redrock is offline Member

Question Only 40g of protein per day to build muscle?

I am taking this exercise physiology class in college and my professor was an intern at purdue and is now the strength coach at my school. He is also an ACSM certified trainer. He says a person of my size, 6'2", 230lbs. only needs roughly 40-50g of protein a day to build muscle. He says if I am taking more, it's just getting wasted.

How can this be true? I know we hear a lot that it should be around 1 gram per lb. of bodyweight. Can someone help me out on this. I am trying to stay low carb because I am around 30% bf right now. I am confused. I am so confused on whether all the protein is going to waste and if I should be calorie counting on my diet or not. Help, REDROCK

J-F
    J-F is offline Associate Member
    wtf!
    at your wheight you need around 80g protein to maintain (230 * 0.4)
    to build muscle you need 0.9 - 1.0 g per Body mass to build muscle...
    alos, as your on low carb diet, you can't keep low carb and low protein, you won't live old...!

keep the carb low, take around 200-210g protein per day and take alot of good fats, do cardio , mixed with a good lifting program...

also, remeber to not have a too high calorie deficit per day, 500 cals deficit per day is perfect...and drink alot of watter...

you really need more protein!!

40g!!! wtf!

my two cents...
    ciao

40-50g of protein per day???

I dunno bro... sure as heck goes against just about everything I ever read about building muscle.

I try to stay between 1 (natural) and 2g (on cycle) per body lbs per day spread out in 5-6 meals and keep my carbs low (but not keto low). Being 225-230 lbs, that means around 450g of protein per day (I'm on now).

Red

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    40 grams a DAY

I brush my teeth with 25 grams of protein in the morning.
    Anywhere between 1 to 2.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight a day.

dangit is offline Member
    I found out by being super anal and counting every calorie last year when dieting for a show that I start to loose weight when my calories go under 2800.

Now if you only need 40-50g of protein... 50gx4=200calories, then what the hell would you eat to make up for the rest of the calories. On top of that, if you're trying to loose weight, then I'm assuming you're trying to keep your carbs down to or under 200g per day... 200gx4=800calories.

This would mean that I'd have to eat a whole lot of fat to keep my calories around 2400 since I found that I need at least this much to be sane. I'm only 5.6" and was 160-170lbs last year when I was counting my calories.

If you lower your calories too much, then your body will kick into starvation mode and your metabolism will scream to a halt. I always crank my protein intake up when trying to loose fat. Take in between 1 and 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

The protein won't go to waste. It'll help you from loosing any muscle mass when your lowering your calorie intake. If you do injest too much, then an extra trip to the crapper is all that's needed to get rid of it.

J-F
    hey guys , ive read form a sure source that taking more than 0.9 g protein per BM has no effect on body, the scientis saids that any protein intake more than 0.9g per day while training will be unused...

ill try to find the article for u guys....
    what do u think about it?

halifaxsteve is offline Member
    i think i'd like to see that article

dangit is offline Member
    Alot of those articles are based on normal people and not those with larger than normal muscle mass. I'm wondering also if they ever did test on people that are on steroids too. You're body needs alot more fuel when on using them.

I've also calculated my determined bodyweight that scientist think is optumum for me given my height and age and it comes out as me being overly obese... but I can see my abs very clearly

I'm sure that injesting 1.5g of protein per lbs of bodyweight is overdoing it a bit, but you need to take in more than you use if you want to grow. And if you're dieting hard, then to keep muscle mass, it's a real must.

I've got that calculator for totalling up the amount of calories, protein and all that in a spreadsheet I made. I'm going to have to whip it back up and look. I remember it being way off from what I'm doing and didn't bother with it.

dangit is offline Member
    I was thinking about another thing... I wonder if these scientist made did the test on people that only ate 3 square meals a day. At that amount you'd have to eat a great deal of protein in one sitting and it's going to go to waste. I eat 6-7 meals a day. I would assume that my body is a bit more effecient because of this and stay in an anabolic state too.

pumpseeker is offline Senior Member
    You gonna believe some pencilneck professor or thousands of real world bodybuilders?

Come on, I'm roughly the same size guy as you and I'm eating 450 grams of protein a day.... it's not going to waste either as I'm staying lean as hell and getting much bigger...

You have to EAT BIG to GET BIG...rule #1

and another thing...

I'm well educated myself (graduated cum laude from a State University with a BS in Finance) and I respect well educated minds...

but if he ain't living it he don't have a clue bro

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member

Re: and another thing...

Originally posted by pumpseeker
    I'm well educated myself (graduated cum laude from a State University with a BS in Finance) and I respect well educated minds...

but if he ain't living it he don't have a clue bro
    VERY much agreed.

Pain

meathead84 is offline Associate Member
    Im another finance major graduating in december, but i know from my nutrtion classes that 50mg is the bare minimum that the average individual needs to prevent deficiency, as yuo would guess we are far from average people so we need above average amounts of protien and cals to grow

Nico is offline Associate Member
    That prof. is an idiot....

J-F
    hey guys, ive found the article...
    here's a link : http://www.nutricise.com/servlet/art...gth/20427.html

anyway that kind of article will not make me change my diet but...

ciao

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    Yes Redrock I will agree with you 40 to 50 grams a day would be excellent for a 105 lb Librarian! Go ahead and try telling this to powerlifters and Bodybuilders, but they may look at you a little funny and laugh.

fatboy2003 is offline New Member
    I lose fat like crazy, when I lower my carb intake, the only problem is I seem to lose LBM too. I cant seem to keep my carbs down and my protein? Do you really think 1g of protein per pound would work better?
    I want to cycle but not til I drop some fat?

redrock is offline Member
    I was very skeptical when he told me this, but wanted to get other opinions. He is very knowledgable but we clash on ideas about protein intake and stuff like that. I am characteristically an endomorph so I told him I thought I was carb sensative and he told me it's bullshit. He said I should be eating more than 200g of carbs a day while cutting.

I guess it's just typical of the fitness industry, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different opinions. REDROCK

Originally posted by redrock
    I was very skeptical when he told me this, but wanted to get other opinions. He is very knowledgable but we clash on ideas about protein intake and stuff like that. I am characteristically an endomorph so I told him I thought I was carb sensative and he told me it's bullshit. He said I should be eating more than 200g of carbs a day while cutting.

I guess it's just typical of the fitness industry, ask 10 people and you will get 10 different opinions. REDROCK
    This professor sounds like a classic case of an ignorant know it all.

In the financial industry, it's hard to tell who knows their shit and who is talking out of their ass. Everyone is paid to have an opinion, regardless of how accurate it is. There's no way to guage if they even know what they're talking about.

In bodybuilding, it's so easy to tell the people who know their shit because a bodybuilder's knowledge is displayed on his/her physique. I doubt this professor even has a good physique himself, yet he somehow knows the secret of building muscle and cutting BF?

Thread Information