john283 is offline Junior Member

How does my diet look? I need improvements.

Hi, I'm 19 years old, 5"11, and 150lb at 12% body fat. I started lifting 1 year ago at 126 lb at 13% body fat. This is what my diet looks like.

1) 5 white eggs + shake (cup milk + banana + scoop protein powder+ tbsp peanut butter+ tbsp olive oil) --> 550 calories/65g protein/47g carbs
    2) Beans and roti --> 300 calories/10g protein/ 60g carbs
    3) Brown rice 1/2 cup --> 340 calories/8g protein/ 70g carbs
    4) cup water mixed with whey protein scoop --> 120calories/25g protein/ 3g carbs
    4) Sweet potato and banana --> 210 calories/2g protein/55g carbs
    5) Protein patty + roll/lettuce/tomato/cheese --> 480 calories/21g protein/55g carbs
    6) peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat + cup water mixed with whey protein scoop --> 640 calories/49g carbs/ 39g protein
    7) cup cottage cheese --> 180 calories/20g protein/10g carbs

I might have typed some in incorrectly, all the numbers get to me lol. The total turns out to be:
    2790 calories
    188g protein
    346g carbs

I want to bump calories up to 3000+ and cut carbs down because I had a blood test and my A1C was average instead of low and I still don't eat a lot so I'm afraid if I bump carbs up more, it'll increase. Can anyone help me with what food I should substitute in?

I can not eat chicken, I'm vegeterian.

That's my improvement so far but I haven't gained weight in the past 2 months so I need help with my diet. Thank you!
    Last edited by john283; 08-13-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Bump, anyone? I want to get some ideas for tweaking my diet before classes begin again.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    45min for a bump? Just slow down a little! I doubt you lost muscle in those 45 minutes.

I'll leave it to some vegetarian to comment on the diet. I really have no idea how to eat like that. What kind of vegetarian are you? Meaning, what do you eat?

rookie1983 is offline New Member
    Looks like a lot of protein powder

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    vegans usually get their protein from beans/nuts. since you are eating eggs, you should be all over that. why are you not including the fat grams and % in your macro calc? if you eat sufficient whole eggs, you can skip the BS peanut butter, the BS pbj sandwhich, and if you are vegan, where the fvck are all the veggies?????

your protein intake is too light

I crunched the numbers for you. Your TDEE assuming a moderate activity level is about 2,750 and your MINIMUM protein requirement based on your LBM is 200 grams of protein every day. As light as you are, and you are STILL NOT eating enough protein. This is just to maintain and cover your tissue repair from exercising. But you are skinny and say you want to bulk. So add 500 calories to your TDEE. Based on a 40/40/20 macro split, you will need to consume about 3,300 cals/day, of which 325 grams of protein required. So really, you are only eating almost HALF the protein you need!!

For now, skip the egg whites and focus on whole eggs. Fat content is high, yet the yolk is very nutritious.

Learn to eat like a body builder. If you are a vegan, then be a vegan and eat some veggies boy! If you are not a vegan, then eat some meat! Don't forget your multi and your creatine.

Take another shot at your diet. Include the fat portion of your macros when you tell us your macros per meal and total macros per day.

Good luck!
    ---Roman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	86 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	152516

Thank you for the help, sorry I got impatient haha. I'll start eating some whole eggs and I do eat lettuce tomatoes and fruits but not on a daily basis so I didn't include them.

I really don't know how to get more protein and calories from vegetarian foods. I was thinking about including tofu and soy products but I heard they boost estrogen so I wasn't sure on whether to eat them or not.

I also think I'm going to eat a half cup or a cup of beans a day for more protein.

Any other foods I can put in?

Quote Originally Posted by john283 View Post
    Thank you for the help, sorry I got impatient haha. I'll start eating some whole eggs and I do eat lettuce tomatoes and fruits but not on a daily basis so I didn't include them.

I really don't know how to get more protein and calories from vegetarian foods. I was thinking about including tofu and soy products but I heard they boost estrogen so I wasn't sure on whether to eat them or not.

I also think I'm going to eat a half cup or a cup of beans a day for more protein.

Any other foods I can put in?
    being a vegan adds a layer of complexity us carnivores do not have to deal with.

Remember, beans are NOT a complete protein. Neither are nuts. In fact, vegans MUST mix protein sources to get the complete protein they require. Typical, you would eat beans and nut for a complete source. BUT, if you eat eggs, then just get your protein that way. Eggs are a complete protein, and the egg white is THE BEST pure protein source found in nature. You can get six pints of liquid egg white at Costco for only $8. Each pint contains 50 grams of protein, no fat, no carbs.

And you need creatine. Since you do not eat meat, then the creatine will provide a boost to your performance in the gym.

(never seen a vegan that didn't eat veggies before!)

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    (never seen a vegan that didn't eat veggies before!)
    Never heard of this either. I find it bizarre. Is not veggies and fruit a staple of any vegetarian diet? He is not vegan however TR.

Those are the pints I have actually, I got them from Costco. I microwave a 5 egg whites then eat it.

I'm going to start creatine in about a month's time. I used to take it last year, I took it for three months and I started getting acne and I gained 7 pounds in one week (water weight). I got some stretch marks near my arms and chest and I'm only 150 pounds.

As for food, I'll add in some veggies (good point on being vegetarian without veggies!), and I'll add more eggs and beans. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by john283 View Post
    Those are the pints I have actually, I got them from Costco. I microwave a 5 egg whites then eat it.

I'm going to start creatine in about a month's time. I used to take it last year, I took it for three months and I started getting acne and I gained 7 pounds in one week (water weight). I got some stretch marks near my arms and chest and I'm only 150 pounds.

As for food, I'll add in some veggies (good point on being vegetarian without veggies!), and I'll add more eggs and beans. Thank you
    and no need to cook the liquid egg whites. They are pasturized, and therefore you will not get sick from eating liquid. It goes in the blender, and you can add veggies in there along with fruit, and other things. Suck it up fast, and clean up fast.

NO need to put the blender in the dishwasher. Rinse it out, then half fill with water and a couple of drips of liquid soap and mix it up. Dump it out, rinse it out, and it is clean. Viola! All done in about five minutes.

Thread Information