Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gbrice75
  • 1 Post By Money Talks
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: Post Workout Nutrition

theRZA is offline Junior Member

Post Workout Nutrition

There's tons of information about this topic, and I'm aware it's sort of a tired subject however there are a few schools of thought and want to know your thoughts on a few things;

If you're consuming about 300g of carbs per day, is there really that much of a need for postworkout carbs? I'm currently bulking at about +15% maintenance right now, and I've been taking in 40g whey, and 50g dextrose post workout and I'm starting to question whether or not this is optimal?

I know this varies across individual preference but is there any added benefit of these extra carbs? or would cutting them out minimize fat gain on my bulk?

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Makes no difference at all. It's all based on how you feel. Does the PWO make you feel better and fit your Macros? If Yes, then eat (drink) them, if not, don't.

Thanks
    ~T

"I stay mostly by myself, but it's OK, they know me here"
    Follow my personal story here: Anabolic Steroids - Steroid.com Forums - An honest journey - Blogs

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by theRZA View Post
    There's tons of information about this topic, and I'm aware it's sort of a tired subject however there are a few schools of thought and want to know your thoughts on a few things;

If you're consuming about 300g of carbs per day, is there really that much of a need for postworkout carbs? I'm currently bulking at about +15% maintenance right now, and I've been taking in 40g whey, and 50g dextrose post workout and I'm starting to question whether or not this is optimal?

I know this varies across individual preference but is there any added benefit of these extra carbs? or would cutting them out minimize fat gain on my bulk?
    Why are you considering these "extra carbs"? You have them fit into your 300g/day, right? I'm not clear on your question. If the question is "do I need 250g or 300g carbs, that's something only you'd know". If the question is "is it optimal to localize the bulk of carbs around my workout window (which, at 50g PWO it doesn't appear you're doing anyway)", it depends on who you ask - but that's what I like doing.

The real question here is why dextrose!?

Beethoven is offline Productive Member
    I like the pwo shake. It almost feels like a cheat because it tastes so good. You do have to count your macros though.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Why are you considering these "extra carbs"? You have them fit into your 300g/day, right? I'm not clear on your question. If the question is "do I need 250g or 300g carbs, that's something only you'd know". If the question is "is it optimal to localize the bulk of carbs around my workout window (which, at 50g PWO it doesn't appear you're doing anyway)", it depends on who you ask - but that's what I like doing.

The real question here is why dextrose!?
    I'm saying, is there any added benefit to having 250g of carbs throughout the day, and 50g of carbs pwo. Compared to just 300g throughout the day, with just some whey pwo.

Also, I just always assumed Dextrose was the carb of choice pwo, do you have any other recommendations?? I'm not the biggest fan of it anyway if you couldn't already tell.

Quote Originally Posted by theRZA

I'm saying, is there any added benefit to having 250g of carbs throughout the day, and 50g of carbs pwo. Compared to just 300g throughout the day, with just some whey pwo.

Also, I just always assumed Dextrose was the carb of choice pwo, do you have any other recommendations?? I'm not the biggest fan of it anyway if you couldn't already tell.
    No difference IMO, especially if you're eating a good pre workout meal. Boils down to a matter of preference.

Re: dextrose - blech, I see no point in purposefully eating sugar, I don't care what magazines and Internet forums say. Any good carb source will do - simple + complex has always been a favorite of mine. Oats and a banana, perfect!
    Beethoven and theRZA like this.

Money Talks is offline Junior Member

I personally have never believed in adding sugars (dextrose) to my post workout protein shakes. With the milk and protein powder in my shakes there are already 34 grams of carbohydrates. I'm not convinced that adding sugar would give any added benefit, however I have read that it is probably more beneficial if you are using exogenous insulin . If I was to consume carbs post workout, I would probably eat a banana so that I get the added benefits of the natural fiber.
    gbrice75 likes this.

If milk doesn't agree with me, would 30g of Whey (minimal carbs) and a banana suffice, Or should I add in more carbs?

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    If milk doesn't agree with me, would 30g of Whey (minimal carbs) and a banana suffice, Or should I add in more carbs?
    Almond Milk maybe? This is nitpicking stuff and unless your going to compete in the Olympic it will make no difference in the long run!

Thanks
    ~T

Follow my personal story here: Anabolic Steroids - Steroid.com Forums - An honest journey - Blogs
    gbrice75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Almond Milk maybe? This is nitpicking stuff and unless your going to compete in the Olympic it will make no difference in the long run!

Thanks
    ~T

^^ agreed. Unless you're stepping on stage in a few months, this is really all just trivial little tweaks that will probably make no appreciable difference. Hit your macros every day, be consistent and disciplined, and you will realize your potential and goals. It really is that simple.

Thread Information