Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Post Workout - Food or Shake?

YoungGunsNY is offline Associate Member

Post Workout - Food or Shake?

This question has probably been asked numerous times here, so I apologize in advance for bringing it back around. I'm getting back into strict dieting again, and when I made the transition - I also cut out the mass gainer shakes (only half the "serving size" so I got ~60g pro & 80g carb) and substituted in 8oz chicken and 300g white rice cooked (eat about 30-45min post workout). Ah, also, I take 10g BCAAs pre and IMMEDIATE post workout (use water from gym water fountain before leaving).

Background info - Going for lean mass gain - got some bf to shed. I have 4 solid meals (egg/oats, chicken/brown rice/broc, 97%lean burgers on ezekial bread/broc & chicken/white rice PWO) and a casein shake with peanut butter before bed. Non-workout days I may even skip that 4th meal if im not hungry or just have another healthy substitute - tuna & avocado, etc.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    food

always food

MACKATTACK is offline EAT, TRAIN, REST
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungGunsNY View Post
    This question has probably been asked numerous times here, so I apologize in advance for bringing it back around. I'm getting back into strict dieting again, and when I made the transition - I also cut out the mass gainer shakes (only half the "serving size" so I got ~60g pro & 80g carb) and substituted in 8oz chicken and 300g white rice cooked (eat about 30-45min post workout). Ah, also, I take 10g BCAAs pre and IMMEDIATE post workout (use water from gym water fountain before leaving).

Background info - Going for lean mass gain - got some bf to shed. I have 4 solid meals (egg/oats, chicken/brown rice/broc, 97%lean burgers on ezekial bread/broc & chicken/white rice PWO) and a casein shake with peanut butter before bed. Non-workout days I may even skip that 4th meal if im not hungry or just have another healthy substitute - tuna & avocado, etc.

Did you get this meal plan from Stu Yellin?? lol

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    food always food
    What do you mean?

Nvm read the title of the thread again.

To the OP, a shake would be great post work out. Good thing you kicked the mass gainer though. It's much cheaper to make your own and they taste better IMO
    Last edited by fitnesstrainer; 08-02-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnesstrainer View Post
    What do you mean?

Nvm read the title of the thread again.

To the OP, a shake would be great post work out. Good thing you kicked the mass gainer though. It's much cheaper to make your own and they taste better IMO
    no problem

once you dial in your nutrition plan, and realize all the protein required to maintain your macros, you are, pretty much, eating a lot of protein throughout the day. Which means your body is constantly metabolizing protein, and has a ready supply post workout. I think we've debunked the "anabolic window" theory, and the need for quick burning pre/post workout is moot.

Having said that, at the end of the day, if you come up short on your macros and need more protein, a quick protein shake is one way to do it. It helps fill in the cracks so to speak.

But if you overly rely on protein powder, for a good many of us, in the long term, there will be consequences, some of which are very unpleasant.

My opinion is that this entire board (for most of us), as a group overall, would improve significantly if we put 90% of our efforts into mastering the basics, that being proper exercise, AND proper nutrition. Rest is not that terribly difficult to understand, but is the third pillar necessary for proper growth.

With a good proper nutrition plan, the need for protein powder pretty much goes away.

But we live in a society where we are bombarded by the supplement industries' marketing departments, so the temptation to simply reach for the bottle of protein powder is strong.
    Last edited by Times Roman; 08-02-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    DrewZ likes this.

Thread Information