Thread: Protein

Roughneck82 is offline Associate Member

Protein

At what point is protein intake to high? Is 2grams per lean body mass to much? Is 1.5 just a starting point?

Dougiefresh7707 is offline Senior Member
    1.5 is fine 2 is a little high in my opinion but for myself I'm on a lower carb diet so there fore I make up my macros by adding more protein with puts me at about 1.75 per lb of lbm

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, was just wandering if that was high. Doing 45/30/25 380p 240c 90f

What are your stats that's a lot of protein?

6'2" 252 13-14 bf

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougiefresh7707 View Post
    1.5 is fine 2 is a little high in my opinion but for myself I'm on a lower carb diet so there fore I make up my macros by adding more protein with puts me at about 1.75 per lb of lbm
    this

between 1.5 and 2 grams per pound of lbm. the more intense your daily routines, and the more frequently per week you do them is the deciding factor on how many grams per lb of protein you should consume

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    You really have to watch your hydration while taking so much protein. There have been a few studies that say that the more protein you take the less your body will be hydrated. You have to watch your blood urea nitrogen levels. Protein can be hard on your kidneys and it takes more water to get rid of the extra protein your body does not need. So depending on "ones" personal need for protein and "ones" personal medical conditions will effect how much protein is needed.

RangerDanger830 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have gone up to 2g/lb and I found a lot of it was going to waste. I believe 1.5g/lb is a good starting point and just find out what works for you over the years.

Here is some literature supporting the hypothesis that high-protein diets are beneficial to things like blood pressure and are not detrimental to kidney function. Although, there are plenty of studies that show high-protein diets are not good for people with kidney disease, so there is no doubt it does make the kidneys work harder, just not too much harder. You be the judge though, just don't fall prey to the marketing gimmicks of protein companies.

Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Dietary protein intake and renal function

JISSN | Full text | High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman
    this between 1.5 and 2 grams per pound of lbm. the more intense your daily routines, and the more frequently per week you do them is the deciding factor on how many grams per lb of protein you should consume

Yes definitely I also workout 4-5 times a week and run 4 times in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck82
    6'2" 252 13-14 bf
    Man I wish haha I'm a short stocky little ****er lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTahl View Post
    You really have to watch your hydration while taking so much protein. There have been a few studies that say that the more protein you take the less your body will be hydrated. You have to watch your blood urea nitrogen levels. Protein can be hard on your kidneys and it takes more water to get rid of the extra protein your body does not need. So depending on "ones" personal need for protein and "ones" personal medical conditions will effect how much protein is needed.
    I've recently started keeping track of my water, I know now I wasn't getting enough. I think that was the rout to all my injuries also. Now I'm at a minimum of 1 1/2 gal per day. I work out at 4am and on intense days like legs I get a full gal in before I leave the gym. I feel much better. Before was drinking a pro shake before gym and wouldn't drink any think while working out

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    this

between 1.5 and 2 grams per pound of lbm. the more intense your daily routines, and the more frequently per week you do them is the deciding factor on how many grams per lb of protein you should consume
    So far after 2 1/2 weeks at 380pro 240c and 85-95f, I feel good, so going to stick with it and revaluate after another 2 weeks, good blood work for my post cycle set up in 4 more weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Roughneck82 View Post
    So far after 2 1/2 weeks at 380pro 240c and 85-95f, I feel good, so going to stick with it and revaluate after another 2 weeks, good blood work for my post cycle set up in 4 more weeks
    I don't usually worry too much about too much protein. I target calories, and focus on at least 40% of calories from protein. then I eat sufficient carbs (mostly fast burning from fruit now) to keep me in a good mood and no fatigue in the gym. Which for me is still around 40% or so. And the fat is not something I target unless too high. Fat is, for me, a by product from eating milk and whole eggs (when I eat whole eggs, mostly liquid egg whites here lately). So this means I never eat peanut butter, nuts, or anything with a high fat content (again, except whole eggs)

If all this protein were as scary as the BS Med industry tells us, then we would ALL have kidney problems. Who here has kidney problems from eating too much protein? Sorry, I haven't seen any threads on this lately. We are, as a group, fairly healthy, so this isn't an issue.

jesse4466 is offline Member
    I don't usually worry too much about too much protein. I target calories, and focus on at least 40% of calories from protein. then I eat sufficient carbs (mostly fast burning from fruit now) to keep me in a good mood and no fatigue in the gym. Which for me is still around 40% or so. And the fat is not something I target unless too high. Fat is, for me, a by product from eating milk and whole eggs (when I eat whole eggs, mostly liquid egg whites here lately). So this means I never eat peanut butter, nuts, or anything with a high fat content (again, except whole eggs) If all this protein were as scary as the BS Med industry tells us, then we would ALL have kidney problems. Who here has kidney problems from eating too much protein? Sorry, I haven't seen any threads on this lately. We are, as a group, fairly healthy, so this isn't an issue.

Is 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat ok? That's what mine have been lately with the goal of muscle growth, of course.

rookie1983 is offline New Member
    40/40/20 is usually a standard starting point

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    I don't usually worry too much about too much protein. I target calories, and focus on at least 40% of calories from protein. then I eat sufficient carbs (mostly fast burning from fruit now) to keep me in a good mood and no fatigue in the gym. Which for me is still around 40% or so. And the fat is not something I target unless too high. Fat is, for me, a by product from eating milk (I meant MEAT) and whole eggs (when I eat whole eggs, mostly liquid egg whites here lately). So this means I never eat peanut butter, nuts, or anything with a high fat content (again, except whole eggs)

If all this protein were as scary as the BS Med industry tells us, then we would ALL have kidney problems. Who here has kidney problems from eating too much protein? Sorry, I haven't seen any threads on this lately. We are, as a group, fairly healthy, so this isn't an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse4466 View Post
    Is 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat ok? That's what mine have been lately with the goal of muscle growth, of course.
    You tell me. Are you hitting your minimum protein requirement of 1.5grams per pound of LBM? And if you are trying to grow muscle, then you would need more.

So the answer is............?

You tell me. Are you hitting your minimum protein requirement of 1.5grams per pound of LBM? And if you are trying to grow muscle, then you would need more. So the answer is............?
    Protein is usually a little more then 1 gram per pound currently. I can definitely increase that and it would push the protein to 40% and fats to prob 20% and carbs to 40%. So my focus will be to get it to 1.5 now instead of just above 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse4466 View Post
    Protein is usually a little more then 1 gram per pound currently. I can definitely increase that and it would push the protein to 40% and fats to prob 20% and carbs to 40%. So my focus will be to get it to 1.5 now instead of just above 1.
    easy question, and good answer

Hey roman, does powder protein raise creatinine levels in the blood more than natural protein? My number was 1.51 range is from .6-1.35 and my blood urea nitrogen was 27 range 7-25. I've pretty much cut out all protein sups but have a quest bar with breakfast. Haven't done anymore bloods since stopped, schedule in 4 more weeks

easy question, and good answer
    Thx, made the change

Thread Information