Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Times Roman

Thread: Losing body fat while gaining muscle

Jcz85 is offline Associate Member

Losing body fat while gaining muscle

I'm 27, skinny-fat ectomorph (if that's a real thing), 185 lbs, ~18% BF, 6 ft. 500mg test/wk

If I carefully watch my carbs in relation to energy output, keep my protein high and my fats low, will I have success building lean muscle while reducing body fat? (Keep in mind I do a fair amount of compound lifts + body weight exercises in a week, also I try to run 20 min of good pace 5-7 times/wk, or bicycle)

I've successfully gone from 18-19% bf to 13-14% bf in two months, but I was hugely calorie deficient. Mostly ate protein and fibrous carbs (raw vegetables). I went from being a big fat guy to having a six pack, but I lost probably as much muscle mass as I did fat (~15 lbs total), so I was skinny and weaker (But still looked good, underwear model-ish)

Of course, I ****ed up and gained back a large amount of fat in my belly, sides, and tits.

That being said, I just lifted probably my best workout tonight, breaking a PR on leg press and hitting close to PR on bench fairly easily. But I look like an accountant with my shirt off.

I'll admit.. my diet sucked ass now that I think about it. I watched that milos sarcev video and he explains it so well.. I was eating carbs then sitting around for hours doing **** all. And I won't even mention how much dairy fat I was eating...

So.... anyone with similar body type lose BF% while gaining lean mass on a 12 wk 500 mg test e/wk cycle? Tell me how you did it and things that will help me

Last edited by Jcz85; 08-18-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Also, I am shooting for 300g of protein/day. If I take roughly 100g of that in protein powder and bar form, will my body still use it efficiently? Or does it need to be digested in meat form to properly repair tissue?

In other words, if my meal is short on the protein intake, I will add a bit of powder to get it to 50g, and also I will take a complete meal that is just protein powder (post workout, before bed). Tonight I had a steak but am out of greek yogurt so I just took 28g of whey isolate in water to make up for what I would have gotten from low fat greek yogurt/cottage cheese. Is this acceptable or not really?

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    eat at TDEE. this is called a recomp. it's a slower process for some compared to bulking and then cutting.

hit the gym 5 times a week, throw in cardio every other day, and you will see results.

Good luck!

===Roman
    Jcz85 likes this.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    The better shape you are in the harder this is to do. When you first start you an do this or when you are extremely out of condition. When you get into decent shape- this is harder to do and less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    The better shape you are in the harder this is to do. When you first start you an do this or when you are extremely out of condition. When you get into decent shape- this is harder to do and less effective.
    I understand, the body probably gets used to the diet and amount of physical activity, so you'd probably need to do something drastic to see results.

What would the best drastic measure be? Try a cutting cycle? Get down to an ideal BF%, then start back up with lean mass gaining afterwards?

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    Read the stickies, either lean bulk or cutting.

Do as Roman suggested.

After doing that, come up with a daily plan with macros.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    Read the stickies, either lean bulk or cutting.

Do as Roman suggested.

After doing that, come up with a daily plan with macros.
    I have

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcz85 View Post
    I understand, the body probably gets used to the diet and amount of physical activity, so you'd probably need to do something drastic to see results.

What would the best drastic measure be? Try a cutting cycle? Get down to an ideal BF%, then start back up with lean mass gaining afterwards?
    That would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcz85 View Post
    I have
    well post up a diet with macros and we all can tweak it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    well post up a diet with macros and we all can tweak it for you.
    Brkfast:

50g protein
    20-60g carb (depending on how much work I will be doing)

Lunch:

50g protein
    20-60g carb (depending on how much work I will be doing)

Meal 1 hour before workout:

30g protein
    60g carb

Pre workout Vitargo:

35g carb

During workout Vitargo + BCAA:

35g carb

Post Workout (Immediately):

35g carb
    50g protein

Dinner:

50g protein
    Minimal carbs (10g if possible - I do jack shit at night)

Snack:

30g protein
    Minimal Carbs (whatever carbs the 0% greek yogurt has)

Bedtime Shake:

30g casein protein

Carbs mentioned are starchy complex carbs... Fibrous carbs which take more energy to digest than calories they posses are not mentioned. At night is when I eat raw vegetables (with dinner)

Fats are not mentioned because I will be shooting for under 100g/day. Fish oils and olive oils will be the only added fats (also mayo with tuna), and any fats in my low net-carb protein bars. All other fats are existing in protein source (meat)
    Last edited by Jcz85; 08-19-2014 at 09:53 AM.

you are still winging it and not narrowing down your macros/cals, so everyday is different and not consistent. therefore, you never know how much you are actually eating. 20-60g of carbs is big difference. 20g x 4 = 80 cals 60g x 4- 240 cals. 160 cals difference a day, over two weeks adds up quickly!

My understanding is you only need to eat as much carbs as you are going to use if you are trying to reduce body fat. And keep the protein high to allow for muscle growth.

Thread Information