Soylent - Meal Replacement

I ran a search and found nothing on this, likely due to the fact this is so new.

Please save the "nothing beats real/whole food," we all know that. I would not recommend anything as a full-time meal REPLACEMENT, but this looks like it might be a decent 2nd choice for someone on the go who needs to add some calories between real meals and possibly even replace a meal sometimes. They are touting it as a full replacement and that you can stop eating real food (which I would not recommend).

Personally I have a job where I am on the road most of the day and it is extremely hard (not impossible) to pack a cooler full of good food for the entire day. In addition to being in the car, my schedule is impossible to estimate so lately I have had a lot of skipped meals and fast food just for lack of time (I have no shame!).

If you have a minute check out their website: Soylent - Free Your Body

I have to admit, as much as I have always talked bad about meal replacements this actually interests me. I was wondering if you guys have heard about, or even tried it. I would love to read a review from a real person as opposed to someone in the media!

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    website is not working

So let me ask a question. Because this is what I do when I'm on the go.

In a small zip lock bag, one scoop of protein powder and another of dry rolled oats. A couple dozen of these in a larger zip lock bag, include a shaker cup, and you are done.

I'm not sure why anybody would pay a premium price?

NEFLRick is offline Associate Member
    Soylent got a lot of press recently. They did a crowd funding and got a bunch of money, attention then real backers. They've been very behind on their orders (a friend of mine was supposed to have his order like 3 months ago but still doesn't have it). Interesting idea and seems to have done it right but they're lacking in the follow through department so far.

DrewZ is offline Productive Member
    All I can think of is the movie Soylent Green.

I don't think I'd be getting that stuff anywhere near my mouth...lol

Quote Originally Posted by NEFLRick View Post
    Soylent got a lot of press recently. They did a crowd funding and got a bunch of money, attention then real backers. They've been very behind on their orders (a friend of mine was supposed to have his order like 3 months ago but still doesn't have it). Interesting idea and seems to have done it right but they're lacking in the follow through department so far.
    so back to my original comment and the zip lock bags with protein powder and oats....

This solution contains all the protein and carbs one can want. Protein powder costs about 65 cents a scoop, so the entire shaker cup would run you less than six bits.

And I'm thinking the soylent meal replacement is at least a couple of bucks, right?

you did qualify this was a short term solution?

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    That stuff looks pretty awesome. Would definitely order some but looks like they are a little backed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    so back to my original comment and the zip lock bags with protein powder and oats....

This solution contains all the protein and carbs one can want. Protein powder costs about 65 cents a scoop, so the entire shaker cup would run you less than six bits.

And I'm thinking the soylent meal replacement is at least a couple of bucks, right?

you did qualify this was a short term solution?
    OK man, how much is 6 bits? the exchange rate for bits that I am familiar with is 2 bits = 1 shave + 1 haircut...

but seriously, not even a short term solution, but a solution when needed when running behind on meals due to work/whatever. a full bag is $9 and it recommends 1 bag per day. but I was just thinking for us it may be used as a supplement at times.

just saw on the news as a startup company and sounded interesting, like space food or something. I might try some once they get caught up on orders and let y'all know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by spittin' 'n cussin' View Post
    OK man, how much is 6 bits? the exchange rate for bits that I am familiar with is 2 bits = 1 shave + 1 haircut...

but seriously, not even a short term solution, but a solution when needed when running behind on meals due to work/whatever. a full bag is $9 and it recommends 1 bag per day. but I was just thinking for us it may be used as a supplement at times.

just saw on the news as a startup company and sounded interesting, like space food or something. I might try some once they get caught up on orders and let y'all know how it goes.
    six bits = 75 cents.

well, now you know why the supplement business is a multi billion a year industry.

most of the crap they put out is just that......
    .......crap!

what I have done in the past is load up my office with protein powder, oats, canned chicken.....

a little planning ahead can save big $$ in the long run.....

.........unless you have a lot of cash you are not worried about?

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm with Times on this. Other than eating just soylent like they intend being an abomination to me. I still wouldn't bother with it. I mean the ratios are crap, if you are going to do a replacement that you can easily control the macros, why not do it yourself, get a lot more protein in, or less carbs and fat so it actually works with you on reaching your macros, and then you can change it based on whatever your day needs.

Not to mention the lousy ingredients. I mean isn't whey pretty much superior to rice protein?

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    I'm with Times on this. Other than eating just soylent like they intend being an abomination to me. I still wouldn't bother with it. I mean the ratios are crap, if you are going to do a replacement that you can easily control the macros, why not do it yourself, get a lot more protein in, or less carbs and fat so it actually works with you on reaching your macros, and then you can change it based on whatever your day needs.

Not to mention the lousy ingredients. I mean isn't whey pretty much superior to rice protein?
    I guess the rice protein is so it is more plant-based (for the hippies/hipsters), but you're right, from what I just read rice protein is not complete in itself as whey is.

I do like the idea of making my own with bulk items from Life Grocery (or similar), add a powdered multivitamin, separate carbs/fat.

...but only if I had to!

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin' 'n cussin' View Post
    I guess the rice protein is so it is more plant-based (for the hippies/hipsters), but you're right, from what I just read rice protein is not complete in itself as whey is.

I do like the idea of making my own with bulk items from Life Grocery (or similar), add a powdered multivitamin, separate carbs/fat.

...but only if I had to!
    I like mine to taste good. So if I'm having a meal out of it, I load it up with protein, and put in things like blueberries bananas, peanut butter, and cocoa. Not a chance soylent tastes as good as what you can make yourself. I don't bother with powdered multi when I can just swallow one.

thisAngelBites is offline Knowledgeable Female Member
    Rice does not have all the 9 essential amino acids (the ones we cannot make, but must take in through our diet) in it to make it a complete protein. It doesn't look like they added the lysine that rice powder would be missing - usually in these vegan/vegetarian powders they add pea protein, which is high in lysine to make up for the deficiency in rice, but it doesn't look like they do that here. If you decided to use this one, you could always add a little pea or hemp (which takes come getting used to, but is a good, if incomplete, protein source).

Furthermore, most rice is high in arsenic, so you wouldn't want to make rice powder a super frequent thing, as it is likely to raise your body burden of this metalloid over the long term.

I personally wouldn't be consuming canola oil and sucralose (chlorinated sugar) regularly, and I think there are better rice powders (sunwarrior for one, where they add lysine so the protein is complete, but they don't add the nutrients that soylent does, and I do see how that's appealing, raw fusion is another, but also doesn't have added micronutrients).

Otherwise, as you already said, there are pretty clean whey powders out there.

ForAFriend is offline New Member
    Curious what you guys think about Huel. It has a higher protein ratio, it seems to have solved the issue of incomplete amino acids by adding pea proteins. It's more expensive than Soylent, though....

https://huel.com

Thread Information