pat rat is offline New Member

Proper balancing of nutrition for bulking and solid mass without getting fat

Hi. I finished my first cycle (MSTEN) and gained 8 pounds of muscle (disappointing) but lost it ALL after two weeks. I had focused heavily on the 1.5grams x bodyweight for protein but I realized that my diet was way short of certain things, especially calories and carbs (almost no fat as well). During my "off time" I have increased my caloric intake (4000-4500), protein is still 1.5x body weight (230lbs) = 350-380 grams and a LOT of carbs (500+). I also added fat but am doing so changing my milk intake from non-fat to 1% (3/4-1 gallon a day). The milk is obviously a lot of my caloric, protein and carb as well but my issues is it has a LOT of sugar and my waistline is getting thick. I am obviously a novice in trying to bulk but wanted to get on a better "bulking regimen(?) so when I start my next cycle, I can maintain my gains I just can't seem to find the right foods that have high calories, carbs and protein without being high in fat AND sugar!! I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for solid information available on the web(?) on proper dieting for bulking and mass? Appreciated!!

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Do you cook your own food?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pat rat View Post
    Hi. I finished my first cycle (MSTEN) and gained 8 pounds of muscle (disappointing) but lost it ALL after two weeks. I had focused heavily on the 1.5grams x bodyweight for protein but I realized that my diet was way short of certain things, especially calories and carbs (almost no fat as well). During my "off time" I have increased my caloric intake (4000-4500), protein is still 1.5x body weight (230lbs) = 350-380 grams and a LOT of carbs (500+). I also added fat but am doing so changing my milk intake from non-fat to 1% (3/4-1 gallon a day). The milk is obviously a lot of my caloric, protein and carb as well but my issues is it has a LOT of sugar and my waistline is getting thick. I am obviously a novice in trying to bulk but wanted to get on a better "bulking regimen(?) so when I start my next cycle, I can maintain my gains I just can't seem to find the right foods that have high calories, carbs and protein without being high in fat AND sugar!! I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for solid information available on the web(?) on proper dieting for bulking and mass? Appreciated!!
    Sorry to break the bad news to you mate, but muscle does not atrophy at the rate you suggest (8 pounds in two weeks). The weight you lost was not LBM. I imagine it was mostly water.

your waist line is getting thick because you are consuming over 4,000/cals/day. I'm thinking you need to accurately calculate your TDEE, and then probably at most eat about 500 cals/day over that. Do you know how to do that? If not, you can PM me and I will email you my interactive macro calculator (spreadsheet) which, amongst other things, will calculate your TDEE. This tool contains over 900 food items which breaks out protein/carbs/fat/calories, so you would be able to see for yourself what you need to eat to be able to accomplish your goals.

Good luck!
    ---Roman

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    high protein, med - high fat ( healthy fats) and med carbs IMO

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    way over on calories, and don't touch the steroids till you can get things done right without them. Sounds like you need to drop a lot of fat now.

Lean beef is a good protein source, works great for cutting and bulking. Chicken breast works, as does some pork. You'll just have to go with what works for your plan once you make one.

Fat sources, my favorites are olive oil, coconut oil, butter and even lard but not often. If I am low carb and high fat I can consume things like macadamia nut butter and some other nuts and even cheese.

Favorite carb sources. Sweet potatoes(yams), yellow sweet potatoes, purple potatoes. Quinoa, buckwheat, and barley.

and then leafy greens etc. Usually spinach and kale for me, consume things like broccoli, green beans as well.

If I am bulking or having a higher calorie carb day I can have things like blueberries, bananas etc. I usually keep the faster acting carbs around weight training times, but I don't include a lot of fruit and usually avoid HFCS.

Gaining mass without fat is somewhat impossible for a good solid focused bulk. Your best bet is starting out really really lean especially if running a cycle. You then make sure you don't just over consume, and can even rotate carbs, and have some low calorie days. There's proper ways to set it up to get the most out of a bulk and mitigate just putting on fat, but the key thing is what Times said and dial things in first.

Thread Information