Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Docd187123
  • 1 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By DrewZ
  • 1 Post By kronik420

Thread: Strange advice from a personoal trainer?

goatofthunder is offline Junior Member

Strange advice from a personoal trainer?

Hi guys.

i´m currently cutting and recently hired a friend of mine as a personal trainar. He has won 6 bodybuilding titles and there fore is bound to know what he´s talking about. I´ve cut twice successfully by using a completely different approach then he suggests, that is, 2-3 meals a day, very low carb and that has worked for me in the past. I used to think that all this 6-8 meals a day with lot´s of carbs instead of fat was outdated and people didn´t pursue this kind of diet any more, am i missing something? This guy advices me to eat 8 times a day, with chicken breasts, beef, fish, oat meal, brown rice and sweet potatoes as the bulk of the diet, along with a shitload of supplements. I decided to go a head and try this even though i was skeptical. He has a also a very different approach to training, 6 day split with lots of volume and high reps. This is again very different then what I´m use to doing, which is heavy weights and 4-12 reps, with a lot less volume training 3-4 times a week. I have also recently started a very physical job, which of course should help in the fat burning department.

I am seeing great results from this so far!! I feel I´m gaining muscles and loosing fat at the same time, I´m seeing my 6 pack again, alot sooner then i expected.

I know I´ts impossible to for you guys to pin point what it is that´s working, this new diet and meal frecuency, new job, more "good" carbs or simply higher volume training. I would really appreciate some discussion on this....

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    if it works then stick with it...

Reiid13 is offline Member
    The high reps low volume thing I heard Elliott Hulse talking about it , I can't remember what the style of workout is called ( warrior training ? ) .... As for the 8 meal a day thing make sure your calorie intake is right for what you want to achieve , you don't want to eat 10,000 calories a day . Calculate your Tdee then add the calories you need. Different things work for different people , I couldn't find the time in the day to eat 8 meals so I'd stick to 3 a day .... But hey if it works for you it works...

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goatofthunder View Post
    Hi guys.

i´m currently cutting and recently hired a friend of mine as a personal trainar. He has won 6 bodybuilding titles and there fore is bound to know what he´s talking about. I´ve cut twice successfully by using a completely different approach then he suggests, that is, 2-3 meals a day, very low carb and that has worked for me in the past. I used to think that all this 6-8 meals a day with lot´s of carbs instead of fat was outdated and people didn´t pursue this kind of diet any more, am i missing something? This guy advices me to eat 8 times a day, with chicken breasts, beef, fish, oat meal, brown rice and sweet potatoes as the bulk of the diet, along with a shitload of supplements. I decided to go a head and try this even though i was skeptical. He has a also a very different approach to training, 6 day split with lots of volume and high reps. This is again very different then what I´m use to doing, which is heavy weights and 4-12 reps, with a lot less volume training 3-4 times a week. I have also recently started a very physical job, which of course should help in the fat burning department.

I am seeing great results from this so far!! I feel I´m gaining muscles and loosing fat at the same time, I´m seeing my 6 pack again, alot sooner then i expected.

I know I´ts impossible to for you guys to pin point what it is that´s working, this new diet and meal frecuency, new job, more "good" carbs or simply higher volume training. I would really appreciate some discussion on this....
    Meal timing and frequency is a function of PERSONAL PREFERENCE. The only effect it has on body composition is an indirect effect (namely it can affect the intensity of your training performance). In reality though, it has no direct bearing on your physique. Whether you eat twice a day or 8 meals, it makes no difference so long as your comparing isocaloric diets and you can maintain the same intensity in your athletic endeavors.

I personally hate eating and planning for 8meals in the day. I normally stick to 2-4. As to the rEason his diet is effective, it's not that the amount of meals are better. It's likely due to a more accurately matched energy intake. Plus he's got you doing much higher volume which will also lead to a higher energy expenditure giving you a larger calorie deficit which in the end is responsible for weight loss.
    almostgone likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Here's an amazing meta-analysis of nutrient timing from JISSN:

JISSN | Full text | Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kronik420
    if it works then stick with it...
    ^^ this.

Goat - u r eating limited amount of fat? Am I understanding this correctly??

What supplements u taking?

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    Here's an amazing meta-analysis of nutrient timing from JISSN:

JISSN | Full text | Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?
    Read this one a while back. Highly recommended!!!

~T
    Docd187123 likes this.

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    In my experience with people, the most successful "diet" and "exercise regimen" for them is going to be the one they consistently stick with the longest.

Personally I feel I get the best results in size, & strength when I vary my rep ranges week to week/month to month.
    I'll go from 5x5's really heavy, all the way up to 3-4 sets of 30 reps in all muscle groups.
    I even like to sneak some DTP in there once in awhile.

Echoing everyone else here, If it works for you stick with it.
    Good job, keep it up.

~ Drew
    Docd187123 likes this.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Energy consumed Vs. Energy burned = Gain or loss. Frequency of meals has been proven irrelevant to an extent in my own experience and experience of my clients. I've seen great results on 8 meals a day and I've seen great results on intermittent fasting diets with 2 meals a day 12 hours apart. Bottom line like others have said, "if it works stick with it till it doesn't"

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Read this one a while back. Highly recommended!!!

~T
    Sorry for the late reaplies, been out of internet range.
    I´m not limiting fat persay, but this food plan consists of aprox 50 pro, 30 carb and 20 fat.
    As for supplimets,

The list i got from the trainier

L arginine
    L caranatine
    Vitargo (carbs)
    HMB?
    Preworkout
    CLA
    Calsium and Magnisum
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin B
    Multi vits
    Stack force fat burner.
    Clenbutoral
    Bcaa
    Glutamin

Think that´s it.

What i did buy,

L arginine
    Prework out
    Stackforce
    BCAA, havént been using it enought I belife
    Vitamin B and C
    CLA
    Calsium and magnisium

He also suggested 750 mg test, and 1 mg adex eod which i´m doing and liking it. Unnecessary amount of test maybe??

I know this workout and diet plan is working, I just want to know which one of thease supllimnts I can go with out as they cost quite a bit o money.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Wow, for me personally, I never needed that high of a dosage of arimidex . Did he give a reason for that specific amount? Also, I would question the use of a fat burner and clenbuterol . Maybe there's a reason for.it but it sounds like he advised you to throw the whole kitchen sink into the mix...
    Last edited by almostgone; 03-15-2014 at 06:03 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

No, he didn´t give me a reason for the amount of adex. It´s on the high end, but a lot of the stuff here in Iceland is underdosed.
    I haven´t bought clen yet, thinking of doing it may be in May, if i´m not happy with resaults with out it....

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I'd throw vitamin D3 in there if it were me vs. some of the other supplements your trainer suggested.
    Congrats on your progress, though.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

IMO, your wasting alot of $$ here..

all you need is to eat food and lift heavy weights.. and since your cutting, add in cardio..
    almostgone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kronik420 View Post
    IMO, your wasting alot of $$ here..

all you need is to eat food and lift heavy weights.. and since your cutting, add in cardio..
    i see your point, i was also always under this impression, this personal trainer is however setting up my workout with lots of volume, high reps with a 6 day split.
    Since the volume and rep ranges are so high, I´m not able to put as much weight on the bars as I´ve used to. Is this method flawed in your opinion?

i see your point, i was also always under this impression, this personal trainer is however setting up my workout with lots of volume, high reps with a 6 day split.
    Since the volume and rep ranges are so high, I´m not able to put as much weight on the bars as I´ve used to. Is this method flawed in your opinion?
    since your goal is to cut, it probably won't make much of a difference to your results, although be prepared to loose some strength..

this is why i keep lifting heavy while im cutting, loosing strength plays too much with my head...

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    That diet, workout, and stack was the standard a decade or two ago. There's nothing necessarily wrong with it, but it is expensive and time consuming.

Ok, thatt´s interesting. What would you recomend for a cheaper, less time cosuming and more modern aprouch?

Ok, thatt´s interesting. What would you recomend for a cheaper, less time cosuming and more modern aprouch?
    There are so many opinions on this that I can't easily lay something out for you, but I'll take a stab at it.
    Fats (especially MCT/coconut oil and monounsaturated fats) are fine. I go with roughly a 34/33/33 split. Avoid processed food and stick to whole grains/legumes, fruits, and vegetables for carbs.
    You don't need to eat 8 times a day unless you're a heavyweight BBer and need to eat so much that you basically have to graze all day like a cow (nobody with a job/life has time for that). You could just condense those 8 meals into 4.
    You could forgo all those supps and just stick to:
    Protein powder
    creatine mono
    citrulline malate
    taurine

Austinite has some great threads in the supp section about essential supps for overall health.

The volume training is fine for now, but you'll want to change your routine every 2 months or so.

750mg of test is overkill for a first cycle.
    Back it down to 400-500mg and try .5 mg of adex EOD (or even .25 EOD).
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 03-16-2014 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks for the advice, I´ll stick to those sups once i´m out of the rest.
    I do however feel like the preworkout is doing me good, especially when hitting the gym at 06:00 am..

Thanks for the advice, I´ll stick to those sups once i´m out of the rest.
    I do however feel like the preworkout is doing me good, especially when hitting the gym at 06:00 am..
    Keep an eye on your blood Pressure. Most of them are full of stimulants, and may even be tainted with illegal ones.

Thread Information