Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Times Roman
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: 30/35/25 macro spilt

Lee_1978 is offline Member

40/35/30 macro spilt

Hi,

I'm running a different macro spilt having come off an extended cut and I wanted some opinions if possible. I didn't want to go too heavy on the carbs, so I'm upping the percentage of fats within the diet. The goal of this diet is to put on some LBM prior to AAS cycling. I've been running this for a week and so far I've gained 1 lb.

Stats
    Age 35
    Weight 83kg
    Height 178 cm
    BF % 15%

TDEE - 2450 Kcal
    Daily calorie total - 2950

Macros

Carbs 220g
    Protein 250g
    Fats 105g

Meal 1
    1 scoop whey, 100g oats, mixed berries

Pro - 41g, Carbs - 72g, Fats - 9g

Meal 2
    3 whole eggs, 100g lean protein, handful of almonds

Pro - 39g, Carbs - 5g, Fats - 32g

Meal 3
    Mixed salad (100g oily fish, avocado, spinach, tomatoes lettuce etc, 1 tbs olive oil)

Pro- 24g, Carbs - 2g, Fats - 40g

Meal 4 PRE WORKOUT
    Brown rice, green veg, 100g lean protein

Pro - 33g, Carbs - 55g, Fats - 7.5g

Meal 5 PWO
    1 1/2 scoop whey, 1 large banana, 50g oats

Pro - 46g, Carbs- 62g, Fats - 6.5g

Meal 6
    100g lean protein, mixed veg, 1/2 sweet potato

Pro - 38g, Carbs - 15g, Fats - 0g

Meal 7
    300g cottage cheese.

Pro- 28g, Carbs - 13.5g, Fats - 0g
    Last edited by Lee_1978; 07-31-2014 at 08:30 AM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    30 + 35 + 25 = 90% ??

it's gotta add up to 100% mate

suggest sticking the required additional 10% in with the protein as follows:

40/35/25 = 100%

please add up all your macros for a daily total, and save us lunks from having to do any math.

Thanks

---Roman
    jimmyinkedup and RaginCajun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    30 + 35 + 25 = 90% ??

it's gotta add up to 100% mate

suggest sticking the required additional 10% in with the protein as follows:

40/35/25 = 100%

please add up all your macros for a daily total, and save us lunks from having to do any math.

Thanks

---Roman
    Adjusted mate.

The daily macros are at the top, but here they are again.

Protein - 250g
    Fats - 106g
    Carbs - 220g.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_1978 View Post
    Hi,

I'm running a different macro spilt having come off an extended cut and I wanted some opinions if possible. I didn't want to go too heavy on the carbs, so I'm upping the percentage of fats within the diet. The goal of this diet is to put on some LBM prior to AAS cycling. I've been running this for a week and so far I've gained 1 lb.

Stats
    Age 35
    Weight 83kg
    Height 178 cm
    BF % 15%

TDEE - 2450 Kcal
    Daily calorie total - 2950

Macros

Carbs 220g
    Protein 250g - does this cover your min requirement at 1.5 grams per pound of lbm?
    Fats 105g

Meal 1
    1 scoop whey, 100g oats, mixed berries

Pro - 41g, Carbs - 72g, Fats - 9g

Meal 2
    3 whole eggs, 100g lean protein, handful of almonds

Pro - 39g, Carbs - 5g, Fats - 32g

Meal 3
    Mixed salad (100g oily fish, avocado, spinach, tomatoes lettuce etc, 1 tbs olive oil)

Pro- 24g, Carbs - 2g, Fats - 40g

Meal 4 PRE WORKOUT
    Brown rice, green veg, 100g lean protein

Pro - 33g, Carbs - 55g, Fats - 7.5g

Meal 5 PWO
    1 1/2 scoop whey, 1 large banana, 50g oats

Pro - 46g, Carbs- 62g, Fats - 6.5g

Meal 6
    100g lean protein, mixed veg, 1/2 sweet potato

Pro - 38g, Carbs - 15g, Fats - 0g

Meal 7
    300g cottage cheese.

Pro- 28g, Carbs - 13.5g, Fats - 0g
    Mate,

This plan doesn't look too bad. You might be able to do some real minor tune ups if you feel you need to reduce fat and increase protein.

such as switching from whole eggs to egg whites (more calories from fat in a whole egg than protein), same with the almonds which are calorically very dense, but it does satiate the appetite. By doing this and maybe dumping the almonds, you will free up calories which you can tuck into a high protein food item, like canned chicken or liquid egg whites.

Other than that, it looks like you have a decent plan, which may or may not need tweaking depending on if you have the 1.5 gram of protein per pound of LBM.

I also see the banana pre workout, which is exactly what I do.

You are on track mate!

---Roman

although I will say you are 500 cals above tdee, so expect a tic up in bf% depending on how long you decide to stay on this plan

Mate,

This plan doesn't look too bad. You might be able to do some real minor tune ups if you feel you need to reduce fat and increase protein.

such as switching from whole eggs to egg whites (more calories from fat in a whole egg than protein), same with the almonds which are calorically very dense, but it does satiate the appetite. By doing this and maybe dumping the almonds, you will free up calories which you can tuck into a high protein food item, like canned chicken or liquid egg whites.

Other than that, it looks like you have a decent plan, which may or may not need tweaking depending on if you have the 1.5 gram of protein per pound of LBM.

I also see the banana pre workout, which is exactly what I do.

You are on track mate!

---Roman
    Appreciate the input.

I've been reading lots of conflicting opinions on protein intake, that i decided to pitch my protein somewhere inbetween a 1 gram and 1.5 grams of protein per pound. I've been on 2 grams of protein per pound on previous bulks (natty) and I can't say I saw a major difference?

