Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Beginner help

txnhb is offline Associate Member

Beginner help

You guys helped me a while back. I have a question. Last year I started right where I'm at now. I had dropped down to 185 lbs last year. Then got I'm school again and blah blah blah. You know the usual BS excuses.
    Anyways I'm 5'9 207.4 lbs and about 27-29%? Body fat. I'm guesstimating based on the stickie pictures.

For the past week I've been doing intermittent fasting, 8 hour eating window with 16 hour fast. I eat twice a day. My macro goals are 40/30/30. And total caloric intake is 2,200. I use my fitness pal to measure and track things. Is it ok if I'm getting around those percentages and calories. I.e. One day 40/28/32 with 2373 calories, another day 37/45/18 at 2,023 calories. For someone who just wants along term goal of hovering around 15% bodyfat and building up from there?
    I was going to track this for two weeks and wee what my body weight does and ask you guys what you thought as well.
    Keep on mind I have no aspirations to get on stage just get in good shape and as I get more comfortable with is as a life style come to you guys with more educated questions.

2 weeks into lifting and 1 week into eating better macros. Is intermittent fasting am advanced technique introduced or can a beginner use it as well?

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    You can pretty much use any technique you fancy as long as you are consistent. As far as the calories you are fine if not everyday is perfect as long as it on a weekly basis measure up to about what you had planned.

Thanks
    ~T

Follow my personal story here on this blog: An honest journey
    Trophy Husband - a countdown timer

Reiid13 is offline Member
    What are your goals ?
    If yout cutting your calories seem a bit on the high side , id cut to 1800 and lower 'fat macro'

Edit - Depending on your gym routine
    Last edited by Reiid13; 01-05-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiid13
    What are your goals ? If yout cutting your calories seem a bit on the high side , id cut to 1800 and lower 'fat macro' Edit - Depending on your gym routine
    Right now I just want to get used to eating like this. Not trying to cut just figure out and track where my body doesn't gain weight with caloric intake and start lowering from there. Just building habits before I start trying to get fancy. Does that make sense? Hopefully it does.

Reiid13 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txnhb View Post

Right now I just want to get used to eating like this. Not trying to cut just figure out and track where my body doesn't gain weight with caloric intake and start lowering from there. Just building habits before I start trying to get fancy. Does that make sense? Hopefully it does.
    Yea learning how your body deals with different foods / calories is great

Hey guys last March I started taking care if myself and haven't stopped since. Just started weighing and measuring again to help get myself to the next level. Anyhow 5'9 185 lbs. Body fat guess? By far my chest has been my most difficult area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beginner help-forumrunner_20150108_154718.jpg   Beginner help-forumrunner_20150108_154729.jpg   Beginner help-forumrunner_20150108_154747.jpg   Beginner help-forumrunner_20150108_154807.jpg   Beginner help-forumrunner_20150108_154820.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Hey guys last March I started taking care if myself and haven't stopped since. Just started weighing and measuring again to help get myself to the next level. Anyhow 5'9 185 lbs. Body fat guess? By far my chest has been my most difficult area.
    good on you my man, very nice work, you should be proud of what you have done...very impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    good on you my man, very nice work, you should be proud of what you have done...very impressive...
    Thanks man. My goal is 185 and stay around 10-12%. This weight feels good on my frame but I bet a leaner same weight would feel even better.

Blog Entries
    I bet It would my friend and you will appear bigger because the "cuts" would be more pronounced...you can already see your abs so your right there just keep on doing what your doing....

Does anyone know how accurate those bodyfat machines are that are in some nutrition supplements stores? They are the ones you stand on and hold the sensors. I'm curious and here's why....

I went in two weeks ago after a week of tracking macros and calories. It read 189 pounds and 17%. I was eating on average 2600 calories with a split of roughly 30/30/30....obviously that doesn't add up to 100 but without giving my entire diary this average works better. Anyhow, after getting the results I cut calories to average 2300 with the same split. Today....two weeks after the original scan I went in....after a run which might have thrown it off and I've dropped weighed 184 and it read 19%. Granted I'm stronger, and "feel" leaner do you think this might be the cause of change? My muscle mass went from 155 to 148. I have dramatically increased cardio and intensity in the gym.....any advice? Nutrition? Too much cardio? Inaccurate reading? Hope there is enough information here for some detective work, if not let me know and I'll provide as much as I can. Thanks in advance for your time friends.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Does anyone know how accurate those bodyfat machines are that are in some nutrition supplements stores? They are the ones you stand on and hold the sensors. I'm curious and here's why....

I went in two weeks ago after a week of tracking macros and calories. It read 189 pounds and 17%. I was eating on average 2600 calories with a split of roughly 30/30/30....obviously that doesn't add up to 100 but without giving my entire diary this average works better. Anyhow, after getting the results I cut calories to average 2300 with the same split. Today....two weeks after the original scan I went in....after a run which might have thrown it off and I've dropped weighed 184 and it read 19%. Granted I'm stronger, and "feel" leaner do you think this might be the cause of change? My muscle mass went from 155 to 148. I have dramatically increased cardio and intensity in the gym.....any advice? Nutrition? Too much cardio? Inaccurate reading? Hope there is enough information here for some detective work, if not let me know and I'll provide as much as I can. Thanks in advance for your time friends.
    I wouldn't get your feathers too ruffled over it. You could probably go everyday and get a different reading. What does the mirror say? Let that be your judge. Scales, bf calipers are great tools but don't let small variations get under your skin, it will just drive you nuts.
    Khazima likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    I wouldn't get your feathers too ruffled over it. You could probably go everyday and get a different reading. What does the mirror say? Let that be your judge. Scales, bf calipers are great tools but don't let small variations get under your skin, it will just drive you nuts.
    Great advice. Yeah I get a little OCD with things. The mirror says leaner for sure.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member

Great advice. Yeah I get a little OCD with things. The mirror says leaner for sure.
    There you go ....don't obsess over the day to day......think long term.

Thread Information