Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182

    Calling all Ketogenic diet experts! Lab work included.

    I have been caught in a dilemma. I started the ketogenic diet as of 3 weeks ago and have not lost any weight. I have been in ketosis (tested via urine strips every morning) for the past 3 weeks. Most of the urine strips yielded trace or small amounts.

    My TDEE calculated as follows: My BMR (RMR) was analyzed via respirometer using VO2, that yielded 2750kcals. I also workout twice a day on some days (2500 calorie deficit) or once a day (1,500 calorie deficit) 7 days a week. The calories spent training were analyzed via a polar heart monitor. The rest of my day is sedimentary. Even though my TDEE ranges from 5200kcals to 4200kcals, I concluded that I should keep my calories at 2,500.

    I train early in the morning at 5am for 2 hours(ending at 7am) then plan my meals around an Intermittent fast of a 7 hour eating window (from 12pm-7pm).

    I first tried a diet of 2,500 consisting of these macros: 50% pro (313g)/ 45% fat (125g)/ 5% carbs (31g)
    This diet was used for a week and did not show any weight loss, even though I was technically in ketosis via urine strips

    The following week I increased fat and decreased protein of 2,500kcals consisting of these macros: 35% pro (219g)/ 60% fat (167g)/ 5% carbs (31g)
    This diet didn't yield weight loss either, even though I have been in ketosis via urine strips.

    The attached images include the foods that I choose and the extensive documentation i have kept in order to see what is working. Interesting enough, my blood sugar has stayed below 85mg/dl fasting and post prandial.

    Stats:
    Age: 26
    Weight:267
    Hight: 6'3''
    BF:~20-25%
    BMR (Laboratory tested): 2750kcals
    Testosterone levels as of a year ago: 1,300 mg/dl (HIGH-natural)
    T3: normal on the low side
    Body type: endomorph
    No supplementation

    I seriously need some help. I have put in the work and effort, but am not seeing any progress. I have been trying to loose the body fat without any type of supplementation. Please share any advise you may have. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calling all Ketogenic experts! Lab work included.-screen-shot-2014-08-12-8.17.22-am.png   Calling all Ketogenic experts! Lab work included.-img_8645.jpeg   Calling all Ketogenic experts! Lab work included.-screen-shot-2014-08-12-8.18.18-am.png  
    Last edited by noexcuses88; 08-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

  2. #2
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,424
    Blog Entries
    162
    Congratulations on a very detailed log, really excellent! I am by no stretch an expert in the area and will only ask how you are measuring progress in this case? Is it by weight only or by some fat measuring method? Any pictures from today and from three weeks ago?

  3. #3
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Congratulations on a very detailed log, really excellent! I am by no stretch an expert in the area and will only ask how you are measuring progress in this case? Is it by weight only or by some fat measuring method? Any pictures from today and from three weeks ago?
    Thank-you. It is disappointing that I am not seeing any changes. I am measuring progress through weight changes. I haven't taken pictures yet. I can get a picture up today if that is needed. I also have taken neck/arm/waist/hip measurements as of Friday 8/8/14. I will take new measurements on this friday to assess change.
    Last edited by noexcuses88; 08-12-2014 at 08:50 AM.

  4. #4
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,424
    Blog Entries
    162
    I would skip the scale altogether. Do you have a chance of a bod pod or dexa scan? The picture is a great idea, make sure you look closely at specific parts of the body and take a new shot in a few weeks to see if something changed.

  5. #5
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182
    Finances are a bit tough to get to a dexa or bodpod. I'll upload a picture tomorrow morning upon waking. I have been doing this for basically a month and haven't seen any numerical progress, which is discouraging. I rather not waste my time if it isn't going to work. Simply put, my BMR (which was calculated professionally) is less than I am eating. So theoretically, I should be able to lay on my ass all day and see weight loss.

  6. #6
    Kozmo's Avatar
    Kozmo is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    194
    It will work. It's starts working more and more it is just slow to start.

    Ime that is

  7. #7
    Kozmo's Avatar
    Kozmo is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    194
    Also remember about visceral fat.

  8. #8
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
    It will work. It's starts working more and more it is just slow to start.

    Ime that is
    Thanks. How long did it take for you?

  9. #9
    Kozmo's Avatar
    Kozmo is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    194
    Maybe more the a month to get going where it is easier to notice. I had no idea how fat I was lol. Hang in there you will be shredded in no time. Hardest part besides trying to get all my macros from fat and protein was carb withdrawal


    Also I did the gangster keto diet. That means I got to zero carbs man was that a challenge

  10. #10
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,424
    Blog Entries
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
    Also remember about visceral fat.
    Awesome. Totally forgot about this.

  11. #11
    GGot FFina? is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    256
    I too am on something similar to the Keto diet. Except i eat everything i want on Sunday, which helps me out a lot. I started on Jun. 1st at 232lbs and 24%BF and am currently sitting at 210lbs and 12.5% BF.

    I found that the last 4 weeks i only dropped 5 lbs but went down from around 16% to my current 12.5%bf. For this reason i have stopped caring too much what the scale says and pay more attention to my BF% instead.

