Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By teacherman
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: Fats

teacherman is offline Junior Member

Fats

Hi guys!

Probably a really dumb question

I worked out my macros as 306/306 (grams) carbs and protein and 62 of fat. I'm having trouble getting the ratio correct. I'm ending up getting 102 grams of fat for example. Is this going to have a large impact on my gains and physique?

Just to elaborate further this means I'm missing the other macros slightly
    Last edited by teacherman; 08-25-2014 at 10:44 PM.

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    What are your complete stats and what is your goal?

5 ft 9 74.6 kgs 23 year old training naturally trying to get to 79kgs at 10 % (pipe dream I know) training 5 days a week using baselines program

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    No it's not going to make a big difference given your total calories are the same. If you are still eating 306g carbs and protein, then going 40g over in fat is going to make quite a difference.

Okay excellent thank you for that I will still cut out the peanut butter I think sadly haha
    Khazima likes this.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
    Hi guys!

I worked out my macros as 306/306 (grams) carbs and protein and 62 of fat. I'm having trouble getting the ratio correct. I'm ending up getting 102 grams of fat for example. Is this going to have a large impact on my gains and physique?

fats are a trick subject. in and of themselves, nothing to avoid. but the problem is you are limiting your caloric intake, and pushing hard to get your protein intake where it needs to be. So since fats are so calorically dense, you need to limit your fat intake to keep calories in line. If you do not, keeping protein the same, you offset is carbs, which by limiting those, can significantly impact gym performance. Keep in mind, we as a community, demand a lot from our bodies. So we say to limit fat intake to 20%. It's a good round number, and works well on average.

Which brings up another problem. There is so much fat in what we eat. Eggs is a significant source of fat. So is red meat. And by eating normal things with fat content, at levels high enough to satisfy your protein requirement, chances are, you are blowing the doors off that 20 percent fat target. Which means you have to be careful with the type of protein you eat. Which is why I focus so heavily on liquid egg whites and skinless chicken breast.

The other thing I do is not worry so much about any one particular day. Instead, I look to my ten day average. If your ten day average is on target, then not to worry about some minor daily fluctuations.

Be patient. You'll get there....

---Roman

Quote Originally Posted by Times Roman View Post
    fats are a trick subject. in and of themselves, nothing to avoid. but the problem is you are limiting your caloric intake, and pushing hard to get your protein intake where it needs to be. So since fats are so calorically dense, you need to limit your fat intake to keep calories in line. If you do not, keeping protein the same, you offset is carbs, which by limiting those, can significantly impact gym performance. Keep in mind, we as a community, demand a lot from our bodies. So we say to limit fat intake to 20%. It's a good round number, and works well on average.

Which brings up another problem. There is so much fat in what we eat. Eggs is a significant source of fat. So is red meat. And by eating normal things with fat content, at levels high enough to satisfy your protein requirement, chances are, you are blowing the doors off that 20 percent fat target. Which means you have to be careful with the type of protein you eat. Which is why I focus so heavily on liquid egg whites and skinless chicken breast.

The other thing I do is not worry so much about any one particular day. Instead, I look to my ten day average. If your ten day average is on target, then not to worry about some minor daily fluctuations.

Be patient. You'll get there....

---Roman
    Great advice, also why is your protein so high? You only really need 1g per lb of LBM, it's easier to just go with 1g per Pound of bodyweight but if you're struggling with calories, stop worrying so much about protein. I'm currently on 180 protein 380 carbs and 80 fat, at 160lb, if I get less than 180 I don't worry, I don't worry if it gets as low as 120-130 while I'm bulking.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Great advice, also why is your protein so high? You only really need 1g per lb of LBM, it's easier to just go with 1g per Pound of bodyweight but if you're struggling with calories, stop worrying so much about protein. I'm currently on 180 protein 380 carbs and 80 fat, at 160lb, if I get less than 180 I don't worry, I don't worry if it gets as low as 120-130 while I'm bulking.
    Hey guys thanks heaps for that. Protein is just at 40:40 ratio with carbs I have considered dropping it slightly and going for a higher amount of carbs as I am working obviously on progressive overload and a mix of strength and hypertrophy days.

TR- when you're going over a ten day cycle are you just calculating what the macros should be as a total of ten days or more lookin at an average over ten days

Hey guys thanks heaps for that. Protein is just at 40:40 ratio with carbs I have considered dropping it slightly and going for a higher amount of carbs as I am working obviously on progressive overload and a mix of strength and hypertrophy days.

TR- when you're going over a ten day cycle are you just calculating what the macros should be as a total of ten days or more lookin at an average over ten days

Don't rely on what most nutritionists tell you. They are proclaiming this for the population at large, which for them, is adequate. But weightlifters degrade muscle fiber/tissue by virtue of their lifestyle, and need additional protein to offset this degradation, PLUS the amount they need to grow more tissue fiber mass. I generally advise 1.5gr/protein per one lb of lbm at a minimum. Don't worry about kidney damage. Most weight lifters are HEALTHY with no kidney problems. If excess protein intake were such an issue for our community, you would see threads all the time that worry about what kidney support they need to sustain their protein intake. I can't ever remember seeing such a thread, and if you look at my thread count, I've looked a lot. Don't always believe what the nutritionists tell you. Remember, it is they that were telling us low fat diets were good for you.....

