ramacher is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Making protein shakes night before

Is there any protein degradation to its molecular structure if I make my protein shake the night before instead of in the morning when I am half awake. for some reason I heard that the protein wouldn't be the same if I made it the night before rather before I drink it. Thoughts?

AngryNR3C4 is offline Junior Member
    It will stay the same, but even if it did change molecular structure i.e. denature, it would still retain full nutritional value.
    Baked eggs change structure too, but still have the same macros.

jngymrat is offline Associate Member
    Well, although thats a good question, the answer is no, the protein will not have the same values making them that much in advance. When you constitute a powder (protein) the shaking or aerating it, you increase the volumetric surfactant creating oxidation, which will immediately cause it to start to rot (so to speak) and therefore the window is short. If using a blender over hand shaking or stirring is at a faster rate.

Adding fresh lemon will retard the oxidation process, but wont taste as good.

Quote Originally Posted by jngymrat View Post
    Well, although thats a good question, the answer is no, the protein will not have the same values making them that much in advance. When you constitute a powder (protein) the shaking or aerating it, you increase the volumetric surfactant creating oxidation, which will immediately cause it to start to rot (so to speak) and therefore the window is short. If using a blender over hand shaking or stirring is at a faster rate.

OXidation doesn't change the primary amino acid sequence. In short protein will have the same value and amino acid content

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    OXidation doesn't change the primary amino acid sequence. In short protein will have the same value and amino acid content
    Thank you!

So in your theory, there is absolutely no change in the nutritional value and or no difference to the amino acids or debilitation with in protein synthesis from decay or spoilage in a protein drink say, made 1-10 days in advance?

Can you please explain?

1. Also are you saying, just because a food contains amino acids (due to the presence of protein nitrogen) that if it has reached degradation in any form whatsoever, that the molecular structure within the cell upon absorption is completely unaffected?

2. Since you mentioned "oxidation doesn't change the amino acid sequence", will you be able to define, How does the amino acid sequence of a protein specify its three-dimensional structure or reestablish correct disulfide Pairing when the only restructure sequence is NOT IMUNE to oxidation in basic Bio-chemistry?

Maybe I am missing some valuable information and I have misinterpreted your response, but I have restructured my original response for clarity. You can either do it here or PM me. I would even like the "doc" guy that obviously second your answer to give a response. Thanks fellas,

JN

So in your theory, there is absolutely no change in the nutritional value and or no difference to the amino acids or debilitation with in protein synthesis from decay or spoilage in a protein drink say, made 1-10 days in advance?

Can you please explain?

1. Also are you saying, just because a food contains amino acids (due to the presence of protein nitrogen) that if it has reached degradation in any form whatsoever, that the molecular structure within the cell upon absorption is completely unaffected?

2. Since you mentioned "oxidation doesn't change the amino acid sequence", will you be able to define, How does the amino acid sequence of a protein specify its three-dimensional structure or reestablish correct disulfide Pairing when the only restructure sequence is NOT IMUNE to oxidation in basic Bio-chemistry?

Maybe I am missing some valuable information and I have misinterpreted your response, but I have restructured my original response for clarity. You can either do it here or PM me. I would even like the "doc" guy that obviously second your answer to give a response. Thanks fellas,

JN
    Being diligent and a simple Google search will answer all ur questions.

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembo...aturation.html

Can you please explain?

JN
    Again, from a Google search. Science is science my friend whether people want to agree or not.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...n-denaturation

"The denatured protein has the same primary structure as the original, or native, protein. The weak forces between charged groups and the weaker forces of mutual attraction of nonpolar groups are disrupted at elevated temperatures, however; as a result, the tertiary structure of the protein is lost." [Still the same primary amino acid sequence via peptide bonds]

Furthermore, enzymes in ur stomach (pepsin) and in ur digestive tract break down the peptide bonds to utilize individual amino acids. Secondary and tertiary and even quaternary structures do not matter when talking about bioavailability because the primary structure (what is further broken down to individuals amino acids) is still the same sequence and therefore still able to to be utilized.

Although I appreciate your ability to look up a google related topic, and with regards to google, this is not SIMPLE science. Not one of my questions have been answered. Your initial response to the original question "is there any degradation in making the shake the night before?" Was that "Oxidation DOES'NT change the primary amino acid sequence"

I am maintaining that (with regard to try and simplify science) Oxidation is in fact one, of only a couple determining factors, that ACTUALLY do degrade the protein nitrogen amino hierarchy (the original question) regarding, but has not bearing on this particular question, the amino acid sequence, which by the way is not multi direction in sequence, but rather, 3 dimensional (noncovalent bonds, respectively)

To make it even much more simplistic. This is simple whey protein powder made for human consumption, and the complexity in virtually every aspect, is very common. It has a shelf life, it will spoil, degrade and off gas just like any other organic carbon base nitrogen will.

We build research for two of the leaders in the industry concerning these very subjects and topics. I am not claiming to have all the answers and most of all am here just like everyone else, to gain information to become better informed. That's all. And as much as I respect you and you answers, I cannot find validity in them. On top of all that, I have used protein powders from all walks of life and the very foremost information regarding it (by the manufactures) is that is should be drank immediately because of quick degradation.

Just so you know, I have no "intent" or "tone" and have valued your insight. With much respect,

JN

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Although I appreciate your ability to look up a google related topic, and with regards to google, this is not SIMPLE science. Not one of my questions have been answered. Your initial response to the original question "is there any degradation in making the shake the night before?" Was that "Oxidation DOES'NT change the primary amino acid sequence"

I am maintaining that (with regard to try and simplify science) Oxidation is in fact one, of only a couple determining factors, that ACTUALLY do degrade the protein nitrogen amino hierarchy (the original question) regarding, but has not bearing on this particular question, the amino acid sequence, which by the way is not multi direction in sequence, but rather, 3 dimensional (noncovalent bonds, respectively)

To make it even much more simplistic. This is simple whey protein powder made for human consumption, and the complexity in virtually every aspect, is very common. It has a shelf life, it will spoil, degrade and off gas just like any other organic carbon base nitrogen will.

We build research for two of the leaders in the industry concerning these very subjects and topics. I am not claiming to have all the answers and most of all am here just like everyone else, to gain information to become better informed. That's all. And as much as I respect you and you answers, I cannot find validity in them. On top of all that, I have used protein powders from all walks of life and the very foremost information regarding it (by the manufactures) is that is should be drank immediately because of quick degradation.

Just so you know, I have no "intent" or "tone" and have valued your insight. With much respect,

JN
    You do realize ever since we invented fire we've been denaturing proteins regularly? Some denaturation is actually beneficial in the example of eggs. It can change some of the biologic effects (like whey's benefits to immunity) but it will retain the same caloric and macronutrient value regardless of the denaturation.

AngryNR3C4 is offline Junior Member

I'd say it will be good for at least 3-4 days. I had real whey in my fridge for a few days. I have milk, which is 20% whey, in fridge on the daily.
    That milk is uht processed and it doesn't spoil for many days. Mixed powdered milk doesn't spoil in a few days.
    Mixed baby formula doesn't spoil in a fridge for at least a day and it usually contains whey and casein among other things.

I think your claim (you at least imply) that protein loses nutritional value overnight is extraordinary, and I'd like better explanation/evidence.

Thread Information