ANIMAL is offline Associate Member

Complex carbs or Proteins causing bloat/gas during bulk?

Has anyone ever experienced or studied any digestive problems with eating too many complex carbs? Or could my issue be too much protein?

I have no dairy, no soy, no gluten in my diet. I've been eating this way for years, never had any issues. Have been using the same protein powder that is also free of all soy/dairy and gluten for 3 years with no issues as well. The only changes I did was I upped my calories as I am on cycle.

I'm 5'5, 180 lbs. taking in 3,000 calories.

320g carbs
    280g protein
    70g fat

All of my carbs come from the following: oats, brown or white rice, red or sweet potato. I have spinach or string beans with all meals but do not count those calories.

Protein sources come from chicken or ground turkey, only have 1 whole egg in the mornings with a protein shake and oats and I have a protein shake with oats post workout.

My fat sources come from EVOO, eggs.

Before I started my cycle, I was eating roughly 220-240g protein, roughly 280g carbs and roughly 50g fat and I was 168 lbs.

Before I start taking 20g off this and adding 20g of that I wanted to see what anyone else thought. I currently take GUT Health Probiotic and was thinking of picking up BEANO. I drink over 1 gallon of water/day and take vitamins. Was also thinking of picking up a digestive enzyme and betaine HCL, but it sounds like a lot.

Does this just come with the territory of bulking? I've always stayed pretty lean, sub 10% BF and made very slow gains with weight. This is the first time on a cycle that I'm eating over 500 of my maintenance, I'd like to eat more but sometimes I'm not even motivated because it's uncomfortable to move.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by ANIMAL; 01-24-2014 at 04:04 PM.

mattypie is offline New Member
    Is it your first cycle?

One thing to consider is the way you cook your foods. This is not the case for everyone i'm sure, but if I over cook foods (burn meats, burn veggies while stir frying) I get gas once I ate them.

Other than that..it usually is a short term effect of bulking until your body gets used to it.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Your body just needs to adjust to the increased fiber intake. Taking a digestive enzyme supp with each meal should help a lot.

ANIMAL is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattypie View Post
    Is it your first cycle?

One thing to consider is the way you cook your foods. This is not the case for everyone i'm sure, but if I over cook foods (burn meats, burn veggies while stir frying) I get gas once I ate them.

Other than that..it usually is a short term effect of bulking until your body gets used to it.
    No this is not my first cycle and I have no issues with my food prior to upping my calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    Your body just needs to adjust to the increased fiber intake. Taking a digestive enzyme supp with each meal should help a lot.
    I hear you on that, but it's going on week 9, you'd think my body would have adjusted by now.

Thread Information