workinprogress21 is offline Junior Member

Bulking and Cardio

I do cardio 6 times a week, for 40 minutes at 4mph while on max incline (for 190lb individual this burns approx. 530 cals) . Assuming I wanted to lean bulk and I needed 3300 cal per day without the cardio, would I just add in the extra 530 cals with my usual macro split to compensate for doing the cardio?

Wintermaul is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadi1 View Post
    I do cardio 6 times a week, for 40 minutes at 4mph while on max incline (for 190lb individual this burns approx. 530 cals) . Assuming I wanted to lean bulk and I needed 3300 cal per day without the cardio, would I just add in the extra 530 cals with my usual macro split to compensate for doing the cardio?
    Short answer: Yes!
    You calculate your BMR and then add the extra like cardio and training. BMR is resting metabolism and when you add how you work and train you get a good estimate of how many kcal you need or burn in 1 day. If you want to hold or maintain the weight you need to consume that many kcal. If you want to loose weight get 500 less kcal, and if you want to gain weight add 500kcal. If you run for 500kcal or eat for 500kcal less doesnt make a difference.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadi1 View Post
    Yes, add the cals back in. The formulas are a good guideline to use but don't live and die by those numbers. Lean bulks are a great idea but remember you are going to put a little fat on and to let it happen so commit to backing off on the cardio during the bulk.

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Brown
    Yes, add the cals back in. The formulas are a good guideline to use but don't live and die by those numbers. Lean bulks are a great idea but remember you are going to put a little fat on and to let it happen so commit to backing off on the cardio during the bulk.
    Couldn't have said it better. Every single client I've worked with has been a tad different at least. TDEE and BMR and any other caloric calculation make good starting places but they aren't the be all end all. I got lucky cuz the calculations myfitnesspal does for me are generally spot on lol

Thread Information