Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gbrice75

Thread: refeeds

adrenaline99 is offline Associate Member

refeeds

At what bodyfat generally does refeeding become beneficial? Is it ever a good idea for someome who is say 19-20% to refeed every 2 or so weeks at a deficit of around 500?

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    A refeed can also be necessary when glycogen and carb levels are down and have been down for a while, it's not solely about body fat percentages. Having said that, at 19-20% there's not much need for a refeed unless you're going super low carb or keto. Your hormonal response to dieting at this BF is not attempting to reverse what you're trying to accomplish so the refeed would only be beneficial psychologically, again assuming you're not super low carb/keto.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    A refeed can also be necessary when glycogen and carb levels are down and have been down for a while, it's not solely about body fat percentages. Having said that, at 19-20% there's not much need for a refeed unless you're going super low carb or keto.
    Personally, I would only recommend a (carb) refeed after several consecutive days of very low ( < 50g) / no (starchy) carbs at all, regardless of BF%. If somebody is consuming for example 150g carbs/day, even at a low BF%, what are they really refeeding? Glycogen stores won't be depleted; the dieter would only be 'topping them off' with a refeed.
    Docd187123 likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Personally, I would only recommend a (carb) refeed after several consecutive days of very low ( < 50g) / no (starchy) carbs at all, regardless of BF%. If somebody is consuming for example 150g carbs/day, even at a low BF%, what are they really refeeding? Glycogen stores won't be depleted; the dieter would only be 'topping them off' with a refeed.
    You make excellent points GB and I should have worded my response more carefully. I guess it depends on what your definition or each persons definition of a refeed is.

Even with a relatively moderate carb intake though, leptin levels can drop, ghrelin levels can increase, and T4 uptake by the liver as well as T4 conversion into T3 can be hindered from simple calorie restriction. Small deficits won't do this to the same degree large restrictions would and the longer you're restricting calories below bodily needs the greater the effect.

Also, the leaner one is the harder it is to mobilize fatty acids for oxidation bc of the hormonal response to dieting. Carbs affect this to some degree but even in the presence of carbs we know the leaner you get the harder it is get get more lean. A refeed (not necessarily carbs in this instance) can help slow this response. Maybe it's better termed "over feeding"???

adrenaline99 is offline Associate Member
    So a guy at 5'9'' 185 roughly 20% bf cutting on 2100 calories and 150 carbs should not ever worry about incorporating a refeed?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    You make excellent points GB and I should have worded my response more carefully. I guess it depends on what your definition or each persons definition of a refeed is.

Even with a relatively moderate carb intake though, leptin levels can drop, ghrelin levels can increase, and T4 uptake by the liver as well as T4 conversion into T3 can be hindered from simple calorie restriction. Small deficits won't do this to the same degree large restrictions would and the longer you're restricting calories below bodily needs the greater the effect.

Also, the leaner one is the harder it is to mobilize fatty acids for oxidation bc of the hormonal response to dieting. Carbs affect this to some degree but even in the presence of carbs we know the leaner you get the harder it is get get more lean. A refeed (not necessarily carbs in this instance) can help slow this response. Maybe it's better termed "over feeding"???
    You're right doc. We don't want to confuse people - there are carb refeeds, and there are purposeful caloric overages (not necessarily restricted to the carbohydrate macronutrient). When I talk about refeeds, I refer specifically to carb refeeds as personally, I have no need to cycle the other 2 (deloading etc. aside).

When eating a hypocaloric diet, regardless of carb intake, I *do* agree a 'refeed' (i.e. caloric overage in this case) every 7-14 days can be beneficial, particularly for those who are already lean (< 10%).

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline99 View Post
    So a guy at 5'9'' 185 roughly 20% bf cutting on 2100 calories and 150 carbs should not ever worry about incorporating a refeed?
    @150g carbs a day, you don't need a carb refeed specifically. However, you may want to incorporate a higher calorie day once every 7-14 days. If you want the caloric increase to come by way of increased carbs on that day, go for it - that's completely up to the dieter.

Thread Information