ShredMN is offline Banned

Protein before bed?

I've always heard that you should take a slow digesting protein source before you go to bed, but I read an article by Kris Gethin that said otherwise. He was basically saying that by not eating anything (even protein) two hours before bed, your body will release more growth hormones during sleep. Is there any truth to this? Is taking a protein source before bed absolutely essential to maximize gains?

Wazz is offline Associate Member
    I take casein protien for overnight. Aside from morning (fasted) cardio that's well proven to have effect, I try to avoid every new claim. This may or may not be true (the stop eating 2 hours prior), however I'd really like to read up solid research on it. Even then I'd be too damn hungry to do this!

If I'm bulking I'm eating, I even eat something if I wake at 3am. Maybe I'll chug a shake, or I'll eat a handful of almonds & wash it down w/ a small cup of milk-----

I really don't know how "essential" this method would be. If it was that big I figure I'd probably be on it. I'll watch this for updates. Never know?

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A lot of recent disagreement on benefits of casein protein. I only drink BCAAs before bed now. If you're eating enough throughout the day, a slow digesting protein before bed isn't essential and you won't go catabolic (unless you aren't eating enough calories throughout the day). At night, your body will (should) use glycogen for energy - hence the purported benefits of fasted cardio (i.e. you've depleted glycogen stores at night and will use fat for energy during fasted cardio).

Most shakes are largely crap. Great marketing, but not very beneficial.

LT75 is offline Associate Member
    Depends on the person. I'd say for elite athletes and people with next to no body fat it's necessary for a before bed shake. Like stated above, you burn glycogen then fat. If there is no fat, then you burn muscle. Which you don't want.

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    i occassionally would have 2 oz (a bite) of lean steak before bed when i was cutting. i do not on maintenance cuz i eat enuff thru the day.

MickeyKnox is offline Banned
    Cottage cheese for me before bed (sometimes a casein protein shake)

t-dogg is offline Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Ive played around with this, and honestly never seen a big difference.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    well u can take said things before bed, but if the have any carb source that spikes your blood sugar level when you fall asleep and that GH pulse that is release 90 minutes into REM, could chance you wont reap its benefits if your blood sugar level isn't stable.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    im looking at not eating any more , shake, casein in teh form of cottage cheese or even my powered greens 2 hours before my bed time. So far i think im seeing an improvement over having something before bed. Each to their own thou.

supernatural28 is offline Junior Member
    If you keep eating protein right before bed. You will eventually mess up your digestive system..No food 2 or 2.5 before bed. Don't worry you wont go catabolic.. Most people wont feel hungry in the morning if they ate before bed..you might as well eat a larger breakfast then eating a meal before bed..your digestive system is lazier at night and your body won't able to absorb all the nutrients.. I'm talking from my knowledge and experience. It is up to the individual..
    Last edited by supernatural28; 10-30-2012 at 07:17 PM.

JackedJesse is offline Junior Member
    There is NO DIET or EXERCISE that will increase growth hormone levels to make any anabolic difference whatsoever. The only thing that will increase your growth hormone levels to make a difference is EXOGENOUS GROWTH HORMONE (and a few ancilliaries).

BIGTIMEPUSH is offline Associate Member
    I can eat all day, and still be starving at night. I always eat a protein before bed about 30min to an hour before. And when I wake up I'm F***ING starving, almost have stomach pain from being soo hungry. I don't think I could actually go without my late night meal and or protein shake and comfortably go to sleep. Maybe this just me...

Thread Information