I track macros per day, and then I also total that up and track macros per ten days. So I do both. If you like, I have a macro calculator that may make it easier for you to do this. Pm me if you have an interest

Yeah I was under the impression 1.5 was the way to go! I was getting in 1.5 grams of protein at least but falling short on carbs as well would probably explain a lot haha

Yeah I was under the impression 1.5 was the way to go! I was getting in 1.5 grams of protein at least but falling short on carbs as well would probably explain a lot haha
    even the LEF movement (anti aging) says those that exercise need 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM.

But do most of us fit the target profile that the LEF community made that comment to?

For most, that is the 50+ crowd. And most of them are into mild strength training and cardio. Definitely not into body building. So if you want to be a body builder, you need to eat like a body builder. Which is to say, at a MINIMUM, 1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM.

See, the main reason nutritionists tell us that excess protein strains the kidneys is to do the fact that high protein intake can dehydrate the body. But beyond that, and given proper hydration, the claim "high protein intake stresses the kidneys" is pure bull shit. And definitely NOT a concern to 99+% of us here given proper hydration.

So, everyone, please be careful with governmental health claims. For the most part, it's politically driven and not driven by science.

Sorry for the wake up call. But it's true.

---Roman

Blog Entries
    So, everyone, please be careful with governmental health claims. For the most part, it's politically driven and not driven by science.
    ^^^ This x 100. Just look at how the 7 countries study turned everyone off fat which one Senator took as the best "fact" he have ever heard because he was from a grain growing region and now we are in a obesity cluster****.
    Khazima likes this.

even the LEF movement (anti aging) says those that exercise need 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM.

But do most of us fit the target profile that the LEF community made that comment to?

For most, that is the 50+ crowd. And most of them are into mild strength training and cardio. Definitely not into body building. So if you want to be a body builder, you need to eat like a body builder. Which is to say, at a MINIMUM, 1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM.

See, the main reason nutritionists tell us that excess protein strains the kidneys is to do the fact that high protein intake can dehydrate the body. But beyond that, and given proper hydration, the claim "high protein intake stresses the kidneys" is pure bull shit. And definitely NOT a concern to 99+% of us here given proper hydration.

Sorry for the wake up call. But it's true.

---Roman
    There's studies disproving the emphasis on protein, I'm definitely not worried about health problems, it's protein lol but there's studies (i think posted in the protein thread) showing that even for bodybuilders 0.7g per lb of Bodyweight is adequate.

Juced_porkchop is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hi guys!

I add olive oil to everything, fats are goof, healthy ones. just watch carbs and cals if cutting.. IMO

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Don't rely on what most nutritionists tell you. They are proclaiming this for the population at large, which for them, is adequate. But weightlifters degrade muscle fiber/tissue by virtue of their lifestyle, and need additional protein to offset this degradation, PLUS the amount they need to grow more tissue fiber mass. I generally advise 1.5gr/protein per one lb of lbm at a minimum. Don't worry about kidney damage. Most weight lifters are HEALTHY with no kidney problems. If excess protein intake were such an issue for our community, you would see threads all the time that worry about what kidney support they need to sustain their protein intake. I can't ever remember seeing such a thread, and if you look at my thread count, I've looked a lot. Don't always believe what the nutritionists tell you. Remember, it is they that were telling us low fat diets were good for you.....

I track macros per day, and then I also total that up and track macros per ten days. So I do both. If you like, I have a macro calculator that may make it easier for you to do this. Pm me if you have an interest
    The 1gram/lb lbm figure already takes this consideration of degradation due to lifestyle into account. No one here mentioned kidney health but 1.5g/lb lbm is still an excessive amount that's not needed even by body builders. Especially if you consider bulking since protein requirements go down while bulking.

Quote Originally Posted by Docd187123 View Post
    The 1gram/lb lbm figure already takes this consideration of degradation due to lifestyle into account. No one here mentioned kidney health but 1.5g/lb lbm is still an excessive amount that's not needed even by body builders. Especially if you consider bulking since protein requirements go down while bulking.
    Can you elaborate on that last sentence?

Can you elaborate on that last sentence?
    Your body utilises more of the protein as energy when you're in a deficit. So it uses less when your bulking and uses the carbs/fat over the protein, leaving the excess protein for da musoooools. Sorry if I made that more confusing then it needs to be lol

Blog Entries
    Your body utilises more of the protein as energy when you're in a deficit.
    This do not sound correct to me. Why would the body, selectively, use more protein just because you are eating at a deficit!

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    This do not sound correct to me. Why would the body, selectively, use more protein just because you are eating at a deficit!
    Carbs are your bodies primary source of energy, second being fat, and if there's none of that left to burn, it goes to the proteins, it's a bit more complicated then that, but that's the gist of it.

Blog Entries
    Carbs are your bodies primary source of energy, second being fat, and if there's none of that left to burn, it goes to the proteins, it's a bit more complicated then that, but that's the gist of it.
    Happy you clarified that as you made it sound like you would burn more protein by simply being in a deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Happy you clarified that as you made it sound like you would burn more protein by simply being in a deficit.
    My bad haha I thought I put it in a pretty confusing way :/

Thread Information