frighteous is offline Junior Member

Why does real food build mass better than protein drinks if both have equal protein?

Every single bodybuilder or knowledgeable person eats real food instead of protein drinks.

Is it because the real food builds muscle better, or because real food is less stressful to the liver, or both, or what?

Just curious.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    a variety of reasons

over indulgence of protein powder can quite often trigger horrific gas

using protein powder to finish off your macros at the end of the day works pretty good

most protein powder is a milk product, and excessive use can sometimes trigger lactose intolerance

and finally, whole food is always preferable to powders and supplements as whole foods are usually more nutritious and contain micro nutrients that supplements and powders lack.

and if you protein shop, whole foods like chicken is still less expensive per gram of protein than some of the better protein powders.

Darkness is offline Member
    Amino acid profiles are much more complete in whole food than just whey protein. Looks up graphs for Beef, Chicken, Eggs and Whey, and it will answer you question. Plus all the vitamins and minerals that you dont get from powders.

Wintermaul is offline Junior Member
    Addition to what already has been said is that it will fill up your stomach more. If i live on shakes and "normal" food with the same macros i get hungry. But if i eat 3-400g of beef/chicken/fish i actually feel full and satisfied afterwards. If i just get some bread with a shake im just gonna go "hmm.." And get hungry within an hour or two.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frighteous View Post
    Every single bodybuilder or knowledgeable person eats real food instead of protein drinks.

Is it because the real food builds muscle better, or because real food is less stressful to the liver, or both, or what?

Just curious.
    Neither is better. It's all protein in the end. While food does have added benefits at times but those don't necessarily make whole foods better at building mass.

Lee_1978 is offline Member
    But the consensus is whey protein is better PWO, right?

Wintermaul is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_1978
    But the consensus is whey protein is better PWO, right?
    Whey is fast-absorbing so its typically to be used after or before a workout. Casein is then again typically used before bed because of its long absorbing-time. Different type of protein have different absorbing-time in the body. So yes, whey-protein is ideally used PWO.

Thread Information