Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: oats or waxy maize post workout

ickythump is offline Member

oats or waxy maize post workout

Are oats absorbed fast enough to be useful as a post workout carb source, or do I need to get something quicker....thanks for any help!

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ickythump
    Are oats absorbed fast enough to be useful as a post workout carb source, or do I need to get something quicker....thanks for any help!
    I use oats all the time, for me PWO has been cooked oats, whey and blueberries. Depending on your goals but I find oats are better. They won't raise blood sugar levels as much.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    absorbed fast enuff to be useful for what??

APM
    APM is offline Associate Member
    Gatorade immediately post workout

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Quote Originally Posted by APM
    Care to explain?

FRDave is offline Senior Member
    Oats is my go to carb source regardless of time of day.

To spike insulin , which I'm not thinking is as important as I've been lead to believe...what are all your thoughts on carbs post wo?

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ickythump View Post
    To spike insulin, which I'm not thinking is as important as I've been lead to believe...what are all your thoughts on carbs post wo?
    try to keep it simple man. i dont know about you but i have micro-managed my diet in the past to a fault. it has done me no good.

the biggest factor (IMO) is cals in vs cals out... carbs can make u fatter and leaner depending how u do with them and how many u consume.

make sure ur getting enuff protein. (1-1.5g per pound LEAN MASS)

keeping good dietary fats and a healthy amount of fiber has also proven well for me. i try to keep either fats or carbs dominant daily and shy away from having a large abundance of both in the same day.

i concentrate most of my carbs PWO though. immediately PWO (within 2 hours).. not to take advantage of a closing anabolic window per se, but more so because it seems to me the most logical time my body would make good use of them repairing and replacing what ive spent during training.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by APM View Post
    We should sticky this as how not to give advice!

Thanks
    ~T

Follow my personal story here on this blog: An honest journey
    Trophy Husband - a countdown timer

ickythump likes this.

I more or less don't micro manage, however I also keep carbs and fats relatively far apart, whole days during summer (cuts) but thru fall and winter just meals apart, not many carbs besides fibrous on non lifting days.....one thing I don't believe in is the "anabolic window" I have read plenty of studies on weight lifters suggesting it's open for 24_48 hrs, but I did still think that fast carbs are important after a workout, but two studies also on right lifters I saw paraphrased yesterday after posting this showed that fast quality protein was what you really need, bulking like now I'll have oats before and after w.o. but I'm second guessing the insulin spike, these seemed to have a wide range of test subjects in a healthy state with protein, protein/slow carb, protein/fast carb and it made no difference, protein was enough, I'd eliminate all the fruits and such in my post wo shake on upcoming cut...

Tl:dr....are carbs omnipotent after workout? Or can they be left out, unless it's how you fill your macros anyhow

Thread Information