Also, do you think I could pitch my calories 700> TDEE, or is that asking for a fat belly?

Cheers - btw, are you English?

Appreciate the input.

I've been reading lots of conflicting opinions on protein intake, that i decided to pitch my protein somewhere inbetween a 1 gram and 1.5 grams of protein per pound. I've been on 2 grams of protein per pound on previous bulks (natty) and I can't say I saw a major difference?

Also, do you think I could pitch my calories 700> TDEE, or is that asking for a fat belly?

Cheers - btw, are you English?
    daily logging of what you eat is the science of learning about your body. Some people can handle surplus cals better than others. I wish our bodies responded as nicely as the formulas suggest. This is why I keep tinkering with my activity level multiplier. I'm eating at TDEE to recomp, yet even though I'm averaging something like 3,400 cals/day, with a rough 40/40/20 split, I'm still dropping about three pounds in two months.

The closest answer I can give you would be based on your natty body type without the lifting. Based on whether you are an ecto/meso/endo morph, I would let that guide your answer. Naturally skinny cerebral types have metabolisms that are relatively high, and the 700 cals above TDEE should not affect them nearly as much as someone who is usually more robust in the mid section, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I would not let my protein slip below the 1.5grams per pound of lbm. Keeping calories the same, reducing protein means either increasing carbs or fat, neither of which seems overly appealing to me.

And no, I'm Irish.

daily logging of what you eat is the science of learning about your body. Some people can handle surplus cals better than others. I wish our bodies responded as nicely as the formulas suggest. This is why I keep tinkering with my activity level multiplier. I'm eating at TDEE to recomp, yet even though I'm averaging something like 3,400 cals/day, with a rough 40/40/20 split, I'm still dropping about three pounds in two months.

The closest answer I can give you would be based on your natty body type without the lifting. Based on whether you are an ecto/meso/endo morph, I would let that guide your answer. Naturally skinny cerebral types have metabolisms that are relatively high, and the 700 cals above TDEE should not affect them nearly as much as someone who is usually more robust in the mid section, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I would not let my protein slip below the 1.5grams per pound of lbm. Keeping calories the same, reducing protein means either increasing carbs or fat, neither of which seems overly appealing to me.

And no, I'm Irish.
    Well, I'm an ecto for sure, so I'm going to go up to 700> TDEE next week and see how that fares.

I notice the 40/40/20 macro split you use is quite common, although not as common as the standard 40/30/30, is there any benefit to this? When I start my Test only cycle, I'm going to go with a 40/30/30 split or something similar as I'll need the extra carbs to fuel weight gain.

Do you incorporate cardio into your training to lower body fat out of interest?

Well, I'm an ecto for sure, so I'm going to go up to 700> TDEE next week and see how that fares.

I notice the 40/40/20 macro split you use is quite common, although not as common as the standard 40/30/30, is there any benefit to this? When I start my Test only cycle, I'm going to go with a 40/30/30 split or something similar as I'll need the extra carbs to fuel weight gain.

Do you incorporate cardio into your training to lower body fat out of interest?
    40/40/20, to be perfectly frank, is the standard starting point for many. It is a challenge to keep the fat intake to 20%, but by doing so, plenty of carbs to burn in the gym for fuel. All my fast burning carbs come by way of whole fruit. Slow burning carbs from Oats and veggies, maybe a yam once in awhile. I don't eat anything that is calorically dense, like peanut butter, nuts, or food that is too fatty (like an untrimmed T Bone steak - although I will eat it once all the fat is trimmed from it). You don't get fat from eating fat, as many believe, but instead, it's not a great fuel source, since difficult for the body to convert to energy. The other thing too, by keeping the fat to only 20%, you actually get to eat MORE food, something of special interest to those that are maybe cutting and need as much volume of food to feel satiated.

I've been recomping around 3,400 cals/day, and still have dropped about six pounds in three months. This is the lightest I've been in maybe 20 years. So I'm going to continue to recomp, and figure out a way to add cardio, you know, the 40 minutes per day every other day. Problem is I'm already in the gym three days out of four, and during the week, home by 9:30pm. So still scratching my head on how to squeeze the 40 minutes in.
    Lee_1978 likes this.

40/40/20, to be perfectly frank, is the standard starting point for many. It is a challenge to keep the fat intake to 20%, but by doing so, plenty of carbs to burn in the gym for fuel. All my fast burning carbs come by way of whole fruit. Slow burning carbs from Oats and veggies, maybe a yam once in awhile. I don't eat anything that is calorically dense, like peanut butter, nuts, or food that is too fatty (like an untrimmed T Bone steak - although I will eat it once all the fat is trimmed from it). You don't get fat from eating fat, as many believe, but instead, it's not a great fuel source, since difficult for the body to convert to energy. The other thing too, by keeping the fat to only 20%, you actually get to eat MORE food, something of special interest to those that are maybe cutting and need as much volume of food to feel satiated.

I've been recomping around 3,400 cals/day, and still have dropped about six pounds in three months. This is the lightest I've been in maybe 20 years. So I'm going to continue to recomp, and figure out a way to add cardio, you know, the 40 minutes per day every other day. Problem is I'm already in the gym three days out of four, and during the week, home by 9:30pm. So still scratching my head on how to squeeze the 40 minutes in.
    How do you manage your diet on your non training days?

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    How do you manage your diet on your non training days?
    Personally I do it on a weekly basis (I know some guys laugh when I say that) so at the end of the week if I am around the macros I want I feel good about it.

Thread Information