of 10s.
    Leg extenseions on 50# hard squeeze at the tops.
    Excellent day. Hard to get up the stairs at the end!

I find your log very intriguing!!!

you have a weight belt/I never thought to buy one for myself although I don't consider myself a powerlifter by any stretch.
    you start your week on SATURDAY...very interesting approach!

so you started your week with leg day!!!

I've changed up my plan to start the week on Saturday so here goes. Still starting with primarily powerlifting stuff, and then switch to hypertrophy focus. I'm still making progress this way so I'm sticking to it.
    Actually - I finally can tell a difference in my legs, chest, and shoulders!! I can see it, also my weight belt is a teensy bit loose today.

Legs:
    Squats: worked up with triples 135, 155, 165, then singles 175, 185! usually I drop down for work sets, but these 185's felt so solid I stayed with them for 5 sets! MUCH better feel today - finally.
    Lying leg curls 3 sets moving up in weight, and then triple drop set for the work set.
    Standing BB stiffs with 85# for 3 sets of 10. Hard squeeze at the end of each rep.
    Leg press - sets of 10 with 3 second negatives, and then explode up. No lockout at the top. Only up to 2 plates, but these were hard.
    Smith squats, 2 sets of 10s.
    Leg extenseions on 50# hard squeeze at the tops.
    Excellent day. Hard to get up the stairs at the end!

bikeral is offline Life is only stressful if you care!
    Hi giggle. Looks like you are doing a great job. Keep at it.

Thanks GGR -
    I do use a belt on the top work sets. It's useful for "pushing" into on squats and deadlifts. I don't use it for anything else.
    I started thinking that I'm a lot more free on weekends and so busy at work lately during the week - so it made sense to start on Saturday!

I find your log very intriguing!!!

you have a weight belt/I never thought to buy one for myself although I don't consider myself a powerlifter by any stretch.
    you start your week on SATURDAY...very interesting approach!

so you started your week with leg day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bikeral View Post
    Hi giggle. Looks like you are doing a great job. Keep at it.
    Thank you sir!! Better this week - finally.

I DID IT!!
    Been working on deadlift for weeks and I finally got to 225#! I kept missing it, but tonight it just felt perfect. Not only that - but I got a triple at 225#.
    I'm so excited - I'm a bit leaner, just by working harder in the gym and making some changes to the diet.
    My new coach is wonderful! And taking me to where I need to go.

So - in addition to the triple, I did T bar rows, cable rows, BB rows, shrugs, and hypers. It was a great night.
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

Had a good week - weights went up and I'm perhaps a bit leaner. I really feel like I'm learning to be more intense in the gym. I know this - even on arm day yesterday, I was thoroughly spent at the end, and good and sweaty. They're sore already so I feel I did it right!

I DID IT!!
    Been working on deadlift for weeks and I finally got to 225#! I kept missing it, but tonight it just felt perfect. Not only that - but I got a triple at 225#.
    I'm so excited - I'm a bit leaner, just by working harder in the gym and making some changes to the diet.
    My new coach is wonderful! And taking me to where I need to go.

So - in addition to the triple, I did T bar rows, cable rows, BB rows, shrugs, and hypers. It was a great night.
    I wish you were in my gym to show my training partner that dead lift. Guy can incline bench 315 for 10 reps but gets stuck at 225 dead lifting.

Great job

Had a good week - weights went up and I'm perhaps a bit leaner. I really feel like I'm learning to be more intense in the gym. I know this - even on arm day yesterday, I was thoroughly spent at the end, and good and sweaty. They're sore already so I feel I did it right!
    Yes you did!

I will consider myself accomplished when I throw up on leg day Lol
    Giggle likes this.

Thanks Al! You made my day. I've been told I have long arms, so DL is much easier than benching. I went up to 235 today, but ran out of steam after that.

I wish you were in my gym to show my training partner that dead lift. Guy can incline bench 315 for 10 reps but gets stuck at 225 dead lifting.

Great job

I had one coach for a long while - he was so hardcore I always had to make sure there was a trashcan nearby!

Yes you did!

I will consider myself accomplished when I throw up on leg day Lol
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

Today was great - back feels tight already by bedtime.
    Deads up to 235, then dropped back to 225 for 4 sets of singles.
    T bar rows, single arm, with 25# 3 sets of 12.
    Cable rows, 3 sets of 12, with triple drop at the end.
    BB rows, 55# 3 sets of 8-10.
    DB shrugs with 45's, 2 sets to failure.
    Hyperextensions, 2 drop sets, start with 25#, go to failure, then drop to 15#, go to failure, then no weight and go to failure for the last time.
    Hard day, but only in a good way!
    GirlyGymRat likes this.

you must still be at the gym

I was watching womens crossfit clean and press last night and thought Giggle should be in that soon.

I think the winner did 245lbs. Amazing.

maybe she WAS competing last night

I was watching womens crossfit clean and press last night and thought Giggle should be in that soon.

Oh wow - that's wonderful! 245?? Sheee-it! That's one strong girl.

maybe she WAS competing last night
    Haha - not me. Was it you GGR??

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information