The KFC Guy is offline New Member

Bodybuilding in the Army??

I'm leaving for the army in early 2015 (January or early February) and I'm just worried about maintaining a bodybuilders lifestyle.

First off they send me to do 80 days military training. There is no gym on the training base at Kapooka so I will be out for a good 2-2 and a half months without attending the gym.... I'm going to f#cking die................ Will I lose a good deal off my muscle mass during the 80 days training period?

Also how the hell am I going to maintain a bodybuilders diet.. Going from eating 5-6 meals a day to a standard 3? Of course I will eat BIG during these meal times to make up for the opposed meals I'm eating at the moment.. but I still won't maintain the diet I want.
    Another questions. Will they let me supplement in the army? The usual creatine, multi vitamins, whey, casein, BCAA etc...

Anyone that has experience or has had a lifestyle in the army can you please try and help me out as much as possible to how I can maintain a bodybuilders life style in the military and good as possible!

Thanks everyone in advance to your responses.

(Btw it's the Australian Defence Force)

kyawookie is offline New Member
    I was in the United states army and it's hard to tell what's your job? If your something combat arms your going to be out "in the field" a lot doing training exercises and eating like shit with no gym. If your something like I was (intelligence) I sat behind a desk for the most part and was able to easily keep up my BB life style. As far as supplements go... when you get to your unit (after your job training) just ask your platoon SGT for the banned substance list and they will give it to you. When you get to your unit you can eat at the chow hall for the 3 main meals and just add snacks in between that's what I did. It's going to be tough but it's possible. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know it's different countries but it can't be completely different.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by The KFC Guy
    I'm leaving for the army in early 2015 (January or early February) and I'm just worried about maintaining a bodybuilders lifestyle.

First off they send me to do 80 days military training. There is no gym on the training base at Kapooka so I will be out for a good 2-2 and a half months without attending the gym.... I'm going to f#cking die................ Will I lose a good deal off my muscle mass during the 80 days training period?

Also how the hell am I going to maintain a bodybuilders diet.. Going from eating 5-6 meals a day to a standard 3? Of course I will eat BIG during these meal times to make up for the opposed meals I'm eating at the moment.. but I still won't maintain the diet I want.
    Another questions. Will they let me supplement in the army? The usual creatine, multi vitamins, whey, casein, BCAA etc...

Anyone that has experience or has had a lifestyle in the army can you please try and help me out as much as possible to how I can maintain a bodybuilders life style in the military and good as possible!

Thanks everyone in advance to your responses.

(Btw it's the Australian Defence Force)
    Ask euroholic. He's Aussie and former military.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    We sometimes must adapt our goals to fit our environment.

You have little control over gym availability
    You have little control over what you can cherry pick in the difac

I think your best bet is to modify your goals for a few years so that your goals align with the mission and your environment. You may have to forego a big bulky frame for a few years and focus on being less bulky, more lean, with high levels of endurance.

This is what you signed up for.

Now complete your mission son!

The KFC Guy is offline New Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I'm enlisting as a rifleman so will be doing a lot of field work. It's a shame that I will likely lose a fair share of the muscle I've worked so hard to get but I do want to be a solider and NEED to have exceptional fitness. I guess I'll have to keep in mind if I were in battle with a bodybuilders physique I'd just be an easy target for a bullet

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The KFC Guy View Post
    Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I'm enlisting as a rifleman so will be doing a lot of field work. It's a shame that I will likely lose a fair share of the muscle I've worked so hard to get but I do want to be a solider and NEED to have exceptional fitness. I guess I'll have to keep in mind if I were in battle with a bodybuilders physique I'd just be an easy target for a bullet
    A body builder is typically not that of a survivalist nor a fighter. You need a full on functional physique, one that will work well under stress. You need to balance strength with endurance and speed.

Thread Information