tek_civic is offline New Member

Cheap "hardgainer" diet. Not a great cook

So i am a typical "im a hardgainer" type, but i do recognize that my diet is a large large contributor of my slow or nonexistent gain.

So i am getting back into lifting, already back actually, but i really need to get ahead of my own overthinking and solidify good diet habits. I am on a limited income right now, well good income, im just spending most money paying down debts, school etc. So these diets need to be as bare as they can, i really dont mind bland food.

Also, im not a great chef. So please include basic instructions when needed.

My basic idea is this

Whey protein powder
    Multi vitamin
    Multi amino acid-vitamin (only because i have them and should use them up)
    Taurine (again already have so not wasting)
    Creatine monohydrate (already have, should i use?)

what i actually eat now
    beef, lean chunk steak
    eggs, 3 per meal about, 1-2 times a day
    subway or other not good lunch, work on the road so this needs to change
    nuts (sunflower, pumpkin, etc mix, unsalted)

what i think will help (please add)
    2% milk (lowest i can go and drink)
    Eggs and more eggs
    chicken
    spinach salads
    various berries
    carrots

ive been doing low carb (paleo ish) and i do feel better, but think it was more other changes at the time (adding more veggies and fruits)

Basically tell me, please, what a good bare bones diet would be.

My activity level:
    I do direct sales, door to door (not knocking every door, targeted, much walking) with a pedometer i hit about 8-18k steps a day. I lift every other day, so 5 sometimes 4 a week.

I am 6'2 weigh between 155 and 160. Yeah pretty thin. Ofc very low body fat, but not sure the %.

Anyway if you read this much, i sincerely thank you. Add a little advice and you are truly generous.
    During my peak in lifting, over about a year of good regiment i was about 171, but a lot of water i believe. so still not much progress.

arnold84 is offline New Member
    get the cals in if your a hard gainer, that means higher calorie protein sources. mince steak (not lean) natural peanut butter in shakes to help bump your cals. whole milk not 2% like you've stated etc etc

Giggle is offline Female Member
    Do you know how many calories you are currently getting? I'd figure that out, and then start by adding 500 per day. If that doesn't work, add another 250, until you slowly start to gain. It may take more.
    Now, about foods - I'd say buy in bulk, and shop the sales. You need to find all the reasonably priced beef, eggs, and chicken you can get and freeze. Figure out when the stores near you put meat and milk on sale. Whole milk, as stated above. Also, tuna and cottage cheese can help if you like them.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I think you need to eat like a maniac. That door to door thing burns tons of cals so you need to compensate for that. Fruits and vegies may be healthy but they are not ideal for weight gain. You need to start snacking on chicken and beef throughout the day. Once you learn to eat properly you will see your weight go up drastically. Eat every 2 hours or less.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Buy a bag of potatoes and rice, get some carbs in ya. Fats also.
    Just start eating, I wish I was an ectomorph :/ I look at food and I gain weight

Thread Information