MBOS is offline Junior Member

Newbie seeking advice

I'm 54 years old, 328lbs at 6-4. Lifetime lifter except for the last 4 years haven't been consistent, depression. Recently started HRT and have brought my weight down from 366. Normal weight for me while at my best was 315, still too heavy I know.

Feeling much better after the weight loss so far but always looking for more. Need to up cardio I know, not throwing around the heavy weights any longer but focusing on intensity. Back steady in gym for 4-5 months now.

The only diet I have had success with is Atkins or some form of low carb. Would like to cut another 30 pounds at least and, of course, I'd like to do it yesterday. Suggestions? Advice? I wish I could say I eat clean protein but truth is I'm a red meat and eggs guy. Unfortunately can't stomach fowl.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    welcome! what is your bodyfat percentage?

Hello Cajun, I have no idea. Honestly, afraid to find out. I have a lot of work to do and have never been measured. What/where is the best method?

there is a stickie that has pictures of percentages. try to choose which one you are closest to. i will go bump it for you

Sticky? So sorry, dealing with a computer illiterate. I'm gonna guess 20-25% cringing.

Quote Originally Posted by MBOS
    Sticky? So sorry, dealing with a computer illiterate. I'm gonna guess 20-25% cringing.
    It's where you posted the first time and I responded. It's with all those other threads, they are at the top of this section

Ok, found the thread by girlygymrat, not sure that's what you refer to as a stickie but based on her pics and the criteria I'd say I'm more around the 25% maybe a little below? I do have some definition in shoulders, arms and chest and belly does not hang over belt. Do also have fat in the pecs along with lat area and love handles. Roman ripped my ass on my other thread but no one can be any harder on me than I am myself. Openly trying to do better. Help?

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If you are trying to lose weight, you just need to keep eating in a caloric deficit (eat less calories than you burn) use a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal to track what you're eating.

myfitnesspal will guess your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and then set your goal to lose weight, and it'll give you an estimate of how much you can eat daily, follow it for a few weeks and if your not losing weight, reduce your calories by 100-200 every week.

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Do you feel like eating low carb is sustainable in your life? If not then you need to look at alternative ways as you will only burn fat for short time and then add it all back.

Thank you guys, I get the calorie deficit and definitely am making progress, down 38lbs. Have used myfitnesspal in the past as well as Weight Watchers. As for low carb being sustainable for life, I don't know but I'm thinking if I get to a healthier weight then switch to counting calories I believe I have the ability to sustain it now.
    The last 5-6 years have been devastating with the loss of my father and then brother at 52. I caved and depression kicked my ass. That along with the fact that my T was probably bottomed out long before I was finally tested and put on TRT. I have a renewed lust for life now so just trying to head in the right direction.
    Thank you again, very much appreciate any further info. Nobody eats as well as guys on this site.

Thread Information