Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Roman's Protein Corner - Questions, Concerns, Comments............

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal Me In View Post
    Ok, I'm still trying to understand. If the body only needs 1g/lb and you consume 1.5g/lb what happens to the extra protein? Does it simply get used as energy? Does it get expelled?

I get that everybody is different I'm just trying to figure out what will happen if I cut my protein intake. If the body only needs 1g/lb does that mean cutting my protein intake to that number from 1.5g/lb will have no effect.

I guess a better way to ask the question is, does this mean that taking more protein doesn't mean more muscle built? In other words, you will see the same results from less protein?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this because I've believed the whole "1.5-2g/lb" thing for years.
    Excess protein won't build any extra muscle than adequate protein will. The protein that your body doesn't use is used as energy.

TR had a really good point that since there's no harm in having excess protein but there is inferior results in having too little, you might as well have a little more over the risk of not having enough.

All the extra protein your body doesn't need basically turns into expensive carbs lol.

Deal Me In is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Excess protein won't build any extra muscle than adequate protein will. The protein that your body doesn't use is used as energy.

TR had a really good point that since there's no harm in having excess protein but there is inferior results in having too little, you might as well have a little more over the risk of not having enough.

All the extra protein your body doesn't need basically turns into expensive carbs lol.
    Ok, that makes sense. What I'm struggling with is applying this to my diet. I currently eat 300g/day. That 1.5g/lb. If I cut down to 200g/day that would be taking 400 calories out of my diet which basically puts me at maintenance. I'm not real comfortable adding the 400 back in with carbs. So how do I square that circle?

Do I just continue to eat the extra protein to keep my calorie count up? That seems silly, and as you said, expensive. But if I drop the 400 calories will I continue to gain weight at maintenance?

Just when I thought I had it all figured out............

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been away from this thread intentionally. It's given me a lot of food for thought, and I have some theories. I'll start another thread soon as it will tangent with this thread.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Please comment on this thread regarding my theory here

Protein intake theory revised and abandoning 40/40/20???

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal Me In View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. What I'm struggling with is applying this to my diet. I currently eat 300g/day. That 1.5g/lb. If I cut down to 200g/day that would be taking 400 calories out of my diet which basically puts me at maintenance. I'm not real comfortable adding the 400 back in with carbs. So how do I square that circle?

Do I just continue to eat the extra protein to keep my calorie count up? That seems silly, and as you said, expensive. But if I drop the 400 calories will I continue to gain weight at maintenance?

Just when I thought I had it all figured out............
    TR made an extremely informative thread that answers all your questions just now ^

Kozmo is offline Associate Member
    The reason there is this protein myth is to sell you protein. You don't know any of their real diets. You see what they eat on camera. The movie is paid for by the supp company. Hence, the plug and ad for it. Bodybuilders get sold so much because.....oh shit I need to go drink a protein shake before I go catabolic and loose all my gains
    Docd187123 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information