ads21 is offline Junior Member

How much protein can the body absorb?

Some people claim that the body can't absorb more than 20-30 grams of protein at a time. Others insist that your body utilizes all the protein you take in. Who is right? Is a post-workout shake with 50 grams of protein a waste?

Or will excess protein turn to fat?

Many thanks

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Protein will never turn to fat, the only process protein may go through is when there is an excess it will get processed into glucose via glucogenesis.

The body will absorb the protein it needs, fitnesstrainer posted an article about optimal amounts of protein and meal frequency by layne norton recently - Phenomenal article by Layne Norton

Motardpdx is offline Associate Member
    Hi, I take an average of 20 grams per meal however...
    A. We have to distinguish between what you need and what is optimal to eat. You probably don’t need more than 100 grams of protein/day regardless of size. But what is optimal to eat is a whole different story, without any real consensus on what is the best. Since there is no danger in overeating protein(except of course if it goes above your calorie needs) the common suggestion is 1,5g protein/lb bodyweight. If you weight 200 lbs you should eat 300 grams of protein. Source http://forums.steroid.com/diet-nutri...e-posting.html

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Protein will never turn to fat, the only process protein may go through is when there is an excess it will get processed into glucose via glucogenesis.

The body will absorb the protein it needs, fitnesstrainer posted an article about optimal amounts of protein and meal frequency by layne norton recently - Phenomenal article by Layne Norton
    So I can't over drink protein shakes? I don't want to get a belly...

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out too...

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ads21 View Post
    So I can't over drink protein shakes? I don't want to get a belly...
    If you take in too many calories (protein contributes to total calories) you'll store all of the dietary fat your body doesn't use for basic needs.

Cody95 is offline Member
    I don't think anyone actually knows how much protein the body will absord at one time, but i believe you can take any amount and the body will still absorb and utilize slowly.

Thread Information