Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: ? On "eating clean"

MK1
    MK1 is offline Junior Member

? On "eating clean"

Hat exactly is "Eating Clean" I'm having trouble with this as a blanket statement! What is and how can I Eat Clean. It seems this is where I need to be to see results

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Defined differently by just about everyone.

Set up your macronutrient break down. Carbs proteins fats and total calories, you know, something to follow for your goal. Then as far as clean goes whole unprocessed foods is the simplest way I can define it. Meet your breakdown with about 80% "clean" or I've heard eat 80% with yourneeds and 20% with your wants. If you can do that without unprocessed food there can be some health benefits. But even whey protein is considered processed, yet it is pretty awesome.

I'm not an if it fits your macros sort of person, but there are times when simple sugars are actually a good thing, or more "dirty" foods can be better for your goals at a given time. But if you meet your breakdown even with dirty foods you can have results, optimal for health? maybe not depending on what it is and the extent of it.

I try not to define things as "healthy" or "unhealthy" unless it is blatantly obvious, and a lot of people define things as unhealthy when used properly wouldn't have any adverse effects, or could be part of a protocol and it wouldn't force you to gain fat etc.

There is a lot more to "eating clean" than this, such as to reasons why you might not want high levels of insulin for fat loss or a number of other things, but I think that is a different topic entirely, and these other factors need to be understood when following or designing a protocol.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    ^ this.

In addition to this, a couple of guidelines to eating clean

*only drink water for the most part.
    *avoid processed foods
    *seek whole foods
    *raw veggies over cooked
    *complex carbs with a high GV over simple carbs
    *avoid sugar
    *saturated fat over unsaturated fat
    *no alcohol
    *don't over rely on protein powder

there's more, but I think this is a good starting point
    Last edited by Times Roman; 05-20-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: got the fat type backwards

MK1
    Ok this is pretty much my diet now. No Alcohol beer isn't processed.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Agree with it all except the Saturated Fat part.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Agree with it all except the Saturated Fat part.
    you know, I keep screwing that up. not sure why the brain fart every time I write that.

Maybe in the future I should say liquid fat as opposed to non liquid fat, or vegetable fat over animal fat.

I did the edit. Thanks for the catch

---Roman
    tarmyg likes this.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    you know, I keep screwing that up. not sure why the brain fart every time I write that.

Maybe in the future I should say liquid fat as opposed to non liquid fat, or vegetable fat over animal fat.

I did the edit. Thanks for the catch

---Roman
    Lol, we all have brain tarts now and again. Another way of saying it, at least the way I do normally, is you should only avoid artificial transfats.

MK1
    What are some simple forms of saturated and unsaturated fats.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    What are some simple forms of saturated and unsaturated fats.
    Saturated fat will be a solid at room temp (with the exception of MCT oil or coconut oil over 76 F). Animal fat is saturated.
    Unsaturated fat can be monounsaturated (the best kind), or polyunsaturated (the kind we used to think was good, but actually causes arterial inflammation and heart disease in high amounts).
    Olive oil is monounsaturated. Corn, soybean, etc oil is polyunsaturated (the higher the omega 6 content, the more harmful they are).

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    ^ this.

In addition to this, a couple of guidelines to eating clean

*only drink water for the most part.
    *avoid processed foods
    *seek whole foods
    *raw veggies over cooked
    *complex carbs with a high GV over simple carbs
    *avoid sugar
    *saturated fat over unsaturated fat
    *no alcohol
    *don't over rely on protein powder

there's more, but I think this is a good starting point
    That's still backwards, unless you're advocating a diet high in saturated fat...

Getlean007 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE
    Defined differently by just about everyone. Set up your macronutrient break down. Carbs proteins fats and total calories, you know, something to follow for your goal. Then as far as clean goes whole unprocessed foods is the simplest way I can define it. Meet your breakdown with about 80% "clean" or I've heard eat 80% with yourneeds and 20% with your wants. If you can do that without unprocessed food there can be some health benefits. But even whey protein is considered processed, yet it is pretty awesome. I'm not an if it fits your macros sort of person, but there are times when simple sugars are actually a good thing, or more "dirty" foods can be better for your goals at a given time. But if you meet your breakdown even with dirty foods you can have results, optimal for health? maybe not depending on what it is and the extent of it. I try not to define things as "healthy" or "unhealthy" unless it is blatantly obvious, and a lot of people define things as unhealthy when used properly wouldn't have any adverse effects, or could be part of a protocol and it wouldn't force you to gain fat etc. There is a lot more to "eating clean" than this, such as to reasons why you might not want high levels of insulin for fat loss or a number of other things, but I think that is a different topic entirely, and these other factors need to be understood when following or designing a protocol.
    Thiss

Thread Information