Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Counting macro's in BCAA's ect.

Moochie is offline Female Member

Counting macro's in BCAA's ect.

Just a quick question as to if you count the macro's in your BCAA's and other supplements? I ask as I am a small female wanting to cut. When I include all the supplements it really eats into my food intake lol I noticed on the Bodybuilding Foods Marco Nutrients chart on here that they include fish oil capsules too so am wondering if you all include EVERY supplement you take.
    Last edited by Moochie; 08-09-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Morning Moochie

Technically, you need to INCLUDE the macros from all supps you consume to be accurate.

But realistically, the problem is not in the accuracy in one's goals. The problem is the lack of ability to execute.

To be specific, I'm currently doing a recomp. This means I eat at TDEE, with the Idea to lose BF% and pick up some LBM. Eating at TDEE means an intake of 3,120 calories, consisting of 312 grams of both protein and carbs, and only 69 grams of fat.

Here is a very recent result of my actual daily intake:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	138 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	152444

as you can see, I'm 46 calories short of goal, and 38 grams of protein short of target. Carbs on the other hand, are over by 83 grams and fat, well, that's short too by 42 grams. This gives me an actual split of 40/52/8 instead of my target of 40/40/20.

Now, I've been tracking my intake for months now, at this very high detail level (notice the macros per meal summary in the upper left? there is a tab for each meal with exact detail of what I ate included elsewhere in the calculator).

Tracking this level of detail is a lot of work. And even after several months of tracking, I STILL have a hard time precisely hitting my goals. In fact, I've NEVER hit my goals exactly. So because of this, I also track my ten day average and overall average. Here is my ten day average:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	103 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	152445

The good news is, over a ten day average, I'm pretty close to my target with a 42/39/19 split.

And if you have read all this so far, i'll get to my point.

The real issue is not having precise targets. The real issue is in executing your plan. and in finding your true TDEE. TDEE is only an approximation, and can be off by as much as a couple of hundred calories/day.

So go ahead in include the 4 calories per gram for each gram of BCAA you consume. It's tedious, but I think if you are trying to budget your effort and time, it would be better spent trying to figure out your true TDEE first. This is ground zero. Then, after, you can get a precise understanding of cutting below TDEE for some proper weight loss or BF% loss.

If you would like to give me your stats, I can crunch out a quick nutrition plan and post it here.

Would need

height
    weight
    gender = f

and by the way, I NEVER include macros from my supps. Partly because I don't take that many any more, and partly because the resulting macros are so small that in comparison to the TDEE formula variance, (formula can be off by a couple of hundred calories), it really doesn't seem to matter to me.

Up to you, and good luck!
    ---Roman

Granovich is offline Senior Member
    put it in myfitnesspal.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    ---> So because of this, I also track my ten day average and overall average
    I do the exactly same thing on 7 day averages. This 24/7 macro fanaticism is for people on elite level where every single gram counts and there are simply not many of those around, not even on these forums.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    I do the exactly same thing on 7 day averages. This 24/7 macro fanaticism is for people on elite level where every single gram counts and there are simply not many of those around, not even on these forums.
    same here. I do the best I can each day, but I look for trends on the ten day average. Only when the ten day average starts trending in the wrong direction do I begin to make real changes, which hasn't happened lately.
    tarmyg likes this.

Thread Information