uhit is offline Member

Keto opinions please!

Hello all, hope you are having a good day

Just wanted to get some insight on the boards thoughts toward ketogenic type diets (little to no carbs, high fats, moderate protein intake). Is it optimal to run long term and build lean mass or just a 'short term fix' for fat loss. (I understand that calories determine everything, however macronutrients also play a crucial part)
    My personal experience with keto is that it works for carb sensitive individuals as they don't necessary bloat/retain water (however this can be argued due to excess sodium/sugar in ones diet)

Looking forward to the responses!

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    There are many people running keto diets all the time and build muscle just fine. From my experience I seem to do better (while bulking that is) when I run keto 5 1/2 days/week and then eat carbs during that other period. Seems to give the best of both worlds. For pure fat loss keto rocks until I hit about 12% and from thereon I need to have carb-up days or I stall completely.

uhit is offline Member
    I find that as I am carb sensitive I can indefinitely cut with keto however my only concern with keto is that while on a cut I'm already pushing slightly less than I would be if I was in a caloric surplus and since keto has no carbs/little carbs if I were to try keto out my ability to workout in the gym would be diminished.

Is there any one on this board with extensive knowledge on keto or various diets (atkinsaleo)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    I find that as I am carb sensitive I can indefinitely cut with keto however my only concern with keto is that while on a cut I'm already pushing slightly less than I would be if I was in a caloric surplus and since keto has no carbs/little carbs if I were to try keto out my ability to workout in the gym would be diminished. Is there any one on this board with extensive knowledge on keto or various diets (atkinsaleo)
    Would not call myself an expert by any stretch but cut with Keto to 12%. What is your exact question?

uhit is offline Member
    The question is basically how is performance affected in the gym as an individual enters deep ketosis (this is assuming performance will naturally decline through being in a cut) and if so what are best measures to prevent such decline in performances while on a keto type diet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uhit View Post
    The question is basically how is performance affected in the gym as an individual enters deep ketosis (this is assuming performance will naturally decline through being in a cut) and if so what are best measures to prevent such decline in performances while on a keto type diet
    There is, generally speaking, no performance difference when cutting using Keto and it also tends to preserve muscle much more than a traditional diet which would be low in fat. Now, some people feel like complete crap on Keto even when keto adopted so it might not be for you but the it is proving to be the most efficient way of cutting.

GGot FFina? is offline Associate Member
    This is my diet of choice every summer and the one that works for me better than anything i have tried. I dont know if its a Keto or not but what i do is eat 8 small meals of a lean protein (fish, turkey, chicken, beef) and then on Sundays i carb up by eating everything in my refrigerator. With this diet i usually loose 1% BF a week while slowly building a bit of muscle.
    Yes you do feel extremely weak at times but i dont mind since i do moderate weight and high reps at gym.

It has worked great for me ever since i tried it 15 years ago, and its the same diet i use every year, a few months before summer starts. With this diet i can get down in BF%, as far as i want. The lowest i have gone is around 6%.

Good luck!

uhit is offline Member
    Thanks for the responses guys.. Appreciate the advice. I think after 4 more weeks of lean bulking I will give keto a try

Thread Information