Kurthero is offline New Member

matalic taste/ strong ammonia smell

usually happens after a hard workout or a very long run.

ill come home to shower and will smell a heavy scent of ammonia, to the point where ill take breath holds. it will subside usually after a PWO meal.

i have googled the question and the answers seem to be a little all over the place, but the majority say its due to a lack of nutrition (some say protein, others carbs.) This is also why ive placed this post in the nutrition forum.

27yo
    6'3
    210 lbs
    10-12%bf

usually intake close to my body weight in grams of protein.

could use a good answer and advise. ive been trying to drop BF% to single digits, and this seems to be having an effect on the taste/smell.

thanks guys.
    -Kurt

wondering if anyone here has a simular

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Several possible factors could cause these symptoms. Are you experiencing any gastrointestinal problems or recent changes in digestion or bowel movements? Any changes in respiration patterns? Any supplements or medications you are currently using? Nutrition may contribute to this, however, there are other possible causes.

Any further info you can provide would be helpful.

well, bowel movements absolutely. im deployed and recently came from a "black site" to a larger base. the food was extremely poor. (goat, fried food, starches, no greens) and has since became better ( whole foods, chicken, greens) maybe this is a cause, but ive had the taste/smell for awhile now.
    the supplements i take are BCAAs and Whey, with a muti at night.
    some days worse than others. im assuming its a lack of carbs or fats but wondering other experiences.
    thanks
    -kurt

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurthero
    well, bowel movements absolutely. im deployed and recently came from a "black site" to a larger base. the food was extremely poor. (goat, fried food, starches, no greens) and has since became better ( whole foods, chicken, greens) maybe this is a cause, but ive had the taste/smell for awhile now.
    the supplements i take are BCAAs and Whey, with a muti at night.
    some days worse than others. im assuming its a lack of carbs or fats but wondering other experiences.
    thanks
    -kurt
    I'd recommend getting some blood work done to test for H pylori. The balance of healthy stomach flora can be upset by changes in diet especially if you were deployed to an area where the food and/or preparation is vastly different from what you are more accustomed to. Changes to stomach flora (intestinal bacteria) can result in a range of unpleasant events in digestion, elimination, and even mouth odors.

A blood test will usually be the first step in diagnosing H pylori. Subsequent tests may be necessary to examine eliminated contents (fecal matter).

ok, MI. i appreciate the advice and will go get some BW done when i hit the state.
    thanks again.
    -Kurt

Thread Information