Pat403 is offline Associate Member

Looking for input

Hey Guys,

I always get decent advise from here so I thought I'd touch base and see what everyones thoughts were. Not that I think my stats are that relevant to this thread I'll toss them in.

Ht: 5'6"
    wt: 168lbs
    bf:10-12

So for as long as I can remember I have been in the bulk, cut, bulk, cut cycle. Through this process as you can well imagine I slide between looking big and soft to smaller and harder. Currently I am on the small and harder side of things and feeling like I'm not really wanting to go back to the big soft look. With this being said I'm not really stoked about the strength limitations that come with not eating the bulking diet. I know that realistically speaking I can't expect those strength gains while eating at deficit or maintenance levels but I was looking for input as to macro's, total cals info and method if I would like to continue to make reasonable gains (size and strength) while limiting the shift to a the soft look? While as stated above I know not to expect some miracle method that will have me beast size overnight with no fat gains but rather I am looking for info that will lead to long-term gains and limit the soft look. Time is of minimal consequence to me as I'm not planning on leaving the gym routine any time soon.

Hope that all makes sense and I will look forward to hearing form you all.

Thanks

RangerDanger830 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Even though you say time is not an issue I can tell you from experience that recomposition, which is what it sounds like you want to do, is a gradual process. I understand the not wanting to look like a beefcake, I don't see why anyone would want to after being shredded.

I am not going to tell you what your macros should be because everyone likes something different. I will say that if you want to avoid gaining fat then simply avoid those foods that cause you to gain fat. Monitor your carb intake, make sure they are healthy carbs, and see what amount works best for you. Too many carbs cause you to gain fat and too little can cause energy issues.

It goes without saying eat a lean diet, avoid fat as much as you can. You should be eating right at TDEE to recomp but I find this is risky if you have not dialed in your TDEE accurately. To allow for some cushion I always eat just over my TDEE by 100-200 calories.

When I do all of those things I find I gain muscle and keep the fat off. Now this advice changes a little while on cycle.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There is certainly no need to avoid fat as much as you can, it's essential in your diet, majorly for hormonal reasons. Other than that the above advice is good.

Your basically describing clean bulking (eating a surplus of less than 500 calories) do you know your TDEE? Is so eat 250-300 calories above maintenance and this will allow you to make muscle gains, while limiting fat, however you will still gain fat but it's a lot easier to keep under control.

Thread Information