    Keep at it dude. I have tried many different diets and for me, nothing comes close to a extremely low carb diet like im currently doing.

  12. #12
    pushit_05's Avatar
    pushit_05 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    97
    Idk how much cardio your doing but I always walk 2.5 speed/2.0 incline 30min after I lift (6 days a week). Cardio seems to take the fat off me faster vs lifting but I do not like it when it effects my lifts so I take it slow. Keto seems to be a long run kind of thing esp if your not protein fasting (which I hate). I also carb up every other week as that seems to slow me down. Interestingly enough, keeping my carbs between 50-90 a day sped things up also. I lift at night and then eat all my carbs post workout.

  13. #13
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by GGot FFina? View Post
    I too am on something similar to the Keto diet. Except i eat everything i want on Sunday, which helps me out a lot. I started on Jun. 1st at 232lbs and 24%BF and am currently sitting at 210lbs and 12.5% BF.

    I found that the last 4 weeks i only dropped 5 lbs but went down from around 16% to my current 12.5%bf. For this reason i have stopped caring too much what the scale says and pay more attention to my BF% instead.

    Keep at it dude. I have tried many different diets and for me, nothing comes close to a extremely low carb diet like im currently doing.
    Seems like the diet is working well for you. Congratulations on your incredible weight loss. What are your macros set at? And how many calories are you getting in a day? I am debating dropping the calories lower than 2500, but I am not sure if that is right thing to do considering my TDEE.
    Last edited by noexcuses88; 08-14-2014 at 09:26 AM.

  14. #14
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by pushit_05 View Post
    Idk how much cardio your doing but I always walk 2.5 speed/2.0 incline 30min after I lift (6 days a week). Cardio seems to take the fat off me faster vs lifting but I do not like it when it effects my lifts so I take it slow. Keto seems to be a long run kind of thing esp if your not protein fasting (which I hate). I also carb up every other week as that seems to slow me down. Interestingly enough, keeping my carbs between 50-90 a day sped things up also. I lift at night and then eat all my carbs post workout.
    Interesting. I realized that if I eat over 40 grams of carbs, my body removes itself from ketosis (carbs from veggies and meats). However, I return the next day with proper dieting. I figured I would hop on the CKD diet once I become keto-adapted (which is I believe will happen once I am 6-8 weeks in).
    Last edited by noexcuses88; 08-14-2014 at 09:25 AM.

  15. #15
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,424
    Blog Entries
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by noexcuses88 View Post
    Interesting. I realized that if I eat over 40 grams of carbs, my body removes itself from ketosis (carbs from veggies and meats). However, I return the next day with proper dieting. I figured I would hop on the CKD diet once I become keto-adapted (which is I believe will happen once I am 6-8 weeks in).
    Wow, that is super interesting. I have never tried it in 10g increments to see where my breaking point is but I always try to stay as close to 0 as possible and then just carb-up.

    I am trying this TKD thing I found on reddit and it seems to work well. Only used it for a couple of weeks though.

    Here is a quote from it:

    The formula for this variation of TKD is:Take this between 15-30 minutes before lifting:
    5g Creatine Monohydrate
    15 g MCT Oil in the form of pure MCT Oil or Coconut Oil (1 Tablespoon)
    15g Carbs - high glycemic, easily absorbed.
    Strong Coffee (as delivery method)
    After lifting, you should consume BCAA's or 20-30g lean protein (can be any source).
    Avoid fat for at least 2 hours

  16. #16
    noexcuses88's Avatar
    noexcuses88 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Wow, that is super interesting. I have never tried it in 10g increments to see where my breaking point is but I always try to stay as close to 0 as possible and then just carb-up.

    I am trying this TKD thing I found on reddit and it seems to work well. Only used it for a couple of weeks though.

    Here is a quote from it:
    What results did you get from that protocol?

  17. #17
    tarmyg's Avatar
    tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,424
    Blog Entries
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by noexcuses88 View Post
    What results did you get from that protocol?
    Workout intensity have gone up. I do not have an exact number to go with that claim but it is the feeling anyhow.

  18. #18
    GGot FFina? is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by noexcuses88 View Post
    Seems like the diet is working well for you. Congratulations on your incredible weight loss. What are your macros set at? And how many calories are you getting in a day? I am debating dropping the calories lower than 2500, but I am not sure if that is right thing to do considering my TDEE.
    I wish i could get more into detail but dont really pay too much attention to the numbers except for, protein and carbs. I eat 8 meals a day, which consist of a lean protein (fish, 99% fat free chicken, 99%fat free turkey, or a lean cut of steak) and a 1/2 cup of broccoli with my first 4 meals.
    2 of those meals are 50G pro/0G carb shakes. This is how i start my diet then adjust it from here. I add or subtract a bit of chicken with each meal depending on how my results are coming.
    I also do no cardio at the gym and instead workout at a pace where i dont stop much for the 2 hours at the gym. This makes me sweat like someone on a cardio machine and helps out great for me.

    Good luck dude!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •