Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: ? On "eating clean"

  1. #1
    MK1's Avatar
    MK1
    MK1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    107

    ? On "eating clean"

    Hat exactly is "Eating Clean" I'm having trouble with this as a blanket statement! What is and how can I Eat Clean. It seems this is where I need to be to see results

  2. #2
    SEOINAGE's Avatar
    SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,863
    Defined differently by just about everyone.

    Set up your macronutrient break down. Carbs proteins fats and total calories, you know, something to follow for your goal. Then as far as clean goes whole unprocessed foods is the simplest way I can define it. Meet your breakdown with about 80% "clean" or I've heard eat 80% with yourneeds and 20% with your wants. If you can do that without unprocessed food there can be some health benefits. But even whey protein is considered processed, yet it is pretty awesome.

    I'm not an if it fits your macros sort of person, but there are times when simple sugars are actually a good thing, or more "dirty" foods can be better for your goals at a given time. But if you meet your breakdown even with dirty foods you can have results, optimal for health? maybe not depending on what it is and the extent of it.

    I try not to define things as "healthy" or "unhealthy" unless it is blatantly obvious, and a lot of people define things as unhealthy when used properly wouldn't have any adverse effects, or could be part of a protocol and it wouldn't force you to gain fat etc.

    There is a lot more to "eating clean" than this, such as to reasons why you might not want high levels of insulin for fat loss or a number of other things, but I think that is a different topic entirely, and these other factors need to be understood when following or designing a protocol.

  3. #3
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    ^ this.

    In addition to this, a couple of guidelines to eating clean

    *only drink water for the most part.
    *avoid processed foods
    *seek whole foods
    *raw veggies over cooked
    *complex carbs with a high GV over simple carbs
    *avoid sugar
    *saturated fat over unsaturated fat
    *no alcohol
    *don't over rely on protein powder

    there's more, but I think this is a good starting point
    Last edited by Times Roman; 05-20-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: got the fat type backwards

  4. #4
    MK1's Avatar
    MK1
    MK1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    107
    Ok this is pretty much my diet now. No Alcohol beer isn't processed.

  5. #5
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,426
    Blog Entries
    162
    Agree with it all except the Saturated Fat part.

  6. #6
    Times Roman's Avatar
    Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Back from Afghanistan
    Posts
    27,383
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Agree with it all except the Saturated Fat part.
    you know, I keep screwing that up. not sure why the brain fart every time I write that.

    Maybe in the future I should say liquid fat as opposed to non liquid fat, or vegetable fat over animal fat.

    I did the edit. Thanks for the catch

    ---Roman
    tarmyg likes this.

  7. #7
    Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    you know, I keep screwing that up. not sure why the brain fart every time I write that.

    Maybe in the future I should say liquid fat as opposed to non liquid fat, or vegetable fat over animal fat.

    I did the edit. Thanks for the catch

    ---Roman
    Lol, we all have brain tarts now and again. Another way of saying it, at least the way I do normally, is you should only avoid artificial transfats.

  8. #8
    MK1's Avatar
    MK1
    MK1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    107
    What are some simple forms of saturated and unsaturated fats.

  9. #9
    Bonaparte's Avatar
    Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,504
    Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    What are some simple forms of saturated and unsaturated fats.
    Saturated fat will be a solid at room temp (with the exception of MCT oil or coconut oil over 76 F). Animal fat is saturated.
    Unsaturated fat can be monounsaturated (the best kind), or polyunsaturated (the kind we used to think was good, but actually causes arterial inflammation and heart disease in high amounts).
    Olive oil is monounsaturated. Corn, soybean, etc oil is polyunsaturated (the higher the omega 6 content, the more harmful they are).

  10. #10
    Bonaparte's Avatar
    Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    13,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    ^ this.

    In addition to this, a couple of guidelines to eating clean

    *only drink water for the most part.
    *avoid processed foods
    *seek whole foods
    *raw veggies over cooked
    *complex carbs with a high GV over simple carbs
    *avoid sugar
    *saturated fat over unsaturated fat
    *no alcohol
    *don't over rely on protein powder

    there's more, but I think this is a good starting point
    That's still backwards, unless you're advocating a diet high in saturated fat...

  11. #11
    Getlean007's Avatar
    Getlean007 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE
    Defined differently by just about everyone. Set up your macronutrient break down. Carbs proteins fats and total calories, you know, something to follow for your goal. Then as far as clean goes whole unprocessed foods is the simplest way I can define it. Meet your breakdown with about 80% "clean" or I've heard eat 80% with yourneeds and 20% with your wants. If you can do that without unprocessed food there can be some health benefits. But even whey protein is considered processed, yet it is pretty awesome. I'm not an if it fits your macros sort of person, but there are times when simple sugars are actually a good thing, or more "dirty" foods can be better for your goals at a given time. But if you meet your breakdown even with dirty foods you can have results, optimal for health? maybe not depending on what it is and the extent of it. I try not to define things as "healthy" or "unhealthy" unless it is blatantly obvious, and a lot of people define things as unhealthy when used properly wouldn't have any adverse effects, or could be part of a protocol and it wouldn't force you to gain fat etc. There is a lot more to "eating clean" than this, such as to reasons why you might not want high levels of insulin for fat loss or a number of other things, but I think that is a different topic entirely, and these other factors need to be understood when following or designing a protocol.
    Thiss

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •